Various Sketches, Ideas, Etc.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Herkimer Jitty, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fleshing out the Anhur-Class a bit more:

[​IMG]

2. Herkimer Jitty

[​IMG]

A few tweaks and additions.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I like the side view, not sure about the "arrowhead" top view. That shape is beginning to be too prevalent.

4. Herkimer Jitty

I was considering a straight-up disc or oval, but I got an idea for the forward lounge (which I'll get around to sketching eventually) that would require a pointy front bit, so arrowhead it became.

[​IMG]

I redesigned the neck. She now has a little shuttlebay... for shuttles and stuff.

5. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

I like that frigate. How big a ship is it? Like a fed BOP?

6. Herkimer Jitty

[​IMG]

About ye big. Give or a take a bit-ish.

7. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I love the Anhur-Class. Is anyone going to 3D render it?

8. Herkimer Jitty

Something I did to disprove someone in an MSN convo.

"No way could the Millenium Falcon ever be a Trek ship."

[​IMG]

Also, if you're the type who desperatley tries to explain little VFX things, then this is perfect for the FC battle scene ;).

Stay tuned, I've got a non-Trek concept coming up.

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Herkimer Jitty

Haha, that's a sweet model.

I've actually got a few different liveries for Anhur-Class ships.

[​IMG]

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa155/Wesson_album/Mothership.png

And here's that non-Trek thing I mentioned. She's a colony ship, most of the crew remain in cryo for the journey, and the colony is fabricated from local resources upon arrival. Once infastructure is set up, the colonists are taken out of cryo, and there you have it.

I'm thinking the FTL drive is some sort of space warp, probably folding space in front of the ship and expanding behind it. There are 2 poles, one forward and one aft. The aft FTL bit can be plainly seen. The forward bit and the "Lighthouse" section have yet to be designed.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

But Star Trek has it's Millenium Falcon. It's called the Defiant. :lol:

Oh and in regards to your last non-trek ship, I like how you think:

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=68027

I have done a version of this ship without the big parabolic dishes on each end using the gold and black sections as the entire drive system. it looks much better.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  12. Herkimer Jitty

IDK, the big dishes are kinda what makes that ship look unique, sojourner.

Anyways, update on the design I've temporarily dubbed "mothership". Scale is provided by a craptastic Connie Refit outline (look at the foundry section ;))

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa155/Wesson_album/Mothership20.png

New "Lighthouse" module with the forward FTL engine and the gravitic sensor dish (without which the ship would be unable to navigate reliably at FTL speeds).

She's not just a sleeper ship... there has to be accomodations for the main crew, including the possibility of a generational trip, fabrication facilities, refineries for practically any material needs imaginable. As such, the power needs are immense. At least 8 fusion reactors provide shipwide power, while a massive vacumn energy extraction well serves to power the FTL drives. Additionally, incredibly large fuel reserves are kept onboard to supply all this.

I'm imagining a crew of around 6-12,000ish, with a few hundred thousand colonists in cryo, give or take.

As previously stated, the FTL drives are a space warp drive (need a really cool name for them... I'll think of one). One drive contracts space in front of the ship, and the other expands space in front of it.

Defense is provided by a number of point-defense laser turrets located at various points, as encounters with a heavily armed foe is extremely unlikely, considering the lack of known alien life (and the unlikely possibility that such life would be hostile) and the highly regulated nature of space travel.

13. ClericWill

ClericWill Ensign Newbie

I really like the USS Durendal design, it pulls together the Excelsior/Oberth/Enterprise-B highlights. I'd like to put together a physical model of this one :techman: :)

Can I ask what designs you had in mind when designing this ship?

I'm thinking Oberth'ish for the nacelle design, excelsior for the majority of the primary and secondary hull and Enterprise-B for the secondary hull/deflector design.

I also really like the USS Eldrige design, I've always liked the "Stargazer" class but have never been a big fan of unnecessary extra warp nacelles which your designs solves. From the side profile its hard to see what you have done with the saucer section. What has been added to the saucer section?

14. ClericWill

ClericWill Ensign Newbie

I disagree, the arrowhead design should become prevalent in new starship design IMHO. If you think about it most TOS ships have a circular primary hull, as do TOS movie ships. TNG, DS9 and Voyager ships dont really have a standard saucer section design. I think that the ship design Post TNG would start to have a similar design and "arrowhead" seems to be a logical similar pattern. The Nova class (which I like) plus the Promethus (maybe I'm screwing up the name from the Voyager episode, but the Multi-Vector Assault mode ship). A standardized starship design makes more sense to me then the TNG era designs of Galaxy, Intrepid, Soverign, Akira, etc. Where the saucer design is inconsistent.

15. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

16. Herkimer Jitty

I was thinking of the Excelsior and the Sovereign, mainly, and I added touches of Ent-B and Obereth for the Durendal.

With regards to the Eldridge, she's got sensor blisters on the topside near the front and the aft hull has a block-style engineering hull-let which holds the warp core horizantally and of course attaches to the nacelle pylon.

Ok, you caught me. I was thinking 24th Century Predator-Class when I designed the Anhur. I've always been a huge fan of Masao's Starfleet Museum.

17. Herkimer Jitty

Update on the mothership:

LINK

Decided on a color scheme and redesigned the Lighthouse. I thought something other than grey would be fun.

18. Herkimer Jitty

[​IMG]

Cardassian R & D has been busy...

... any similarity to any known Federation vessels is pure coincidence.

19. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

[​IMG]

Forward / Rear Views, please? Cutaway, please?

20. Herkimer Jitty

Here's a little something.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa155/Wesson_album/UniChart_A.png

Inspired by CuttingEdge's thread in Gen Trek about redesigning the Starfleet uniforms from scratch.

A little more practical and injected a 21st century sense of style into it (Appropriate, and plenty of precedence. Each series and film is definitley influenced by the era its produced in to enhance the heroic look of their heroes.)

And, Hellsgate, I'll try to get some other views when I can render the ship from alternate perspectives without it looking like ass.