DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This was probably already discussed and I'm just having a brain fart, but do the studios have access to streaming view counts (or whatever they call their "ratings?")

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Problem being that TNG sales haven't been that great after the initial buzz wore off and DS9 is expected to sell only a fraction of what TNG has.

Thing about it, any money CBS makes off of DS9/VOY is all profit. Since the shows are streaming on various sites, they are generating revenue for CBS with zero investment.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I don't think CBS is remastering TNG to get a couple more bucks from DVD sales...it's to continue syndication deals. That's where the real money is anyway.

There just isn't any demand to air DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise these days. CBS spending a ton of time and money on remastering won't change that.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

With the TNG blurays winding down, I have to think they would have announced something by now if DS9 was really in the works.

It's just not looking good, I'm afraid.

5. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's covered earlier in the thread - an inside source has been quoted in a manner that convinced some knowledgeable posters here as saying "no plans" - this means "not happening" in that context.

The maths are pretty simple really, if TNG only just made money on BD then they know the far less popular DS9 will lose buckets of it.

I'd actually say you are more likely to see Voyager remastered, but we will only get either if Netflix and co are willing to pay more for them than the SD versions.

6. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My point was that they have to do 'something' with it as it's worth nothing more in it's current condition.

I just think it's unwise to begin digging graves for DS9 and VOY just yet..
    If it were as cut and dry as some here suggest CBS would have already unveiled their respective headstones by now. I don't think the revenue from TNG season 7 will be a game changer and CBS likely knows this, so it's not like they're waiting to see how this last release goes before making a decision. It will happen.

7. Squiggy

No. They don't. They know no network is going to pick up DS9 or Voyager just because they spent a shit-ton of time and money to remaster it.

8. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

FrontierTrek, who seems to be the best source on this, has been very quiet lately.

I'm completely pathetic, but I'm wondering if that means possible good news?

Yeah, I know. Wake up.

9. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well since no one actually knows, it's all speculation.
    I remember people saying the same thing about TNG before and look who that turned out.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore put up an article from the Vegas Con, when asked about DS9, their response was

and mentioned CBS Execs being in the audience.

11. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmmm.

Could be wrong, but to me that might mean they are still thinking about it.

12. BillJ

They could be thinking about it. But, they could also be thinking there are many suckers out there that would be willing to spend money on a simple uprezzing of the current material.

Like they contemplated doing with TNG.

13. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I don't think it means anything. The execs being there is likely just standard procedure. The Comic Con press conference is the key publicity event for the promotion of this product for CBS. Thats the only reason the execs are there.

Regarding what Okuda said about not being allowed to comment. They were probably ordered to stay on message and not waste valubale time speculating about stuff that has nothing to do with the product they are meant to promote.

14. trekker670

Your points are valid, but to clarify, this was at the Vegas Star Trek Convention, not Comic Con.

15. trekker670

Also, some more fodder from an interview from Roger Lay, Jr.

So, nothing really that we don't already know, except it implies that it's not completely out of the question yet.

16. Squiggy

As of today- Star Trek Netflix "ratings", which is a pretty good gauge of comparative demand for things these days.

TNG: 2.7 million ratings
    TOS: 1.9 million ratings
    VOY: 1.4 million ratings
    DS9: 971,000 ratings
    ENT: 962,000 ratings

Nemesis has 1.5 million ratings.

17. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I know DS9 was not as popular as its predecessors, but to see it below VOY is sad.

18. BillJ

Well, I think part of it is the fact that Voyager was closer to actually being "Star Trek" than Deep Space Nine was.

Personally, I'd be more interested in seeing Voyager redone for HD than Deep Space Nine. If I had to pick one.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  19. Squiggy

Since both shows would require twice the work and maybe get half the sales, it ain't happening.

20. BillJ

I tend to agree.