Quick LOTR movies question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by teacake, May 30, 2013.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, what?

I've never been especially attached to Tom Bombadil, but have nothing really against him either. That's a new one though.

2. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw a lot of in costume LOTR characters in an Air New Zeland flight safety video someone posted on YouTube. http://youtu.be/cBlRbrB_Gnc

I didn't want it buried in a ridiculously long "funny videos" thread. I think it might be appreciated here.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Tom Bombadil: ok, let's put a halt to this epic book for 5 chapters to bring you something different and annoying

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The Tom Bombadil section always gave me the sense that Tolkien wasn't yet entirely clear on where the story was heading at the time. I'm sure he had it all at least somewhat mapped out, but Tom Bombadil just feels so out-of-place.

5. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first half of Fellowship reads like a sequel to The Hobbit (Because that is what it was supposed to be, at first) in that the Hobbits head out on an adventure and encounter various challenges and characters that are mostly unrelated to each other: the Old Forest, the barrow-wight, Tom Bombadil, etc. It is not really until Bree, or even Rivendell, that Tolkien finally focuses the story on the destruction of the Ring and the war against Sauron.

Bombadil is a relic, so to speak, from an earlier conception of the story. (He is also a cameo from other Tolkien stories.)

6. judgeroy

judgeroy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

OK, big geek to the rescue here. The Bombadil section had one very important point in it that wasn't made clear until The Return of the King. Inside the Barrow-Wright's lair, they found the high elvish knives that were made to specifically defeat the Witch King and was the knife that Merry drove into the Witch King just beforeEowyn killed him.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Couldn't they have just bought that those knives on Lore-Bay and saved us from Tom Bombadil?

8. InklingStar

That is pretty much what the movie did.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I can tell you some trivia about it although I'm not geeky. They shot the whole sequence at night, often with big hoses making rain on the cast, and it took months, so it was the most universally hated sequence in the trilogy from the actors' POV, not least because there were virtually no women on set for all of that time. At one point the Uruk Hai (or whatever) who were played by mostly Maori extras, had been standing in the cold for hours while the set was made ready. To keep their spirits up, they started singing Maori songs, which I'm sure was recorded because it was so weird seeing a bunch of orc monsters singing Pokarekare Ana.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

In the movie, was he using one of the daggers they got from Galadriel?

I suspect his sexual needs were being met by his live-in hippie girlfriend.:beer:

11. Skywalker

He was actually using the Rohirric sword he was given when he came into Théoden's service.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks too small to be that.

13. InklingStar

Yeah, it was definitely the Noldor dagger that Galadriel gave him. At least that pays some lip service to the idea of an enchanted blade, though not specifically the Arnorian swords meant to harm the Witch King.

14. Skywalker

Hmm, maybe I need to rewatch that scene. It's been a while, I must be remembering it wrong.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah yes, Hashberry.