Orci says ST series talk "getting real"

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by RAMA, Jul 18, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/17/exc...l-declares-movie-tie-in-comics-game-as-canon/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

So...it's kinda like maybe, possibly, potentially...but only if CBS is interested.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yeah but its kind of like talking amongst yourselves (if you are a producer and have some power to make it so) but then bringing the studios into the mix..so small steps, as opposed to no steps...

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's coming across like a pitch they're making at CBS and hoping they think the time is right for a new TV series too.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Wake me when Moonves is dead.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So basically what he's saying is that when the new movie comes out next year, everyone needs to go see it multiple times, and should grab ten friends to go see it with as well, so that it will make so much money that CBS will be forced to concede that Trek is in fact popular enough to spend money for a new series that will cost them fifteen times as much to produce as a reality show would.

Well, he's sold me on it ;)

:lol:

The thing about Moonves is that he's been given a rap that he hates Star Trek and sci-fi in general, when there's never been any proof that that's even remotely true (unless somebody knows something I don't). If he thought a new Trek or sci-fi series would make tons of money for CBS, I'm sure he'd approve one tomorrow.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Glad to hear it.

Bolded emphasis mine. This makes sense. Provided ST XII does well, and I'm sure it will, I bet we'll have word on the next series before 2013 is over.

8. BillJ

I'm not so sure. The economics of a live-action Trek simply don't make sense. It'll automatically be one of the most expensive shows on TV to make and it doesn't really fit CBS demographics.

Plus there's the Moonves factor. He pulled the plug on Enterprise and is noted as not being a fan of science fiction.

It doesn't really add up. Especially when CBS is making money off of Trek with little effort and not much in the way of monetary outlay. TNG season one remastered reportedly cost nine million to produce, if they keep up that rate it'll cost $72 million for 178 episodes CBS can sell over and over again. While a single new season of live Trek is liable to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-110 million dollars with no guarantees that the audience and advertising dollars will be there.

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

While I don't disagree with anything you said, if they really want to make another series, they'll find a way to do it and the bean-counters will fall in line. The bean-counters are the box. Putting forth a new series will be made possible by people who think outside of it.

I'd be surprised if the series aired on CBS.

ENT can't be used as an example for anything. Everything's changed since then. 2005 might as well be 1985. If there's potential for a new series now, then Les Moonves will put his personal tastes aside.

10. BillJ

At possibly five million dollars an episode it'll have to be placed somewhere where as many eyeballs as possible can see it. So I think that would discount Showtime as a viable distributor. I'm not sure where else you could go with it?

When Enterprise was cancelled, UPN was only paying $800,000 an episode for it and had no viable replacement in the wings. So I wouldn't totally dismiss how Moonves treated the franchise eight years ago.

I'm still of the opinion, mine alone, that the only way Trek gets back on the air is via animation.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

For Christ's sake - I loved Enterprise, but if Moonves "pulled the plug" on it then he did so about a year further downstream than the execs at just about any other media corporation in the world would have. The cancellation of a TV series that cost as much as that show did and was pulling as few viewers as it was is not evidence for Moonves' prejudice against anything.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^Plus, as I stated above, to my knowledge there is no evidence at all that Moonves dislikes sci-fi in general, or Trek in particular, other than the hearsay that is so frequently cited here at the TrekBBS.

13. BillJ

So we'll agree that Moonves isn't a factor, I still don't think it makes economic sense for CBS...

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Probably really unlikely that CBS would be the ones airing it, so, wouldn't their main expense be the Pilot, and then they would shop it around, and whoever was interested would pay the licensing fee and pick up alot of the Production Budget? Or would the Production Budget still be on CBS' head?

Would it really be as much as $5M per episode? That seems kinda high considering Enterprise ended with an $800K per episode budget (Per psot above), not even 10 years ago. Sure, the Pilot would be expensive, and you'd need start costs for sets, so S1 would be pricier, but, once you get some sets built throughout S1, $5M per episode just seems really exhorbitant. Isn't CGI getting cheaper rather than more expensive?

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it all depends on what you do, if it set in the same verse and around the same time as the 2009 movies. On another ship in theory you might be able to use the movie sets.

16. BillJ

I'm going from memory here, but I believe Enterprise was at 1.8 million an episode during season four. The $800,00 was what UPN was paying for the right to air it, which was a substantial decrease from the other three seasons.

CBS would obviously have the option of licensing Trek to another production company. But if they produce it, they would be paying the production budget but also collecting home video and syndication profits as well. But it also is a much longer cycle to get a return on thier investment.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

OK, so 1.8Million, and Babylon 5 got by very well on 1M per episode. How could a budget requirement raise by 150 - 200% in so short a time, when $1M - $2M per episode produced some great effects for so many years? CGI should be cheaper, or bang for buck the now then it was in the Mid 90s and early 2000s

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

If you want a TV show that looks like it was made in "in the mid 90s and early 2000s". :vulcan:

19. BillJ

While its going to be inflated a bit due to location shooting, CSI: Miami costs $3.5 million an episode...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/16/business/la-fi-ct-onlocation-20110216

This site lists current production costs of TV series as anywhere from $2-10 million dollars an episode.

http://orient.bowdoin.edu/orient/article.php?date=2011-12-02&section=4&id=4

It really cost one million an episode to make B5? It had some great stories, but the sets and effects looked like shit.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBS will become interested when someone with credibility makes a viable pitch that includes a good argument for Star Trek being on Showtime, or Netflix, or sold to FX or whatever the plan is.

That's the biggest hurdle, where is it going to go and why should CBS believe it will make enough money to be worth bothering with? I'm sure there are many different ways a viable pitch could be constructed. Someone just needs to decide on a plan and pitch it.

Waiting to confirm that the second movie is a hit, is a good plan. That will make the case to CBS better than anything else I can envision. Everyone buy ten tickets apiece, even if the damn thing is about Khan!