International box office thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USSPhilippi, May 12, 2013.

1. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Not looking too bad, but I think the domestic will be the main take this time.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've only seen a couple of commercials on TV for Into Darkness, and when I saw it at midday on the 9th in 2D, there were a grand total of 14 other people watching.

Last night BBC2 buried Trek with "The Star Trek Story", a documentry from 1998 which depicted Trek fans and even actors as freaks and curiousities. I don't think the film is gonna do very well here. :(

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I don't know. The cinema I went to was totally packed.

5. Phily B

Most people are at work! The midnight showing, and evening showings were sold out here. 50% better than ST09 is good, especially considering it did relatively well in the UK.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

VERY good point. But, dammit, it's Star Trek! Everyone should take the day off!:lol:
    I really hope so.:techman:

7. Phily B

I went to the mid-day showing and there were about 20-30 people? I didn't really count, but most were blatantly Trekkies :D

I think that OS will be disappointing again, but much better than 09. Not sure what affect on a possible sequel that would have.

8. CommanderRaytas

I won't worry about a sequel at this point. I'm just happy they made a film I think is awesome, and I'm hoping many other people will feel this way about it, too.

9. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

it was relatively quiet when i went on 9th but when i went again on Saturday it was much busier. surprisingly high female and family turnout actually

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well US$13.3m in the UK represents about a third of what the 09 film took (US$35.4m). But then again the UK accounted for about 28% of the non USA/Canada takings.

11. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Advertising has been very very poor in the uk. I have been seeing more ads for fast and furious and I remember when oblivion came out that had much more adverts than Star Trek. Still, it has done very well even without the advertising I suppose.

12. CommanderRaytas

The German market has been drowned with advertising. People are curious about it. Regular people, not fans. This is good news.

Also, two of the people I went to the cinema with were only there for Cumberbatch, but hey, as long as people go see it, I don't care why.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Hmm, I'm certainly no expert, but based on this - I have a gut feeling STID won't now cross the $500m line worldwide. I think it'll do well - somewhere in the mid to late $400m's, but I think Paramount may be slightly disappointed overall.

Believe me, I really hope I'm proven to be wildly inaccurate here - nothing would please me more.

14. Phily B

We'll have to wait and see, but 500m would be a great number to hit I think. The early numbers are generally being seen as very good from sites I've read.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I disagree I've seen more adverts for ST:ITD than for "The Fast and Furious". So perhaps it's more down to where you live and what TV channels you watch.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, me too. Definitely seen a higher frequency of STID advertising.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

70% increase, if that holds with other markets (excluding US) then we are looking at a good oversea figure.

Good start indeed ;)

18. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well thats good to hear then :)

I wonder if the last opening weekend only 3 days were counted? I cant remember what day Trek opened on last time. if it was only opened on Friday then its not too much better really.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

70% Wow that's way higher than I was expecting.

20. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good news, but, source please?