Alternative Factor - Worst Episode Ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Komack, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I love The Alternative Factor, always have - highly enjoyable entry. I also love The Empath and, of course, Let That Be Your Last Battlefield! Honestly, I really wonder what pipe those who vote The Trouble With Tribbles "da best episode evah's" are smoking.

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I don't really understand the 'hate'.
    Sure they pfaffed around a bit. I couldn't tell one Lazurus from the other but I didn't really care.
    The episode had great science fiction themes.
    There were a lot worse episodes and a lot more boring.

I loved how Starfleet retreated all their ships away from a threat to the 'universe'. Where were those other ships going to hide? LOL.

3. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing I "hate" about The Alternative Factor is that it could have been a really, really good episode. There's an interesting story here. I don't know if it was bad writing, re-writing, editing, or whatever that made the show turn out as it did.

Maybe some imaginative writer could do a re-imagining of this story someday and clear up the mud.

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

It's the damn beard.

[​IMG]

5. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I did not know any of this. Very interesting and explains many of the episodes faults.

I enjoyed the episode, and all of TOS really. The only Star Trek I did not like nor could I watch much of at all was Enterprise and Voyager.

6. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

"Yay, brother....." :techman: Way To Eden = :barf:

7. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, it's horrible alright. But it's got some comic value in Lazarus constantly falling off cliffs.

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

It almost looks like part of an amusement park ride. But, I still love it. You could picture George Jetson driving it to work.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Are you kidding? Have you seen some of the crazy shit some people wear on their face?

For one thing it would have been better if Lazarus had been alien. In the least you could help rationalize him surviving repeated falls off a cliff. :lol:

10. Komack

Komack Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If not the worst, then let me re-phrase - could you say that this is Kirk/security at their worst? How many times are you going to let an intruder steal your d. crystals and then repeatedly fall off a cliff?

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I do think the security on Kirk's Enterprise was always lackluster, but this episode definitely takes it to a whole new level. :guffaw:

12. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember that was the time when we had the famous "duck and cover" drills in school. Like hiding under a wooden desk would keep us safe from the impending atomic holocaust. Just something to do to help us feel safe.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

*Lazarus kicks rock off ledge*
    "Captain, look out! AHHHHhhhhh!"
    *splat*

If Abrams wants another story to remake, this is the one that needs it the most.

Re: Lazarus' time ship

When I saw this in first run, the prop looked familiar to me. It reminded me of something I'd seen in either Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. Maybe one of those TZ's, where Russell Johnson was a scientist experimenting with time, not sure what device was used. It's not "Back There", where he tries to stop Lincoln's assassination. Maybe "Execution", which I think has Albert Salmi as well.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's not Execution with Russell Johnson. The time machine there is made of a bunch of flats.

That said what's funny about Execution is that the time machine sounds are the base noises for the Enterprise bridge background, which pretty much nails that those sound effects weren't created for Star Trek.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The ship looks sort of like a dining booth...maybe it rotates interdimensionally to come out of the wall at some restaurant.

16. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It would have been interesting had they gone ahead with an earlier script idea of Lazarus getting it on with the lady in Dilithium Control as a way of getting stealing the crystals. We would then have had tv's "first" interracial kiss 2 years earlier in Alternative Factor rather than Platos Stepchildren. Which would then allow Plato to just frickin die finally.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

But you know Shatner would have used the same argument, that if anyone was going to do the first inter-racial kiss on television, it would be him.

18. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

Tru dat!

-:klingon:

19. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The unintentionally hilarious parts with Lazarus falling off the cliffs with a Trek version of a Wilhelm Scream are the only good parts. We'd watch it half asleep as kids but would always perk right up and laugh when it happened.

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our very own Ptrope (moderator for the fan art section) opted to digitally model Lazarus' "time ship" going so far as to give it a section to seal the entrance gap. I redressed it a bit to serve as a time of proto work bee/inspection pod as it kinda' matches the 60s style a bit better than the shipyard vehicles from the movie era.

I can easily imagine the production doing something similar if it had the opportunity it use it again.

Sincerely,

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.