Sy Fy cancels Alphas

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by USS Kongo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I never could get into this show. The pilot episode lost me half-way through, and I never heard anything really buzzworthy about it to lure me back. It was just sorta, I dunno, there.

3. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

The show certainly didn't fall apart like many bemoaned it would after the departure of Ira Steven Behr at the end of Season 1, but neither did it latch onto the grander, epic feeling he left the show aiming towards. In the end, even if "the big picture" felt somewhat stunted it did open some intereresting character beats and emotional avenues.

A decent time filler, with a pretty likable set of characters.

A pity.

Hugo - Bill's the muscle.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Huh, I tried it, but, after sticking through all 4 seasons of Heroes, my appetite for the show it seemed to be (based upon the first couple episodes) was pretty sated, so I didn't follow it, but, I was under the impression it was doing really well?

Sorry for the folks who watched it regularly

5. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't brilliant, but it certainly was diverting. Like most of SyFy's material, hardly edgy or groundbreaking, a bit predictable at times, but put together with charm and care by its crew and actors.

It took 7-8 episodes to find its own groove but when it did find its feet it was substantially more entertaining that Seasons 2-4 for Heroes.

Though that show did have the trainwreck "it-can't-get-any-worse-oh-no-sh*t-it-did" appeal that no show has developed since. Well, American Horror Story is having a good go...

Hugo - We're here on official business so you have to respect the badge!

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think with this SyFy has firmly stolen Fox's reputation for cancelling shows too soon.

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Not too bummed, although I did catch it. Warehouse 13 is better.

8. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I watched the show to its end. It ended on a cliff hanger. I wasn't anticipating a resolution to that cliff hanger.

I am looking forward to Lost Girl, Warehouse 13, and the final two episodes of Haven's current season.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched the first several episodes, the characters were really blah and forgettable. I didn't really bother with it too much. Still probably better than what they will replace it with.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I know it's probably a non-realistic hope, but maybe Warehouse 13 could do another crossover with the Alphas characters and bring resolution to the Alphas storylines (especially as some speculate that certain Warehouse agents are Alphas). It worked for The X Files and The Lone Gunmen and Millennium, right?

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I literally this week decided to finally check the show out, and I have the first two episodes now on the Skybox. Now I wonder if I should even bother.

Ah well. I have a lot of TV to watch as-is (I got the Forbydelsen Blu-Rays over the holidays, not to mention Borgen's second season and some other shows) and between Defiance and the return of Falling Skies and Continuum, I guess I'll have enough SF TV for the year.

That's pretty much AHS's raison d'ĂȘtre. There's a TV show that basically lives on its ability to go completely off the rails every week.

12. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Bummer... this isn't Respecting The Badge!

13. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This doesn't surprise me. It took them so long to announce anything I knew when they did it would be a cancellation. In most cases when Syfy renews a show, it happens while it is still on the air. When they don't it seems to happen just before production should be gearing up for a new season.

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shame. I only started watching it (on dvd) shortly before the second series aired here. I enjoyed it:(

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

BSG got picked up for it's first season at the very last hour before the contracts were up. Maybe they were looking at cutting costs for the lower ratings and just couldn't find a way to make it work.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they are going to pick up the Ron Moore series Helix, and had to make room in their development budget. News that Helix was nearing a pick up happened on the same day.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I only saw a couple of episodes, and every time I wanted to see the "Rain man" satellite kid get shot dead. Every time. I'll settle for this.

18. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sucks. I really liked season 2 and was looking forward to seeing what would happen next.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite thing on TV, or even Syfy, but I will miss it.

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^This. I enjoyed the characters and bigger story arcs, but it certainly wasn't my favorite thing on TV. It seemed to finally be getting pretty good when it got killed off.

Too bad, really. I was interested to see how they would have continued from last season's cliff-hanger.