Perfect Actor To Play 'Q' in nuTNG

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Triumphant, Sep 17, 2010.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My son just said this, and I agree with it entirely. The Old Spice guy, Isaiah Mustafa, should be Q!

"Look at your desk. Now look at me. What's in my hand? It's that report on Tagus III that you were writing. Look down, look up. I'm in safari gear, asking if you'd like to see the ruins for yourself. Finger snap! Now you're in a Robin Hood costume. Anything is possible with the power of the Continuum."

:guffaw:

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brilliant idea! :techman:

3. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ha ha that's awesome!

"I'm on a Tarkassian Razorbeast."

4. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

John De Lancie is the Q. He understands the Q best. The Q is not just a jokester, and he could be older.

5. illeanacross

illeanacross Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Old Spice Guy is pure win.

If that doesn't work out (he's a busy guy what with being on all those horses and stuff) then I nominate Neil Patrick Harris. A lot younger, granted, but still... win.

6. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd much rather Hugh Laurie (House) as Q.... he has the intelligence, the attitude and the dry humor.

John De Lancie nailed the Q perfectly and always was one of my favorite actors/characters through Star Trek..... but by his last appearance in Voyager, he was really looking old....

Then again, they could also just use his son in Voyager to carry on the torch.... he did pretty good as a Q.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No - Old Spice Guy FTW! :lol:

8. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Though the Old Spice guy is a good funny idea, I was wondering what could be a more "serious" idea and Hugh Laurie sounds like a good idea.
    Now I'm wondering what actor could also be Q....

9. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Also, your son sounds like a witty, clever guy!

10. USS Triumphant

I feel sure that Mustafa can be a bit more serious than he is given time for in 30 second spots - probably wouldn't have any choice but to be, really. But I'm kinda liking ileanacross's idea about Neil Patrick Harris in the role, too. :techman:

11. illeanacross

illeanacross Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd throw David Tennant into the ring too but he gets called for any off-center role. Same with Christopher Eccleston. And probably every other Doctor there has ever been.

Except for the 8th. Never the 8th.

12. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bit of a different direction, but I think Bruce Campbell could pull off the Q role rather well!

13. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Ooohh! I like that!

14. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as Hugh doesn't do a House imitation, I think he'd be great for the role of "Q". House's intelligence and dry humor would work, but the role requires a bit of exuberant zany that De Lancie does so wonderfully. But Laurie is talented and could pull it off, IMHO. It's just too bad his acting rank is so high, as he'd likely not take a role like this.

De Lancie's only real problem right now is that he has put on too much weight... following in the footsteps of Shatner, Frakes, and Gore. If he shed about 15-20lbs, he'd be perfect. :)

15. USS Triumphant

I could see Tennant. Bruce Campbell would be an interesting choice, for sure. But I'm not sure if I feel him or Laurie as Q. They've been the wrong kind of zany - good, but wrong - in the stuff I have seen them in.

One thing that would be really cool if DeLancie could lose the weight and reprise his role is that they could imply or outright say that he, at least, is still the same Q. Fascinating. ;)

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

John Noble. He can definitely play wacky and off kilter.

17. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem is that it'd end up as a Data Paradox.... Brent has issues continuing with the character due to Data (or Lore or B-4) supposing to be ageless..... Q is supposed to be as well... or at least not age as fast as a human.... of course if he decided he wanted to look older, sure, but I'd feel that'd be a poor argument for why he's older.

As for the weight thing.... it's like how boobs sag over time.... when you get in your 50's and 60's, it's not easy to keep the weight down.

18. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

You have a good point there too. Q would be a constant through all the many universes.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re-casting Q and making him the same character shouldn't be that hard to explain. Remember, Q as we see him is merely an image he projects to those of our realm. Maybe he wants to project a different image?

It was established in TNG that Data has an ageing program, so he's not really "ageless."

20. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

How about Stephen Fry? He might be aging but he his cloy yet sarcastic delivery would be perfect.

If he doesn't work, I think a completely fresh face would be better. :bolian: