WIP - Prospero Class

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by RichMerk, Dec 8, 2009.

1. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Not too long ago, Truespace dropped its price tag and became completely free for some reason...

Well, it's not my very first model. I've got a bunch of others, but all but the most recent ones are very basic, and the older ones are pretty flawed. http://3d.merknet.com/startrek.php

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I think I mis-used the word "fantail". I just meant a more convex shaped rear, but what you've done looks great.

3. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't wait to see when you add the markings. Otherwise, rather amazing work! :klingon::cardie::rommie::vulcan::borg::bolian:

4. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They all look pretty good to me, even if some of them arent in my style ;) Good work on the Antares :)

5. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

[LEFT]Two variations here... One with the two hulls separate and connected by a neck, and one with the two hulls connected, but with a clear break between them. Any comments? Preferences?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/LEFT]

6. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like the first one, but I'd thicken it up a bit. the Daedalus was a small ship, only 10 decks, and eyeballing it, it looks like one would have to crawl through.

7. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i much prefer the second version. the first looks particularly ungainly and fragile.

8. Nightfall to-Ennien

Nightfall to-Ennien Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would have to say the second. The cantilever of the sphere in the first appears quite fragile. Later vessels could compensate for this fragility with advanced materials, structural integrity fields, and the like, but as this is an earlier vessel, you would want to look at it along the lines of the hull bearing the structural loads more directly.

9. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

I like both, but probably the first image more (but with a beefed up neck to prevent it from accidental - re: Klingon intervention - separation from the rest of the ship).

The only thing that jumped out at me was the placement of the deflector dish. You may want to raise it a smidge. At its current placement, it will tear the bridge and parts of B and C decks off when activated.

Just a thought. Great work on this.

10. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I was just scrolling to the bottom to make a similar comment... It's just not very effective at it's present location. A beef I have with a lot of deflector locations on professional and fan designs.

11. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i prefer the second, probably as mentioned earlier because of the look of frailty. a beefed up neck might look better if you went with the first look

12. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I'm loving this new direction! Reminds me of Klaus's old steampunk rustbucket ships, those were so cool!

13. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

Looks like something crashed into a couple of other things, then flew off together. With the right texturing and detail this could be really interesting looking, very different to the usual stuff we see.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Perhaps the first one with a fatter cylindrical piece going straight from the back of the sphere to the front of the secondary hull.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very cool 3D renders :) :techman:

16. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Here's what I got done today...

First off, I decided to stick with the no-neck design. It seemed the most Miranda-ish. I did add a new hull component to the back section to make it wider, a little like O'Krismas' idea. That pushed the engine struts further apart and angled them more. Originally they were straight up and down. I think it looks better now. I also pushed up the nav deflector. Wouldn't want to slice off the top 3 decks every time they turned it on. :p I replaced those Flash Gordon impulse engines on the rollbar with plain tube thingies, and put the impulse engines on the back of the new wide hull part. Minimal greebles added.

I tried modeling a hatch on the side. It looks ok from this distance, but close up it got all twisted and tweaked for some reason when I imported it into Carrara. I'll try again tomorrow.

[​IMG]

17. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

All good stuff, cant argue with the changes at all. My only niggle is that the deflector now looks like a loud-hailer from this angle. :)

18. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nice... i like the updates.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too :) :techman:

20. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

May I suggest you take a crack at a Daedalus version of Akira, next?