So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

People generally list whatever they're reading, regardless of genre or topic.

I figured it was probably Stern, but I don't know much about that period and didn't want to jump to conclusions. I know little about Haas except that her name is mentioned in some acknowledgments pages from the time.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was definitely great. It did seem to follow the movie closer toward the first half, simply filling in blanks between scenes. In the second half it felt like a total rewrite of the fim, dialog and detail wise. It was a superior rewrite in many ways, but I did have the feeling for most of the book that it should have stuck closer to the film and simply expanded upon what wasn't shown and what was going on in the characters minds. When it did that it was totally amazing.

Now on to Republic Commando: Order 66.

3. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Currently continuing to read the DS9 books and have started "The Big Game" (DS9 #4) by a pen name for a corporate author (not the Borg). The introduction was good. I also just got Season 7 of DS9 from the city library (Vancouver) as I tend to wish to watch the TV series separately and to assist reading of the books. I do not necessarily buy in to the idea that the films are canon and the books secondary. I was at a thrift store recently and got a copy of "Makers of Modern Strategy: From Machiavelli to Hitler (1943, Princeton University Press, 1971). There was a later edition covering more modern material too.

I know the Star Trek canon (whatever this may be) is not reputed to be true to military strategy and tactics (i.e., is not truly military science fiction) though I guess that Gene Roddenberry did have some military and police training; but, DS9 comes close to having military issues as a major theme. Ideas about military strategy and tactics and Star Trek shall have to simmer in my mind for a while.

It was interesting to know that von Bulow may have suffered from some kind of paranoid disorder. Are some people who suffer psychosis subject to internalizing the various kinds of external conflicts and can this make such people excellent military or conflict theorists?

Were Wittgenstein and Hitler both "compensated psychotics" and would this type of disordering be eliminated in a peaceful future or would it be bred into something different (perhaps a Khan Noonien Singh)?

I liked the episode of DS9 where genetically 'enhanced' individuals were people readers worked with by a medical professional with strategic awareness himself. Would people in the future take risks in order to produce exceptional people readers and knowledge workers at the cost of an occasional very bad person?

Of course, von Bulow and other paranoids from the further past may have suffered from STDs or other infectious diseases. We assume that these would be eliminated in the future.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Reading "Pop Goes the Weasel" by James Patterson.

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Starting Trial by Error by Mark Garland.

6. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Devil's Bargain, then I read IDW's Doctor Who comic, The Time Machination. I'm now reading Leverage: The Zoo Job by KRAD.

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished reading the novels Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots by Peter Clines.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Matched the other day and really enjoyed it. Now I'm reading the first Alex Rider book Stormbreaker because I keep seeing the series everywhere and I finally gave in to curiosity. I think I would enjoy it more if I were in the target age group, but it's not bad so far.

I spent the weekend trying to make more room in my shelving by rearranging things, and I had so many moments of, "Oh, I want to read this next," or "Oh, I haven't read this in forever and I really want to read it again." And then I ended up with Stormbreaker. :wtf: Clearly something is wrong with me. :lol:

10. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I recently finished the adaptation of Where No Man Has Gone Before, and noticed a couple of interesting items . . . uhhh, don't know if it is necessary for such an old item, but the following may be considered to contain spoilers - don't want to be scolded.

James Blish notes that Dr. McCoy is on "a special study leave". Granted, the story was written after the fact, but I thought it was an interesting inclusion.
    Also noted, at the end Kirk says, "engage" when directing the Enterprise to leave orbit and move on to the next assignment/destination. I always thought that word was a TNG/Picard thing. See, live, err read, and learn.

11. Christopher

^Pike said "Engage" in "The Cage" (hey, I made a poem!). And he called his first officer "Number One." So Picard drew on Pike in some ways (including the name, it seems).

12. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Just reading reading reading the the next generation 365 book plus reading hand of fate by lis wiehl.

13. Use of Time

Finishing up Christie Golden's The Murdered Sun. Starting up David Stern's The Children of Kings. Really looking forward to this one.

14. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading:
    Mudd In Your Eye (TOS #81) by Jerry Oltion
    A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
    Spectre by William Shatner and Gar & Judith Reeves-Stephens
    Metamorphoses by Ovid (it's been a slog but I am determined to get through it)
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Over the last week, I finished:
    Shell Game (TOS #63) by Melissa Crandall
    The Starship Trap (TOS #64) by Mel Gilden
    Grounded (TNG #25) by David Bischoff
    Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman
    New Earth #2: Belle Terre (TOS #90) by Dean Wesley Smith
    Day of Honor #1: Ancient Blood by Diane Carey
    Love's Labour Lost by William Shakespeare
    Legacy: Forgotten Son by Warren Murphy and Gerald Welch

I've had Mudd In Your Eye in my to-read stack for a while now, and I am happy that it's finally managed to work its way to the top. I've always thought Harry Mudd was a great character and I have been somewhat surprised that he hasn't shown up more in TrekLit over the years. The only other Mudd story I can think of besides adaptations of the episodes of TOS and TAS he appeared in was The Business, as Usual, during Altercations from the Mudd's Angels collection by James Blish and J.A. Lawrence. I always loved that story - it actually was, I believe, the very first non-adaptation Trek story I ever read. It's pretty goofy but fun nevertheless. (I know Harry has appeared a number of times in comics also.)

Shell Game was excellent, a nice little ghost story which managed to keep the true "villain's" identity secret until well into the story.

I mentioned my thoughts on Kahless a bit last time I posted in this thread - I think the book could have been better with a lot more focus on the "Heroic Age" sections and much less of the story with Picard and Worf, which was rather dull and pointless. I know they were trying to tie the memories of the Kahless Clone seen in TNG with the historical Kahless but it could have been done better - perhaps a framing story similar to that which was done for The Final Reflection would have worked better.

In a somewhat similar vein, I found the parts of Ancient Blood that focused on Picard and Alexander much more interesting than those focusing on Worf. I was rather surprised that Diane Carey
    had Picard and Alexander play the part of British sailors rather than Americans
    , but I think it worked out OK in the end. Again, though, the Worf story was rather boring and predictable.

15. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Stormbreaker with a resounding meh. Way too many coincidences that diminished any sense of Alex being talented or smart enough to be worth MI6's time. Coupled with the stupid caricatures of villains, and I'm reminded why I never liked James Bond.

I understand they get better. I might try the next one after reading something else. Right now I think I'm going to try City of Bones and see if it fares any better. I have to admit to being a sucker for the beautiful covers the series boasts.

16. Use of Time

I read Children of Kings yesterday in two sittings. Couldn't put it down. I love Pike stories and had just finished up Friedman's Legacy prior to reading this one. I want to find a copy of Burning Dreams as I've heard good things.

I am going back to the Bantam books for awhile. Just got into Planet of Judgement which reminds me of a Jurassic Park type scenario. Lots of redshirts to serve as fodder through the story.

17. Christopher

Hmm... I guess if you're only a few chapters in, I can understand how you'd see it that way. As you'll soon find out, it ends up going in a very different direction.

18. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Gene DeWeese's Original Series novel, Chain of Attack.

Currently finishing up Jeff Mariotte's The Folded World.

The Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo cut into my reading time this weekend. I'm stoked and amazed at how huge an event that has become!

19. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Just finished K. W. Jeter's Star Wars Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. This does not inspire me to read his two DS9 novels. While I thought the plot was good and I really liked the character of Kud'ar Mub'at (which is saying a lot because I hate spiders), his writing style was so repetitive it could be a real chore to get through it at times.

Today I celebrate the start of Peter Davison month by reading Doctor Who: Divided Loyalties by Gary Russell. Up on deck is Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

20. Use of Time

It sure did. I enjoyed this book though. A really cool sci-fi story packed into 150 pages.