Saw My First TOS episode!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by deadman_uk, Dec 24, 2009.

1. deadman_uk

deadman_uk Commander Red Shirt

Excellent! thanks very much, I shall watch them in this order.

2. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    deadman uk,
    enjoy the TOS and I know how you feel. I just got another job after being unemployed for a while too. Good luck and don't worry. You'll find a job real soon!:techman:

3. Alexander

Alexander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh, I've just gotten started on these, too! As a second generation 'Trekkie' with my mother braving the fandom before me, I grew up watching the newer shows as a child, when they really were brand new. I can still remember the times when I thought Deanna Troi was the most beautiful woman on earth... or in space, I suppose, to be accurate.

Now, I'm a bit more grown up than I was then and somehow got roped into watching the first few episodes of TOS with my family on the xBox with our Netflix. I'm a little over half of the way through the first season, though I broke order to watch 'A Piece of the Action' because a friend told me it was funny, which it was. I have been very impressed by the hilarity of TOS. "Spock is so spunky!" is usually all I have to say when my family asks me how it is going.

I'm very glad to know I'm not the only person watching it through for the first time. I thought for sure I was the last one on the planet!

4. deadman_uk

Thanks Anji, yes, I'm sure a job will come my way soon.

Alexander, I've seen approximately 5 episodes of TOS now and watching them in production order. I can't say it's better than TNG, DS9 or VOY but as much as I love ENT, I'd have to say TOS is better..........argh I hate putting ENT down but something about that show, even during season 3 and 4 isn't quite right. Out of curiosity, what is your favourite Trek? Mine is VOY.

The last episode I watched was "The Enemy Within". What I kept wondering to myself was why didn't they send a shuttle over to rescue the team on the cold planet? I know the real reason was because the shuttle was not thought of in such as early season and/or they had no model of a shuttle to film. Even if the weather down there was too bad to send a shuttle, they could have at least suggested it the show though... geez! Even without shuttles, they must have had escape pods, they could have crash landed one of those to keep the team on the planet warm, or replicate a gas heater or something! The crews whole attitude was "oh well, no teleporters, no help".

5. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

It's like a huh moment no no

6. La'T'Freja

La'T'Freja Ensign Newbie

I think they did indeed say it was because she's a woman in the commentary/documentary (I forget what I was listening to lol) to that episode that's found on the remastered DVDs. I think the network felt a woman as such an authority figure was unrealistic.
    It was in a similar vein to their use of the initials D.C. Fontana instead of billing her as Dorothy Catherine Fontana; they didn't want viewers to be put off by the fact that some episodes were written by a woman. Also, networks at the time were generally unwilling to hire female writers (I also heard at least one of these points somewhere on the DVDs)

Oh the '60's.

7. deadman_uk

Wow that's shocking. Thanks for verifying that, very interesting.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read that test audiences (including women) reacted very badly to her - they couldn't handle the idea of a woman in the position of power and were saying "Who the hell does she thinks she is".

OTOH, producer Herbert Solow later claimed that this was not a reason, and that they were objecting to the actress, not the character, since she was pretty much unknown and cast for being Roddenberry's girlfriend. If that is true, than it's funny that they didn't object when she reappeared in a platinum wig as Christine Chapel.

9. Alexander

Alexander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I must admit, I do not have favorites. I've just started seriously watching and of the different series, and so I can't accurately say that I like one over the other. Right now, though, I must say out of all the different Star Treks that I have sampled, TOS is winning in my polls. It's not put together quite the same as a more modern series is, but it is endearing. I like it :)

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad you've started watching. The stories make up for any kind of special effects. I'm sure they looked pretty good in '66. We're so demanding with our SFX nowadays. :)

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

What they objected to was that she (Majel Barret as 'Number One') would have been the 'second lead'; and if/when the relationship with the show's Executive Producer went bad (GR was a KNOWN womanizer); it could cause major issues for the show's production.

As 'Nurse Chapel', if Majel ever decided to bail; who cares? She's a talking extra at that point, easily replaced.

12. deadman_uk

I've seen several more episodes including "Charlie X" and "The Naked Time". Both episodes I really enjoyed watching. "The Enemy Within" was pretty good too.

Charlie X reminded me of the Voyager episode "Q2".

13. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree.....:techman:;)

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Hope you enjoy them Deadman! It sure would be cool to see TOS again for the first time. I've been a fan since I was 12. I'm 27 now, and TOS is my favourite. DS9 and VOY close behind.

15. deadman_uk

What? No mention of TNG? why is that? Thanks, I will enjoy them. Kirk is a very different Captain to what I've seen before in Trek. He is similar to Sisko I guess, I don't know.. hard to explain.

16. Steven Of Nine

Steven Of Nine Commodore Commodore

Your opinion is your own, and I'm jealous of your first-viewing status. But Sisko is not comparable to Kirk other than both are Trek characters.

17. deadman_uk

It is an opinion based on watching just a handful of episodes. I compare them both as they are both rather agressive in their roles. Just look when Sisko met Q, he was violent. I can't imagine Picard, Janeway or Archer acting like that but I can with Kirk.

Maybe I am making no sense lol, nevermind :techman: