New Build, USS Vengeance from Star Trek XII

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Apr 28, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

:lol: Agreed - particularly with the two massive balls flanking on either side of the main nav deflector serving as photon launchers. You can't really get any more masculine than that, short of having a third engine nacelle smack dab in between them.

To make it a proper dreadnaught, of course. :devil:

2. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Well, I finalized the model, and got it separated into components for texturing. Now, I'm really going to start putting textures on it. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates this week... maybe I'll get to finish it. :)

-Ricky

3. poserverse

poserverse Ensign Newbie

What formats are you releasing in?

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Oh, damn! Madman, that is REALLY looking awesome! For the little and vague screen time she got in Into Darkness, I thought the Vengeance was a very menacing looking ship, and it looks like you are capturing that menace beautifully. I am anxious to see her textured up! :)

5. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He's releasing it in .blend (Blender) format im sure...since thats what he uses. But usually someone on his site converts it into .max (3ds Max) and .lwv (Lightwave) after a couple of weeks or so.

Hey Madman, Incredible job dude. You're one of the best, if not the best.

6. Kotowboy

Kotowboy Ensign Red Shirt

The more I see Into Darkness - the more I think that the saucer is just a shield for the bridge. I don't think there's any windows or anything in there...

7. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:bolian: Great progress MadMan! Loving the reveal!

8. Mycroft Maxwell

Hey Madman, you still using Blender version 4.5?

9. MadMan1701A

Thanks guys. I'm about 99% done now, so I should have pics tonight. :)

I switched over to 2.66 about 6 months ago, to learn the new interface. Things were changing so much, that I didn't want to get too far behind.

Still learning how to get my textures to look like I want, and render settings tweaked, too.

-Ricky

10. Mycroft Maxwell

2.66? isn't that even an older version??

I got 2 versions on my pc. 4.5 and 4.9 . I been having issues getting the backbuff to work when i load certain meshes. your JJprise v6 for example. one day i loaded it and found the backbuff was no longer working. i had to load the setup i had of the jjprise over town and work with it. ever encountered that problem?

11. MadMan1701A

Nope, 2.68 is the latest version out, but I haven't upgraded to it yet.

You probably have 2.4.5 and 2.4.9... which are the two versions I was using up until recently. :)

Usually the backbuf will break if the image you used as the background got moved, or something like that. I only use that for WIP images though... anything else I composite together with Photoshop.

-Ricky

12. Mycroft Maxwell

Well looks like Im gonna have to add yet another version to my computer. I haven't really felt inspired lately. I think its because I have started to forget the tricks I knew to create neat renders. I don't have photoshop, so I can't really doanything to the renders outside of blender.

Does anyone know of a good image editing program...like the best freeware program?

13. MadMan1701A

Yep. :)

GIMP is the open-source alternative to Photoshop, just like Blender is to Lightwave or Maya.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Also, Paint.NET is pretty good, but doesn't do as much.

http://www.getpaint.net/

Yeah, the newer versions of Blender are a lot different, too, but don't let that scare you off. It is better, in the long run. :)

-Ricky

14. MadMan1701A

Well, I got it finished tonight!

Here's a quick wallpaper I did, just to show it off. :)

I'll build some orthos and stuff later. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

See you guys tomorrow. :)

-Ricky

15. poserverse

poserverse Ensign Newbie

cannot wait to use this in Vue to do some renders

16. Mycroft Maxwell

Well, I thought it looked perfect, then stupid me started comparing with a picture of the vengence.
    Looks great. Fine as is in my opinion. But if you want to be perfect, A few details are off from this picture...which Im not sure if this picture is accurate or not....
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Vengeance_(alternate_reality)

What i see off is the area around the balls..the part that encases them. and the top edge of the deflector. Im trying to figure out what in the world is going on in the picture below the bridge. They kinda look like extra big windows or something. Take a look at the picture at memory alpha and tell me what you think.

17. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

The area below the bridge is the sensor array, not a window. Ignore the random colors.
    [​IMG]

18. MadMan1701A

Yeah, it's not 100% accurate to the picture, or any of the other references. :)

While building it, i used the Hot Wheels model for reference, the little QMX model, the Big QMX model, and then finally screencaps. It ended up being parts of all of them.

The area beneath the bridge is weird... to me, it looks like they set it up to be mirror reflective, and all of those blue lines look like window reflections. I didn't like that, so I didn't do that on mine. :)

Also, the model in the movie seems to look different than the one in the above picture... it's almost like they went back and tweaked some stuff afterwards.

-Ricky

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I know this maybe too much to ask, but could you do another version with the same color as the Enterprise? I really wonder what it would look like with a proper Starfleet ship color.

20. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think you have done a great job in modelling and rendering the Vengeance.

Personally, I think it is one butt ugly ship design. And why make it dark other than to show good versus evil. In the darkness of space, it won't really make any difference what color it is, unless you are close to a sun or someother light source.