So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm kinda juggling a couple of books right now, "The Reality Dysfunction Part 1", "Star Wars: Darth Plaguies" and "Star Trek Destiny: Gods of Night"

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just ordered Star trek - The Captain's Table Omnibus from Amazon.com. For about $6, I get the 6 Captain's Table books (not counting Tales from the Captain's Table) in one big book. I've heard good things about the Captain's table books, so I'm excited to get it.

3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished A Time to Sow on the train this morning. Quite enjoyable, but then I'm predisposed to liking Dilmore and Ward from Vanguard. I actually think the book does one of the best jobs of utilizing all the crew, too. (Troi seems a little underused, but she has two good scenes. And I imagine she'll have some more to do in the second book.)

Got about two chapters into A Time to Harvest which has a really cool Riker chapter where's being all encouraging/mentoring.

kirk55555 It's been a long time, but I tried re-reading Dujonian's Hoard recently and couldn't get through more than 15 pages.

4. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Finished Destiny: Gods of Night by David Mack on Friday. It was an enjoyable read and I loved the crossovers between the Enterprise, Titan and Aventine. The only aspect that annoyed me was the cut to the Columbia segments. I know they're essential to the story, and on its own it was quite interesting, I just wish that all of the Columbia elements were in the second novel. Book One would then have a more shocking WTF!?! factor.

Anyways, I'm taking a bit of a break and reading the (so far), rather excellent Ex Machina by our very own Christopher. A popular choice of late, it seems. :)

5. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gotta get "Ex Machina" (did I just say that I have to get out from the machine?). Finished "Taking Wing" by Martin & Mangels; then finished "The Red King" by Mangels and Martin; and, am now reading "Orion's Hounds" by Bennett. Destiny lies in the future.

6. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Any chance that all this renewed interest in Ex Machina could lead to another book in the series? I'll rebuy it as an ebook if it'll help. ;)

7. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's funny this is all coming up now, I just finished reading Ex Machina myself! I've had it on my pile for some time, and it was Forgotten History that finally led me to picking it up.

8. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

finished NF: Blind Man's Bluff (waited for the MMPB) and The Rings of Time.

opinions are minutes away on the respective threads :)

Next is That Which Divides

9. CaptainSarine

CaptainSarine Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds - you can find my review over at http://aravenousreader.blogspot.fr and see why I gave it 3 and a half tiny, tiny cyborg elephants out of 5! ;D

10. Kertrats47

Just wrote my review for Una McCormack's Hollow Men. Superb book, especially since it features one of my favorite characters and is a follow-up to one of my favorite all-time episodes!

Right now, I'm reading Escape From Camp 14, the story of a young man who defected from North Korea. Really touching, and incredible what people in that country have gone through and continue to experience to this day.

11. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I just finished Vanguard: Storming Heaven. Wow! That's the only word I can think of right now to describe my feelings about it.

I'm now reading New Frontier: Fire on High.

12. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

So far, I've finished: Ex Machina (2nd time reading), The Kobayashi Maru (2nd time reading), and I'm now reading Spock's World for the first time. (Strange, I know...lol.)

Next: Forgotten History and Time For Yesterday.

13. CaptainSarine

CaptainSarine Commander Red Shirt

Just posted my review of The Technologists, a great historical mystery novel by Matthew Pearl set around the first class of MIT. Although it is riveting, I found it slightly less interesting than his previous works. Still, I really enjoyed it.

14. Mysterio

Mysterio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just started 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. I loved the Red/Gree/Blue Mars series. I hope this is equally enjoyable. This should keep me going until Plagues of Night becomes available next week.

15. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    The Dominion War (book one) by John Vornholt

16. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally finished A Clash of Kings. I did ultimately like the book, though it got a bit tedious towards the end because I was itching to finish it up and get on to something new. That's the thing about longer books, I find.

Onto Doctor Who And The Ice Warriors now. I also started listening to the audiobook for The Daleks' Master Plan a few nights ago and loving it so far. Read by two of the original actors, it also has sound effects, music...and Dalek voices by Nicholas Briggs!

17. Kertrats47

Just posted my latest review, for Laurence Yep's Star Trek #22: Shadow Lord. I definitely wasn't the biggest fan...

18. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished "Orion's Hounds" by CLB and enjoyed it much. Only one very minor criticism. In "Why Do I Feel Guilty When I Say No?" which is a book about assertiveness it suggests that if anyone claims not to have an agenda, then their anxiety will force an agenda on them. Science has numerous agendas and so do the people associated with this social institution. The important point is to remain aware of the assumptions and agendas that must exist. I do not need to ask questions about themes in Treklit: I need to read more books and get the answers. Also, to become aware of the TV shows I am signing out and watching the DS9 episodes from my local library. Downloaded "Ex Machina" by CLB today. Also downloaded the book by Joel Kirk on Asians and the franchise.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I tend to see Shadow Lord as representing an alternate timeline where the Prime Directive didn't exist (or was defined much more narrowly), and a cautionary tale for why there should be a Prime Directive. Looked at that way, it isn't so bad.

20. Kertrats47

Ooh, that is helpful, thanks! I still feel as though Shadow Lord was basically a mish-mash of elements that Laurence Yep enjoyed, with the "Star Trek" label slapped onto it, though.