The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The assassination of a president or other major political figure is quite a bit different than a DA in a corrupt city turns out to have some skeletons in his closet. He wasn't a JFK or a MLK a leader in national or world-wide politics that paved the way for a huge change in the way people acted or thought.

He was the DA in one of the most corrupt cities in the world. Hardly a blip on anyone's radar outside of Gotham and after eight-years probably not even regarded much. On a local, city-wide scale the circumstances around the death of DA isn't news anymore after 8 years. That his death was covered up and lied about a bit, yeah, that might get a few people's interested piqued a bit but it wouldn't be too big of an incident.

Hell, look at New York and Charlie Rangel a man who is corrupt, was censured for it by Congress and the city of New York still didn't care and re-elected him anyway.

I doubt a little scandal about a DA is going to be blip on the pubiic's radar after eight years especially in this day and age.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But might not the outrage/rioting/whatever, be over the Batman side of the equation, rather than about Harvey

3. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^That's kind of my thought.... people are less pissed about the idea that Harvey ended up being bad and more pissed about the fact that Batman, the guy who was actually succeeding in making Gotham a better and safer place, was set up to cover for the corrupted DA. And, as others have said, depending on the state that Gotham's in after those 8 years, it could end up being a big deal to the people that the city's hero was taken down for nothing.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

That's reasonable, I guess.. and it kind of leads into the film's title.

However, it merely seems adequate. If that's the story's hook, it doesn't strike me as all that interesting.

5. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hear you - I was mostly just checking to find out if there were details known that I wasn't aware of. Since there aren't I'll stick to my speculation that whatever role Harvey Dent's memory plays in the new movie, it will be a relatively minor one, and certainly not the pivotal spark that sets Gotham aflame.

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I've heard of the term "LieMax" where it's to describe people's IMAX theaters that aren't really IMAX.

How do I know if my location isn't a "liemax"?

8. JacksonArcher

This will help you. The Dark Knight Rises prologue is only playing with IMAX prints of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol in film IMAX theaters. Not digital. To check if your local IMAX theater is film and not digital look for theaters with the code "1570", which means the theater has a 70mm, 15-perf projector.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just a reminder that the actual trailer is still attached with "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" while the prologue is in front of "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol". I was already excited for both films but this just makes it just a little bit more special.

10. JacksonArcher

I'm seeing the midnight showing of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows on the 15th and then Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol the next day. I'm pretty excited.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

12. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's another doc on Dr. Pavel. The Dark Knight ran a semi-ARG as part of its opening. It had the Joker recruiting henchmen (the players). I assume this is something similar, though it looks like it may be a more involved ARG since it involves solving the mystery of a missing person like the Beast, the original ARG for the movie AI.

13. Captaindemotion

I'm too lazy to post links, but there are loads of descriptions all over the interweb for the 6-minute long IMAX prologue, which aired to critics and journos last night. Also, there are more viral links popping up all over the place.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the one common complaint is that Bane speaks in this mumbled British accent which was nearly impossible to understand.

But Nolan hasn't finished editing the movie yet, so I have to assume that will be fixed in the final film. I hope...

15. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Apparently a Warner Brothers spokesperson said that the sound mixing isn't final:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35835

Why they would release something with unfinished sound is of course another question (it's not like CG effects which are more complicated and might take more time).
    But I guess we'll all be able to judge for ourselves when they release a trailer in the next few weeks.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It probably wasn't ready, but they are forcing it out anyway.

17. JacksonArcher

I'm seeing the prologue on Tuesday. :D

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope this thing leaks to the Internet.

I'm not going to Ghost Protocol.

19. Captaindemotion

^ Do you have an IMAX computer?

20. JacksonArcher

I love you. :guffaw: