Moon -- actually going to be good?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by watermelony2k, Mar 18, 2009.

1. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

2. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Sam Rockwell is an exceptional actor with a very broad range. I've loved him in everything I've seen him in. I have a feeling this is going to be incredible.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Is this flick getting a wide release?

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Oooohhhh! This sounds delicious!

5. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds like exactly the sort of film I've been crying out for for a while. While I watch and usually enjoy them, I'm kind of sick of new science fiction films all being about superheroes, set in the here and now and usually adapted from a comic or tv series.

God knows when I'll get to see it though - if it even comes out in the UK.

6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it sounds really inetersting...when's the release?

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Moon -- It IS good

I just saw "Moon" at its west coast premier at the San Francisco International Film Festival Sunday night.

It's a good film albeit not perfect or a classic. This is really an actor's film, and it's ably carried almost entirely by Sam Rockwell's performance. I loathed him in HHGTTG, but he gives a fine performance here, and manages to play much of this film wholly against himself, or his faceless robot assistant. The film is something of a throwback to the kinds of sci-fi movies of the 70s: ruminating on the effects of space isolation on humans, and a little about what it means to be human at all. The pace is slow but deliberate. Maybe it's tad too slow in places, but it's never boring. That said, it's a character drama, so don't expect any big actions set pieces.

The script is good, but it's not perfect. It's got a few logical lapses and a few bits are unfortunately predictable. I won't go into detail, as they're spoiler territory, but none are serious enough to detract from the film.

The production is heavily influenced by sci-fi films of the 70s and 80s, and there's a definite Ron Cobb aesthetic to the sets (right down to some doorway shapes and aping his "semiotic standard" icons from Alien), so it all feels familiar and mostly practical.

The use of miniatures for much of the effects work gives the film a nice solid quality so lacking in CGI heavy films. Sure, not every effect looks 100% convincing, but no more so than CGI. The plan of real light over real objects is wonderful. The filmmakers make smart decisions regarding mixing minitures with digital set extensions, etc.

Director Duncan Jones (son of David Bowie) was on-hand for the screening and did a nice Q&A with the audience after the show. He said that the film's budget was 5 million dollars, but it certainly looks more expensive than that. I got a chance to talk to him at the end of the screening, and then ran into him again at a bar a few doors down later. Nice chap!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then clearly, you don't know Sam Rockwell. ;)

I'm very much looking forward to this movie ever since I heard it's gonna be a One-man show with Rockwell.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well two if you count Spacey.

11. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hadn't heard anything about this, but I think I'll be checking it out now. Sounds interesting.

12. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

The movie that Star Trek should have been! Well, not quite, but you know what I mean.

Desperately looking forward to it going into premier over here in Europe.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only $5mil? Incredible.

Other than Star Trek, Moon's the only film I'm excited about this summer. And I suspect Moon will be the better movie in a lot of ways.

14. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

15. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: 'Moon' does well at RottenTomatoes

I'm hoping it comes to a theater near me. I'm always up for some smart sci-fi.

16. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Metacritic's aggregate provides a much more exact score, but it's still in the green at 68. I'm excited to see it, whenever it plays around where I happen to be at.

18. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not playing around me either. I'd hoped there might be at least one theatre in Toronto showing it, but alas that is not the case.

Is it one of those openings where the film is only playing in New York, L.A., and maybe a few other select cities? I do hope it gets a wider distribution soon... I'm looking forward to this one.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

looks good, hopefully not like Solaris

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Solaris. Both versions... anyway, I found out Moon played in Atlanta back in April. Maybe it will pop up again.