Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

So did Sisko.
    If a captain can be killed off leaving his loved ones behind, what's makes Joe "Nobody" Carey safe?;)
    I think the real insult is Tom & Neelix witnessed it and brushed it off while defending the alien that did it to Janeway. In "Before & After" Tom made Careys death seem a tragedy in when he was telling Kes who died during "YOH" but when he actually died, he was like "whatever".

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A wife?

Children?

Then why was he trying to date Seven of Nine in Relativity?

Temporal Prime Directive (which doesn't exist!) to one side, the second Carey recognized Seven of Nine for who she was in "The Gift" after they took the aluminium siding off her face, no wonder he went into hiding concerned that he would cock up the timeline if Seven never went back in time to give him a boner.

Although if he recognized her immediately in Scorpion?

Would he have told Janeway about this cyberwoman's future to join their crew?

That they could flip her. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joe Carey and his wife were swingers from Riza.
    Joe had permission to step outside the marriage for crewmen bonding.

4. Guy Gardener

Within reason!

He's allowed to bring home broads to play with, but not someone with a nicer bottom than the missus.

5. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I agree. Janeway was being completely honest and upfront with these aliens. Carrey's death was unprovoked, and......well, as I think about it more, it was almost as senseless as Tasha's death in TNG. Killing a man just to show Janeway that they're serious? They're one hostage short now, and therefore have one less hostage to bargain with. Where's the sense in that?

6. Guy Gardener

Well it's less mercenary than the real world matters at hand.

"We need to prove that Voyager has a rich history."

"How the hell do we do that? We burnt all our bridges."

"They're actors, you give them money and they'll do anything."

"Okay, so we want someone from ages ago, maybe the beginning, to show up now, to prove that there's been shit happening under the surface which the audience has been clueless about. Get them really chomping at the bit?"

"Yeah."

"Obviously."

"And then we kill them."

"Well, that goes without saying."

"Ratings gold."

"but it has to be someone the audience loves unconditionally."

"Yes, yes."

"Did we have any extra on staff for maybe 30 episodes?"

"No."

"20?"

"NO."

"10?"

"No?"

"Josh Clark was around for 7 episodes."

"Is that the best we can do?"

"Probably? I mean, we could always bring Lien back and whack her. Give those intenet bitches something to really talk about."

"I heard she got fat."

"never mind. Josh it is."

7. AdmiralScreed

:lol:

I am really going to miss you folks when I finish this show and this thread disappears. Seriously, you are some of the most funny and creative Trek fans I know.
    I'll make an effort to visit some of the other Voyager threads so I can keep chatting with y'all. And even though it's not my favorite Trek show, there's plenty to discuss about it. Being finished with the show and not afraid of spoilers will make it easier for me to visit other threads.
    When this is all over I may go back to the beginning of this thread and read through some of it again, if I have time. This thread has been running since December of 2011, so I am super curious to read some of the old posts and see whose prophecies came true and whose didn't.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could have brought her back PREGNANT (to cover the weight gain) and then killed her, that would be real pathos. Or maybe not, no one but me seems to care about Seska's baby.

9. AdmiralScreed

Didn't the Kazon take her? I can't seem to recall.

10. teacake

SEE!!! NO ONE CARES..

11. AdmiralScreed

:shrug:

12. Guy Gardener

Cullah took the child and loved it intensely because the woman he loved more than anything in the universe was dead and this is all he had left of her... That was cool. The actor (Anthony De Longis) did a fantastic job in that scene.

Although they really should have taken some time in Shattered to do over Chakotay's paternity if that version of Seska still thought that Chuckles was the father.

What?

Anthony is a not just a stunt man but a fight co-orinator.

In the Masters of the Universe Movie, all the cool sword play at the end, that was him dressed up as Skellitor... This is this second worst under-use of a guy who knows Kung Fu on Star Trek ever.

Have you seen Die Hard 2 recently?

William Saddler, naked, in the opening credits, was like a super ninja and by the final act he totally pulled Bruce Willis apart until McClain blew up a jumbo jet to get him.

That's cheating.

13. teacake

Cullah's child will have all his mother's smarts and rise through the ranks of the Kazon, eventually uniting them and invading some chunk of the Alpha quadrant using a leftover borg conduit thingie to get there. He will know all about the wonders of the Alpha quadrant from his father's stories and be keen to pillage their technology.

I've never seen any Die Hard films, they lack spaceships so would seem to have no redeeming element for me. Also Bruce Willis is very unattractive, if he was on a space ship I could overlook this (he kinda looks like Garibaldi) but since he just seems to be blowing stuff up I cannot.

There would have been even more pathos if the child had been Chak's and we never saw it again. This would have been a cliffhanger for Chak's whole personality.. and every time someone complained about how wooden he was his fans would point out that he had hardened his heart because his son was far away in the hands of the Kazon. WOUNDED. Damaged. Needing tender care.. it would be sickening. Probably couldn't even go into tumblr without overdosing on emo Chak. Which is what happened to him in Treklit and it was unreadable blergh.

14. AdmiralScreed

Natural Law: What a wasted opportunity! Put 7 of 9 and Chakotay on a mission together, but no romance!? What!!!??? What was ultimately the point of this pairing? Anyway..........I guess the plot was okay. Paralleling the colonists treatment of the Native Americans in our history was the Ledosians trying to "help" the Ventu. The B-plot with Tom and the flying lessons was funny and ended up being the highlight. What a shame they couldn't have done more with this episode. The set up was absolutely perfect.
    4/10

Homestead: OMG OMG OMG!!!!! NEELIX LEFT VOYAGER!!!!! I cried at the every end. Seeing him walk down the hallway past his fellow crewmen and friends was extremely touching. He has come such a long way over the course of this show. At the beginning he was skeptical, irritable, jealous, and temperamental. But he grew and changed, and by the end he was this wonderful and fun guy that everyone loved! Awwww, I am so sad to say good bye to him. Tuvok's words to him were especially moving. Deep down he really did care!!!
    7/10

15. teacake

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS CAKE DAY!!!!!

16. Guy Gardener

Never seen Die Hard?

You were an Adult in the 80s!

Is this becuase you hated Moonlighting?

One doesn't watch Die Hard because Bruce is fuckable, one watches Die Hard to see Willis get fucked up! You know how in the old movies, the hero would walk through a hail of bullets and they'd all miss, or bounce? In this movie every bullet hits it's mark, but it just makes the balding SOB more surely.

Young Alan Rickman with a German accent?

How's that for fuckability?

17. AdmiralScreed

What can I say? The character really grew on me.

18. Guy Gardener

I like to assume that a telepathic salt Vampire tricked everybody and is eating Neelix while pretending to be his girlfriend.

19. AdmiralScreed

:klingon:

20. teacake

Alan Rickman is a lovely actor who brings something special to every role but I was just never in the Alan Rickman swoon club.

There's a lot of things I've never watched because I didn't have tv reception or sometimes a tv so the whole deal where you passively slump on the couch and let stuff wash over you that you would never have chosen didn't happen that often. And there was absolutely nothing about Die Hard that would have made me rent it from the video store during the renting era. My friend made me watch all the Lethal Weapons at her house, I wasn't in a hurry to pick anything else off the Action shelf after that.