BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup, quite peripheral to this thread, but it's an object that could be used as a dimensional reference if one wanted.

Here's the box next to our heroes, just before they shove it in the "jumpstarter" thingamabob inside what they call the antimatter nacelle.

http://tas.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x03/oneofourplanetsismissing116.jpg

Combining the TAS graphics with Drexler's ENT art, it would appear the box is being shoved into a compartment in the forwardmost part of the nacelle - thus possibly supporting the idea that there's a power-generating reactor there.

Timo Saloniemi

2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Redfern - thanks!

@Timo - that box and two crewmen will fit through the "Jefferies Tube" opening I marked in my previous rendering to go up the pylon.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, good ol' TrekCore..."for all your Trek related screen capture needs." ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Timo

It's a long way to crawl, is all...

Since this is an exceptionally long shaft or corridor by any standards, it probably deserves some means of assisted motion quite unique to it. A dedicated lift type, a zero-gee conveyor, two slides both going "down" but in opposite directions...?

There's also the issue of the "portholes" or other lighted fixtures along the length of the pylon to solve. Perhaps people spending two hours climbing the ladder do need to catch their breath on platforms offering a nice view?

Timo Saloniemi

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

You write about it as if it were a fact that (one of) the corridors shown in "In A Mirror, Darkly" were supposed to be inside one of the warp nacelles.

Watching the second part of this episode several times I was unable to find such hints or is that merely a speculation of yours?

The only hint we get regarding location is on or near "Deck 22", sugesting it to be somewhere in the engineering hull (according to FJ or the Gorn's deck plans) but not in the nacelles. ;)

Bob

6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Were those ever lit? Seems to me that they were always dark, probably just black painted rectangles on the model. Maybe on the TOS-r CG ship, I never paid close attention to that particular detail...

I had always interpreted those to be some sort of sensor emplacements or other hardware useful for the warp engines... not windows at all.

--Alex

7. blssdwlf

I don't think the portholes were lit in the original FX for the warp nacelle pylons, either.

I haven't thought much more about the structure of the pylon other than the types of piping and people that would go through it and the dorsal midsection that was ripped open in "The Doomsday Machine" on the Constellation...

8. Timo

Actually, what I mean is that these angled tubes, never seen as part of any sets in the ENT episode, were nevertheless used by Drexler as an element in the forward halves of the nacelles and seen in the schematic the Mirror Archer and Tucker closely examine. (In terms of such detail, this artwork precedes ENT, of course - Drexler first did it for the Captain's Chair CD-ROM, apparently).

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/tos_cutaway_drexler_2.jpg
    http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x19/inamirrordarkly2_259.jpg

I don't think so. Then again, unlit features of that shape speckle the outer hull elsewhere - right next to lit features of that shape. Therein lies the problem, the possibility that these might be portholes Where No Man Has Any Business Going, or that they might look like portholes for mysterious reason X.

It's nuances, but it carries consequences, so I'm quite curious to see what Peter can come up with here. Is all.

Timo Saloniemi

9. blssdwlf

In order to finish up the flight deck, I will need to finish the TCOTK Observation room. So, onto the details like the Comm Panel. Once that is done, I can re-use it for other locations :D

[​IMG]

@Timo - the details of the nacelle pylon will come later since at this point I don't need to know what's in it as I work my way into the ship. I do have a rough idea and it will have a section to resemble the innards as seen on the Constellation and from another angle. I think based on the piping I have going up, it's inline with what is seen.

As to manual entry vs a powered lift, I'll decide at a later date :)

10. DanGovier

DanGovier Commander Red Shirt

11. blssdwlf

@DanGovier - Thank you just made my day :) You keep up your good minecraft work as well!

I've been under the weather the last few days buy managed to squeeze in the texturing on the comm panel. I think it'll be good enough for now:

[​IMG]

12. Robert Comsol

Fascinating work! :techman: Before I scrolled down the page I couldn't even tell it was a CGI recreation. :eek:

But I think the intercom push button could be larger (I do think the intercom push button on Kirk's bridge chair is even bigger, but you get the idea?).

Bob

13. blssdwlf

@Bob - Good catch. I adjusted the push button to be wider and a little more rounded. Also tweaked the panel color to be more orange.

[​IMG]

And this is the "Mudd's Women" version that doesn't have the rivets and a minor alteration here or there.

[​IMG]

14. Robert Comsol

Sorry I have to get back again to the flight deck for a minute. If I remember correctly from this shuttlebay VFX miniature thread (I posted the link here several weeks or months ago) the white sign supposedly said "Warning Fire".

You interpret this unique port side wall structure as a refueling station. Alternately, I think we could be looking at an engine test installation, i.e. shuttlecraft is "glued" to the platform while performing an engine test at full power and those wall bumps are sensors that measure output and thrust.

Bob

15. blssdwlf

From the reference shots of that section, the white block above the block with angled down pipes said, "FUELING STATION". Arguably, it's not very clear from the SD video and could be anything you want it to be.

A testing station would more likely be further back, where the clamshell doors are though since engine testing at full power would likely be exposed to space.

16. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The shape of the black "grommet" around the white button looks conical in your WIP but I'm seeing more of a flat washer/cylindrical collar setup in that reference photo. Kind of like the cross-section of a boater hat.

17. blssdwlf

@BK613 - I think you are right. It's hard to make out but I can see what you're talking about here. Thanks for the catch! :)

18. blssdwlf

Made a correction to the black grommet to have a hat profile. Modeled the wall red alert panel as well...

Question for those that might know: Are there published color swatches (digital or scanned) of the interior colors?

[​IMG]

19. blssdwlf

And now the TCOTK Observation room:

[​IMG]

20. blssdwlf

Added "best approximations" for the three greebles in this room...

[​IMG]

also, this next image is a tangent to the dilithium holder seen on the TWOK Enterprise and TVH BOP. A nice touch to Scotty's line about "converting the dilithium sequencer into something a little less primitive"... by borrowing the design from the Enterprise :)

[​IMG]