Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Yep. Don't have to remind me about that...but for some reason I did think it was twelve issues long.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, and I say this with direct experience, Marvel wants to downplay the whole "Bendis last Avengers story" angle. I wrote that into an article a few months ago, and Marvel had me take it out. :) As was said to me, "It's bigger than that."

I haven't been reading Age of Ultron, but I did pick up Superior Spider-Man #6AU today. I enjoyed it, but it's hard to recommend.

I'm dropping Young Avengers. We're three issues in, and I simply don't care about any of the characters. And, yes, it still needs more Kenickie.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do hope marvel pays you handsomely to even think they have editorial control.

4. Admiral_Young

@Allyn, that's why they decided to make it an event. Everyone who has been following Age of Ultron from the start knows that it was originally supposed to be Bendis finale, despite what Marvel or Bendis claims now.

5. Guy Gardener

Revisionist goodspeak.

The truth is disposable.

6. Admiral_Young

Revisionist Bendisspeak? ;)

7. Allyn Gibson

I don't even get comps. :(

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure that most of the heroes of the Marvel Universe know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Why in Age of Ultron do we have Iron Man, She Hulk, and others acting like this is the first time they've ever seen him without the mask, and that they have had no prior clue as to his identity? They've known him and fought beside him, and have probably even sat down to lunch with him for years.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Knowledge of Spidey's ID was wiped out for everyone when OMD happened. Eventually he unmasked again to the New Avengers and the Fantastic Four, but She Hulk and Red Hulk were not part of that.

Not sure about Iron Man...

10. Admiral_Young

Yeah One More Day and One Moment In Time erased the world's knowledge of Peter's identity. Doctor Strange performed a spell along with Tony Stark and Reed Richards in One Moment in Time that wiped out the knowledge. Only MJ at that point retains knowledge because Peter had a weak moment and pulled her outside of the bubble (i could be misremembering things).

Right now in the proper 616 reality only MJ, Carlie Cooper, and the Fantastic Four (Johnny had Peter reveal his identity to them) are aware of his identity. I think also his New Avengers teammates know who he is, and Captain Marvel (Carol).

Also after the events of Spider-Island the spell has begun to weaken itself according to Doctor Strange, through Peter's antics during that arc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  11. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I think Pete's been trying to limit how many know his ID - although (and I haven't read this storyline yet so don't kill me) but is this really Pete or is this Octo-Pete? But yeah I think the Avengers at large don't really know who he really is nor do some really care.

i think all of them kinda know by this point but either a) don't care or b) Peter isn't that famous so they could give a rat's ass.

"Yeah he's uhm Peter Parnell or something. Something with a P. I dunno."

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Out of curiosity, who said this to you?

If they are not lying their ass off about the ending (like they usually do), well it would suggest that AoU could lead to the inclusion of Marvelman into the Marvel Universe.

13. Admiral_Young

Superior Spider-Man #5AU was better than all first three issues of Age of Ultron put together. Christos Gage writes Otto-Peter extremely well.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

15. Allyn Gibson

At the moment, there are three people at Marvel who review the copy I write for them. It was one of those three, but I don't remember which one at the moment without checking my work e-mails.

16. Guy Gardener

And that would be unnecessary name calling.

This is job related, which means you could could lose you job if you talk to much, even if they are not comping you, but I do hope they are "paying" you, which is none of my business.

My first retort was because I imagined, after checking your blog for your professional background, is that you received a random, uncalled for and unwarranted cease and desist THREAT from Marvel's legal department be it worded ever so charmingly.

People are fired every day because their facebook page reflects poorly on their employer.

Welcome to the 21st century.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  18. Admiral_Young

Guardians of the Galaxy #1 was excellent. Just when Bendis manages to irritate you with one book, he comes back right with another one that impresses you. As I mentioned a while ago, I had originally intended to not bother with this book when it was first announced, the prologue issue though really got my attention and this issue was just great. I was originally skeptical of Tony being on the team, but I can see this eventually working out. The McNiven artwork was great as well. Both this and Nova have surprised me big time so I'll continue following them.

As for next weeks pulls:

-Age of Ultron #4
    -Deadpool #7
    -Indestructible Hulk #6
    -Superior Spider-Man #7
    -Thanos Rising #1
    -Ultimate Comics X-Men #25

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed GotG #1 as well. I was going to pass, but with Gaiman coming in for the second arc, I figured "Why not?", and gave it a shot. I dropped Uncanny Avengers with the most recent issue, so it doesn't actually add any extra strain to my comics budget.

Uncanny Avengers was touted as a franchise bridging flagship book, but it comes off as a secondary book for both franchises.

20. Admiral_Young

I dropped "Uncanny Avengers" as well. I get what Remender was attempting to do with it, but the delays didn't help with its momentum and as Turtletrekker mentioned it was being touted as the flagship title of Marvel Now when it was first announced. It was decent, but the last couple of issues were sub par for Remender IMO. Perhaps I will revisit whenever that Red Skull Onslaught arc starts, but for now it's dropped.

I'm glad that it seems like Marvel Cosmic is back in a big way.