On Anonymous

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Kruezerman, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I hear a lot about the group Anonymous and their work, but I also see some frightening things about them.

Specifically the line "WE DO NOT FORGIVE."

So I'm curious, what are your opinions on Anonymous?

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still waiting on their promise to take down Scientology.

Mark

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm torn between flat-out apathy and utter amusement, really.

"We do not forgive"? Yeah, okay. So what?

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'd like to remain anonymous about my views in regards to Anonymous.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like so many other so-called activists, Anonymous are hobbled by ego. They see themselves as badass revolutionaries dedicated to spreading anarchy and chaos (when was the last time they ever helped the government, or law enforcement?) but I see them more as comic relief.

Nobody gives a crap whether Anonymous "forgives". They are not as important as they would have us believe they are.

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I went to their Facebook and I found that they use RT (Russia Today) as their news source.

Now RT has been linked to the Kremlin and has been considered to be propaganda. They are vehemently against the government period.

I consider them more along the lines of anarchists and Libertarians but they seem to intimidate a lot of people, that's my problem with them. It's like you can't speak against them or else you'll feel their "wrath."

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I don't think you know what Anonymous is (and isn't.)

Anonymous' power is exaggerated.

It's important to remember that they are not one cohesive group. They are an extremely loose affiliation of individuals and groups who devote their time, brainpower, and computer resources to the causes and targets they choose. No one controls membership. There are no real rules to being part of Anonymous. That's really the point--they're everyone, and no one.

A lot of the time, being on the receiving end of their "wrath" really just means one or two guys were pissed off and they have access to a botnet with which to perform a DDoS attack. "Anonymous," as in the entire group, doesn't decide who gets attacked, when, and how. It's up to the individuals willing to do it.