Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At no point in that post did I say that all people who like JJ Trek are dumb or self-loathing. Not only that but it's from a completely different thread, out of context and from a discussion that a mod told to stop.

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Nice try, I give it a 2/10

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh no, the opinion of an Abrams acolyte means everything to me :lol:.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

"Self-loathing" has nothing to do with it. The reason we all enjoyed (despite its flaws) JJ's Trek is because it breathed real life and energy into the franchise again. It was big and dynamic and fun, and captured the spirit of TOS better than any Trek ever has.

I adore the more sophisticated TNG and DS9 as well, but it's ridiculous to suggest that's the only way Trek should ever be done from now on.

As for SW, I suspect the real reason JJ (and all those other directors) don't want to do it is because SW just doesn't seem all that cool to them anymore. The dull and overblown prequels killed their enthusiasm for this world just like it did for many of us.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Into the franchise? The movie was energetic alright, but ever since that film, nothing has happened in the franchise for 4 years.

Unless someone can link TOS and TNG HD releases to the success of Trek 2009.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is good news for Star Trek, certainly - there's no evidence that anyone other than he and the people he has working with him can make the Franchise work at this point. If Trek fans are lucky, the studio will keep him on as producer to guide the new director and other creatives after he's made the third one.

Possibly. Star Wars fans would be lucky beyond their reasonable expectations to have Abrams doing those movies.

8. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

In accordance with everything I've ever heard about hell, I would have to agree. :devil:

9. davejames

It raked in tons of money, made Trek cool for a new generation of fans, and removed the stink of the last couple TNG movies. And the sequel will likely be an even bigger hit.

As far as the studio's concerned, that's probably MORE than enough.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem I have with the new movies is that I'm basically watching a glorified fan-film. We are told IN THE MOVIE that we are watching alternate versions of our favourite characters. Therefore I give as much of a shit about this iteration of Star Trek as I do about that alternate Riker who got blown up by the Borg or Smiley O'Brien. I don't want to see movies about those guys.

The Prime universe is continuing on just fine and that's the universe I'm interested in. I resent being TOLD that we now have to follow these mirror versions (no fault of the actors, save for Sylar who I'm not into as Spock. I'm already wishing Cumberbatch had been around to take the role) instead of the 'universe' we had invested countless hours in.

Of course, if the movie had been engaging in any way other than as a spectacle I may I have felt differently. I don't even blame JJ; I think he's a decent director. My issues lie with the writing.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. JarodRussell

Well, since I'm not the studio and personally didn't like the film, I don't care about that at all.

12. davejames

That was just a storytelling conceit to allow them to write new stories for this crew. For all intents and purposes, these are still supposed to be the same characters as in TOS. And I have no problem accepting them as such.

Besides, no matter how they got to that point, the idea of starting fresh with the TOS crew is a really exciting one, I think. And much better than simply dragging out the existing continuity for even longer.

13. JarodRussell

If they only had been portrayed like those characters... I don't see any resemblance in any of the characters, and I'm not talking looks.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So Karl Urban's McCoy was nothing like the TOS version at all? :wtf:

15. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Basically what we got were carricatures of TOS characters. It wasn't Kirk, Spock and McCoy. It was stupid man-whore, pissed off Vulcan and irrate drunk.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling this next Star Wars film is not going to be too great. It seems they want this thing on the shelf whether it's fully-cooked or not.

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of Abrams Trek but it does seem like what he did with Trek would translate better to a Star Wars picture. I suppose if you asked a 100 people you'd get a 100 different answers but I didn't really see the unique qualities of Trek coming through in the last picture.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hmmm.

Kirk-Brash, cocky and determined.

Spock-Cool and emotionally distant, except when he isn't.

McCoy-Cranky, cantankerous, acerbic and emotional

Scotty-Technophile with an odd sense of humor.

Chekov-Young and enthusiastic, but a little wet behind the ears.

Uhura and Sulu are pretty much blank slates. Anything would be an improvement over their TOS characterizations or lack there of.

Perhaps they showed a different version of TOS in Le' Europe?

And a different version of ST09 where ever Yminale lives.

18. davejames

Well to be fair, even the original actors were doing caricatures of their TOS characters in the movies. Scotty was never as wacky in the series as Doohan made him later on, and Kirk usually felt much more like Shatner in the movies than he did the original Kirk.

What this new cast is doing doesn't seem any more exagerrated to me.

19. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 'continuity' was always the worst thing about Trek. Once the franchise stopped being about people and became this hide-bound keeper of Trek history, it was finished.

What worked so well in Trek '09 was the reverence for the characters. It was literally a love-letter to Trek '66 and it played out with such care and affection that I can scarcely believe it when I see people complain that they cannot recognize the characters.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are also people here who think the 2009 Enterprise looks 100% different and unrecognizable than what the "real" Enterprise is supposed to look like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.