Question About Open Secrets

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just noticed something while reading an article. The cover for Open Secrets says Dayton Ward w/o Kevin Dilmore. I thought they always write Trek together. Did Dayton decide to go at it alone this time or is the cover a misprint?

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From another thread:

3. Man of Steel

Thanks Defcon.. :)

Though if both Kevin and Dayton came up with the story and outlined it together, shouldn't his name still be on the book or at least get some form of credit?

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't see Greg Brodeur's name on Diane Carey's novels either, despite the fact that he obviously was heavily involved with the plotting for her novels as far as I understand it. *shrug*

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

How do you know he doesn't?

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i hope KD's okay and all his family.

oh, and pedantry time: Dayton wrote 3 SNW stories solo, along with the TOS novel 'in the name of honour' and an NF shorty story 'Loose Ends'.

to date, Kevin's only solo credit is 'The Road to Edos', another NF tale in 'No Limits'

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nobody's cheating Kevin of any credit. The way it was told to me, Kevin chose to pass up full cover credit because he didn't feel entitled to it. But I believe he does get a story credit on the title page inside.

8. Man of Steel

Well, I hope he's okay.

I also hope this isn't the end of their collaboration as they make a good team.

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I believe Dayton has said that it wasn't a health issue or anything...it was due to time constraints. I think they still plan on working as a team when possible...

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Kevin's fine, and Dayton and Kevin are fine as a team. It was just a scheduling issue. Everyone relax and remain calm. :)

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, but it's not like he would have lost any royalties by losing credit to her, either. ;)

(Yes, yes, I know that book royalties are handled differently from those overseen by the WGA...)

We have seen cover credit given for stories before (Thin Air, by Dean Wesley Smith from Diane Carey's story; Age of the Empress, by Wardilmore from Mike Sussman's story), so it wouldn't be odd if Kevin were credited, but I can understand why he might choose otherwise. :)

12. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

As others have said, Kevin and I developed the story for Open Secrets together, and the intention at the outset was for us to share the writing duties as we have so often in the past. When it became apparent that he would not be available to participate in the execution of the manuscript, Kevin asked that his name be removed from the cover (a request we discussed at length before any action was taken). We're both credited with the story on the title page.

There is no "issue" between us, and never has been. Our next (confirmed) collaboration will be an article for Star Trek magazine, followed by a story in next year's Seven Deadly Sins collection, but don't be surprised if you see our names on various solo efforts, Trek or otherwise. We go our separate ways from time to time, and we've agreed we each can see other writers. :)