IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, TWOK is the better movie... ;)

2. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Absolutely!

3. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm assuming you mean Harrison who turned out to be Khan here - I had a look at IDWs website but couldn't find it, but then I don't like their site.

Where should one go to get info about upcoming ST comics and can you provide a link?

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

The John Harrison miniseries hasn't been announced on the IDW website, but it was mentioned at Trekmovie.com (they verified a tweet by Orci regarding it).

5. The Wormhole

This is what I use. Of course at the moment, only information up to September is available. The John Harrison series (the working title at the moment) is supposed to begin in October.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

7. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks to all for the info - I've only started reading the comics since STID, those links will be very useful. :)

8. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

I had no idea why they were sellers in the first place. Unless there is aditional background info in them why should i buy it?

9. Therin of Andor

There were additional scenes in each issue, IIRC, including a Shatner Kirk holographic cameo when Ambassador Spock meets Young Kirk.

But if you'd already watched the bonus footage on the DVD, I guess you'd already seen everything else.

10. The Wormhole

Way back once upon a time when home video didn't exist, comic book adaptations and novelizations were really the only way you could enjoy the movie at home. But since home video now allows you to actually watch the movie itself at home, and DVDs even include bonus scenes, you can see why they wouldn't be huge sellers. Really surprised me when IDW did adaptations of TWOK and XI and it will surprise me if they do STID.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^There are more reasons to want an adaptation than just the unavailability of home video. Some people like seeing a story told in an alternative way, transposed to a format they enjoy like prose or comics. The TWOK adaptation was (belatedly) done because it was the only Trek movie not to have a comics adaptation, and some people found that unacceptable, because they wanted to see what it would look like as a comic.

12. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Or, it was purely a marketing decision by IDW, who wanted to do a collection of the adaptations of all 6 TOS movies, but they had a big hole -- the one widely considered the best of the 6 had never been adapted to comics. So they did it as a comic just to have the material available to collect.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I notice they haven't made any moves towards adapting Insurrection and Nemesis in order to fill out a TNG Movie omnibus (which could also include the adaptation of All Good Things.)

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, for me, it's that I want to be able to read the full story together. Where the movie is self-contained, I wouldn't be so bothered but here we have a prequel and a sequel both building on what was in the movie. The adaptation is desirable because I can then read the whole story from start to finish.

Just read the latest issue of ongoing at last. I certainly wasn't expecting the story to go in that direction but it's fun enough if a little vague on when Vulcans became immune to heat and smoke... The story feels a bit more comic-booky, although I'm enjoying the interludes with the romulans and klingons.

Biggest grip - still no T'Pau!

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Did that actually happen, or was it just a pre-release rumor?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The scene was scripted but not filmed. I remember reading the text of the scene at some point. It was a good scene, though it wasn't necessary to the film so I understand why it was left out. Although I think it came toward the end of the film and didn't involve the young Kirk.

16. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it wasn't filmed; I was asking if it actually happened in the comics. I remember that TrekMovie speculated the scene would be in the comic, but that was before the final issue actually came out.

17. Therin of Andor

No, or it would have been in the DVD's bonus scenes. Shatner infamously said, "It don't do cameos". (Although he's done quite a few over the decades.) It was scripted, though.

Yes, it's in the comic.

Mmmm, quick riffle and I'm not seeing it. Did they use it in the Ongoing?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The scene can be found in this early (and F-bomb laced, for those with sensitive ears/eyes) script here, for anyone interested: http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Trek.html

19. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Maybe tpau died on Vulcan....I find it kind of outlandish that tpring is even still alive. spock should have just mated with tpring and gotten over it. I don't get why he wonder of into a volcano in issue #22.

the after darkness comics is far far from impressive.

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's possible that she died but in a franchise that so far has no significant women in positions of power it seems like a criminal waste to kill her off camera when they could use her more regularly.