Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i'm been trying to find an option to run the game offline with out having to unplug my router but i cant seem to find one.

every time i run the game i get get told java has run out of memory?.

hangon just relised i've got a 32 bit version of java and my machine is a 64bit would that be the problem?

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably. I had the same problem a few months ago, but back then I used to crash to a black screen every 20 minutes or so because Notch didn't add the warning about memory until 1.6 (I think). I had somehow installed Java 32-bit when I got a new harddrive last year and replacing it with Java 64-bit stopped the problem.

On an unrelated note, yesterday I downloaded the Earth map, where 1 block is equal to 1 nautical mile, to try it out and it was 3.5GB when uncompressed. The biomes are a little screwy due to ice forming, which means that a large swathe of the North Atlantic is now an ice-sheet. :lol:

[​IMG]
    (Image rotated to put north at the top.)

I set out to cross the Atlantic last night and it took me 9 minutes to reach Newfoundland. :eek: Then the game started lagging like crazy, so I had to stop.

3. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

Anyone else notice that anything semi-flammable (read: wood) goes up in flames for no reason now in the Nether? I've had a wooden drawbridge on my castle for realtime months, miles away from any lava or fire, and while walking from my portal to my castle came upon it's smoldering remains. Same with all the steps nearby....and no, I play in peaceful generally (I like to build more than fight, though I turn it on and hunt sometimes.)

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I haven't touched the Nether in a long time since I've been playing on my server. That sounds pretty evil, though. :eek:

5. Hoser

I've been using the Nether to explore the surface world, I walk a long distance in the Nether and plunk down a portal to see what's on the other side. Sometimes I find something really neat, I'm actually hoping to eventually discover a portal near my furthest (and largest) base.
    Side note: Today I found out that the new created areas in old maps do spawn grass. I warped well north of my explored territory and mapped into an island full of grass.

6. TheGodBen

The only wooden things I have placed in the Nether are doors, but I put down a woollen carpet in my Nether hub and that hasn't caught fire even though wool is more flamable than wood. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think I visited the Nether since 1.6.4, but I can't see Notch adding that to the 1.6.5 patch. At least, I hope not. :eek:

7. Hoser

Hm I hadn't tested wool. The door on my castle didn't burn as well, or the new hatch. Wooden steps or the bridge made of wood blocks and fencing did. Maybe I'll put another wood wall somewhere else and see what happens. After all, my forest is still there, and it's beside enclosed burning netherrack torches.

Another fun thing I just learned today, water destroys minetrack ramps and curves. :( Accidently had a spill near the top of a ramp to my mine (that was slated to be removed anyway)....I picked up the water quick, but the wave went to the bottom and wiped every track out.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

3.5GB?? Wow, that's huge. The problem with the current map system is that it's just too low res for it to be close to useful. I made a map and then was wandering around town with it trying to map it and I couldn't recognize anything on the map unless it was huge like Robert's arena. I like the mechanics of the system though. I think it's brilliant. But unfortunately I don't think the low res is something a zoom feature would fix. It makes me wonder why Notch bothered to make a map feature if it was going to be like that. Now, if we could take the maps and put them up on our walls as unique wall hangings, that'd be cool.

I'm also disappointed that maps don't work in caves, which honestly is probably the place where people would find it useful the most.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  9. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

If maps were rendered in isometric, I think that would be better.

10. Robert Maxwell

This is why I don't think the map feature is very useful. It's kind of neat but there are so many better ways to map your world. There was once a mod that put a top-down minimap in the corner of your screen. That was actually useful. I don't see myself ever having a use for the in-game maps.

Yet another half-baked Minecraft "feature." Maybe Notch should try working on stuff that's useful or, better yet, fix the damn bugs.

11. TheGodBen

[​IMG]

Is everyone happy now? :p

Yeah, I think it caused the game to lag when launching just by being in the saves folder.

My whole village is just a group of grey and brown blobs. My bridge and walls don't even show up on it. :(

I'd say that maps have a use in the game, but they'll never be a replacement for a detailed third-party mapping program. They'd be useful early in the game to help get your bearings, and they'd be useful if you built your base far away from spawn and can't rely on the compass to find your way home. Being able to place them on walls would be perfect.

He spent the last month fixing most of the bugs, and he spent the last few days fixing the most recent bugs. He's far from perfect, but hes doing okay.:shrug:

12. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, the maps work well enough to guide you back home should you take a wrong turn out in the wilderness. But yeah, not much use for finding specific features. I wonder if some clever modder/texture maker might find a way to increase the resolution?

GodBen - I have to give Notch props for taking care of bugs in a fairly prompt manner. I think its just the way he just tends to add features in a random, half-assed sort of way, then just seems to forget about them. Wolves, the Nether, Achievement, that sort of thing. They're good ideas, but they only seem half finished.

13. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

He may not have a full design in mind. He may implement an idea when he thinks of one. Sees how it adds to the gameplay and how the community feel about it, before determining how to perfect it, or deciding whether it's worth perfecting at all.

14. Owain Taggart

I can certainly see that, as there are lots of features that seem abandoned or have lots of potential but aren't there yet.

Yeah, actually a mini-map at this resolution I think would be far better, because at least then the resolution it's at would make sense. But a whole map? It feels too much like a wasted potential. I mean, I can understand why he did so in terms of the nature of the game and how everything else is in relation, but some rules are just meant to be broken. It's one of those ideas that likely sound better on paper.

Ben, what's that you're holding? Looks like a shield.

So, 1.6.6 is out now. Among the changes:

• Added a new use for bonemeal
    • Changed the material of glowstone from “glass” to “stone”. This means you need a pickaxe to get resources from it
    • Made glowstone drop more loot
    • Made the recipe sizes for creating cloth blocks and glowstone blocks smaller (2x2 instead of 3x3)
    • Re-introduced unlimited FPS, renamed the option again
    • Fixed beds not working very well at all in SMP
    • Fixed destroying a boat spawning the player too low, causing them to sometimes fall through the ground
    • Boats float up to the surface quicker
    • Boats falling down into water lose their vertical momentum very fast
    • Removed Herobrine

Oh and apparently the new use for bonemeal is to be able to repopulate areas with grass patches.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  15. TheGodBen

You'll get no argument from me, I think that he should have spent the next few updates after the halloween update working on adding new things to the Nether and the new biomes, but instead he worked on multiplayer and he has barely addressed the Nether since. At least biomes have gotten some love over the last few months, what with the new trees, weather and long grass, but I still think they need unique mobs. Perhaps they're coming in the adventure update.

And maps definitely still need some work. He promised that you could set their zoom level, but he threw that out at the last minute because it was bugged, and he suggested that they would be wall-mountable, which I'm still hoping for.

Actually, that was the original suggestion he thought was a good idea, but he didn't do it. Instead, using bonemeal on grass creates an area of long-grass with the possibility random flowers. In the picture, I'm holding bonemeal and showing off my new patch of long grass.

Now I just need to update my mob trap to get more bonemeal, it only half-works now because glass next to water no longer sucks mobs down.

16. Owain Taggart

Ok, now I'm P'd off. Just installed the latest update and now I can't even get to the menu. Black screen. :/ It actually broke Minecraft for me. This is 1.6.6.

17. Hoser

Odd. 1.6.6 works perfectly fine on both of my machines.
    And the drop increase on lightstone is awesome.

18. Robert Maxwell

1.6.6 is working with a few minor issues for me. For one, animals are spawning much less frequently--I had to play for a good half an hour before I saw even a solitary cow. Collision detection when riding carts has also been screwed up. I get hurt when rounding corners where the tunnel is only one block wide. This is fine since I'm on peaceful mode, but it's going to be really irksome once I turn monsters back on soon.

19. Owain Taggart

Ahh ok, it worked after I deleted the texture packs from my folder, otherwise it wouldn't start at all. Darn :/ Looks like I'll be using the default for awhile until the versions stabilize.

20. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh dear lord. This is the third time this week I've had to reinstall all my textures. This better be the last #$%@! update til 1.7!

"Removed Herobrine" NOOOOOO! WHY NOTCH? WHYYYYY?! *sniff* How could a loving God let this happen?! *sobs*

Oh. Sorry.

I e-mailed the list of new updates to Cindy. She'll be thrilled about the glowstone. Not to mention the bonemeal/grass thing. We had lunch today and she was complaining that the new change made wheat seed a lot harder to get.

Robert - The animal spawn may not be a new thing. There've been a couple of ocassions even during 1.5 when I decided to walk cross-country to harvest wool, and aside from a lone cow or pig, couldn't find a single animal spawn (ask Smooth or Cindy, they there listening to me bitch about it the last time :)). So fluctuations in the spawning may be a normal part of the game.

Anyway, I'm donning my flameproof armor and wading into the Minecraft Forum to check the nerd rage levels. Wish me luck.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011