"Yeah, Buffy ... what ARE we gonna do now?"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tafkats, May 21, 2013.

1. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Tonight is the 10th anniversary of the final episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Who's got a favorite Buffy moment? Or two, or three, or ten?

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Strangely enough, I just finished a complete run through of the series on netflix tonight. I saw about half of it when it originally aired but was putting off finishing it for years. I suppose it was suiting then that I watched the last episode pretty much exactly 10 years from when it would have aired here.

3. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously? 10 years? I've gotten old. Put me out to pasture. Thumbs down :(

Anyway, favorite moments, boy there's a ton and obviously this show is due for a rewatch considering how long it's been since it's aired... first thing that pops into mind is Spike sending the "Annoying One" to his fate.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

My favorite moments could fill a book.
    Ten years?!!?! Oy!

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

There are way too many awesome moments for me to choose. I saw it on DVD a few years after it was off TV, and I loved the show immediately. I guess I could mention my favorite episodes (Tabula Rasa and Once More, With Feeling are tied for number one) but even then there are so many awesome episodes and moments, it seems unfair to just mention a few. Still, just off the top of my head (not in any real order, just as I think of them)

1. Willow going crazy, and Xander being the only one who could stop/save her. That whole scene where he has to talk her out of basically destroying the world was great, especially after Tara's (very surprising, to me atleast) death.
    2. The whole last episode was epic, and had great action, dramatic, and sad moments (its a crime that Anya died but Faith, the worst character in either Buffy or Angel, lived)

There was so much more I can't even begin to list. It was an amazing show (as was Angel).

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

The sudden death of Tara :(
    I like Faith :)

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Faith really got on my nerves when she first appeared. She got tolerable later, but I just don't like her. Her whole gimmick "Oh, look, I'm the "dark" slayer, I do all kinds o0f bad things because I'm a bad girl" was stupid from day one. Not that the slayer who died to give faith her powers (whose name I don't remember, she was in, what, two episodes before she was killed? What kind of slayer gets killed by vampire hypnosis? what kind of slayer actually gets affected by some kind of vampire hypnosis?) was that interesting, but atleast she wasn't outright annoying.

Tara's death was a huge shock. I was never a huge fan of the three evil nerd, and I still don't get why one was not only allowed to live, but was allowed to apparently become a watcher, I think, and go be an ass to Angel later (I was hoping Angel would just tear his head off in that episode with the mad slayer) but I think Tara's death was done fairly well. It was a complete shock and seeing Willow go to the dark side was great. It was still a sad moment, and I didn't want her to die, but I think they did it well.

On a side note, talking about all of these deaths, Buffy did death well, in general, but no dramatic death in Buffy beats

Fred's slow death in Angel. That was the saddest thing I've ever seen. That was easily the most effective death in the Buffy/Angel franchise, I don't think a fictional character death has ever made me feel that sad before or since. The fact that it was slow, and she spent her time knowing she was dying just made it hard to watch (in a good way).

To be fair, both shows are awesome, and Buffy's finale was much better (no tie in comics are ever going to make me less annoyed at Angel's cliffhanger ending).

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

A few fave moments:
    Angel turning after he and Buffy did it
    Angel and Faith's fake twosome
    Buffy kissing Angel in gameface on the icerink
    Anytime Giles is Ripper
    Spike not wanting to destory the world because of Man U and dog racing.

There are a load more but it's years since I've seen BTVS - time for a rewatch, I guess! :)

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Really it was one evil alpha nerd and his two cronies who seemed to mostly just be having fun playing at super-villain. Considering how many of them had been unrepentant murderers at some point, holding him to a higher standard when the worst thing he ever did directly was kill his own fellow 'villain' while under the influence of the First is pretty harsh. Besides that, he was so goddamn pathetic. Like, whiny-mopey-rapey-Spike-level pathetic.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Weirdly, I think my most memorable moment is actually in the first episode of Angel: -
    Coming to the whole thing very late (I didn't sit down and watch either series until after they'd both been off the air for some years) I already had a vague impression that Angel wasn't as good. That scene made me feel like it would be just fine. ;)

11. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Buffy: What are you doing out here, Spike? In 5 words or less.

Spike: (counting on his fingers) Out..for..a..walk....bitch!

12. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How is it even possible to choose just one favorite moment? Or one quote? Or one episode? I could be listing them all night long...

(Faith is one of my favorite Buffy/Angel characters, BTW.)

Andrew is a lot more pathetic than whiny-mopey-rapey Spike, and a lot harder to take seriously (which nobody did). I agree with most of the rest, but it's not quite correct to say he was "under the influence of the First" - it sounds like he had no free will, when he really did. He was just weak and easily influenced, especially by Warren, or a Warren look-alike in this case.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too many. Jesus. I need to watch the series again.

It's probably my favorite skiffy series since the original Star Trek. Farscape may be a distant second.