Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All the characters are really spread out this season. This last episode sure had a creepy vibe all over it. More so than usual. I actually found the college kid's storyline the most compelling.
    There is never enough Van Alden. ;)

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Van Alden's life really hasn't changed that much. He just swapped one Enforcer job for another, except now he has a hotter and kinkier wife.

3. ALF

True, but Van Aldens' life is so intense and weird. Nucky's life is pretty boring these days, compared to Van Aldens.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Van Alden's life is likely to get more intense. This is 1924, I believe, O'Banion didn't have the best of years in '24, historically speaking.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling that Van Alden will unwillingly end up working for Capone somehow. In their last confrontation, you could see how uncomfortable he was just being around him. Plus, it would make a rather interesting character arc, going from an agent to actually working for somebody in a business he originally was trying to eradicate. Just that prospect alone probably makes him uncomfortable, and I could see it in their last confrontation.

6. ALF

Most people likely feel uncomfortable around Al. He's a real hothead! I was admiring how excellent the casting was by comparing him to his real life pictures on Wikipedia.

7. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

You know, Jeffrey Wright's character and his overtly fake politeness and pretense has the tendency to annoy the heck out of me. But maybe it's supposed to be this way. I guess Chalky would just love to punch the guy in the face (and so would I :p ).

8. Owain Taggart

Well, obviously :p I meant more in terms of his moral character thrust into a situation of doing illegal business, but of course, doing it with Al will increase it tenfold, I can only imagine.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This show is making me paranoid. As soon as Eddie deviated from what Nucky told him to do I thought there'd be trouble...and there is.

I've taken a real dislike to Dr. Narcisse whom I think is a real hypocritical piece of shit. I really hope Chalky gets a whiff of what's going on and promptly stomps this guy.

Rothstein would have been smarter to have not played poker with Nucky.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I, too, feared for Eddie the moment he deviated from Nucky's instructions. I was worried he would die, but being taken in by Hoover's goons is almost just as bad.

I was quite surprised by Rothstein's behavior in this episode because it was a side of him we haven't seen, but I like the twist of Nucky deciding to dump Rothstein's ass and immediately making a deal with Meyer instead.

I loved the adventures of Van Alden and the Capone Brothers. If they ever want to do a spin-off, this is what they should focus on. Or Richard Takes on the World. Either one. Speaking of which, no Richard this week but I guess he's still on the road.

Also, still no Margaret. Huh.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

What right legally did Hoover's Men have to apprehend Eddie? He didn't do anything illegal.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

None, but that won't stop them from sweating him for information probably to get dirt on Nucky.

13. Owain Taggart

Exactly. It wasn't that he did anything illegal. It's that he had loose lips. Information about Nucky that he was airing out in public which led the men on to him. What isn't clear is if there were any government men where this all happened.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Eddie wasn't set up from the beginning. Eddie might not have met the guy he was really supposed to meet, but rather a plant the FBI substituted.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I get the impression that Hoover's "Bureau of Investigation" (before it received Federal endorsement) thought little of Constitutional "inconveniences" when abducting, beating and interrogating potential suspects and witnesses. The movie "J. Edgar" showed that it was clear that the ends always justified the means and it was every man's job to do whatever was absolutely necessary to bring down a target.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The Bureau had Federal endorsement in 1908.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

When you think of how corrupt law enforcement agencies have been known to be over the years it's not surprising to see them cross the line with bootleggers. Many can often see it as fighting fire with fire---you've got to be just as dirty as the bad guys who don't observe any rules. The cops or the Feds might not use the same tactics with generally law abiding citizens, but with mobsters it can be no holds barred.

It's funny because I've been recently rewatching the original Mission: Impossible where the IMF are essentially doing the kind of things people would frown on in later years: ignoring any and all laws and undermining other governments not favourable to U.S. interests. It's portrayed in the best possible light, but we never see any followup in the consequences of the IMF's actions. We never see the IMF actually kill anyone, but they certainly allow people to be killed as a consequence of their actions.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's kind of easy to root for the good guys doing illegal things when their enemies are mostly all 1-D and utter jackasses you can't wait to see someone take them down.

That's one of the reasons Daenerys Targaryen is seen as a hero in "Game of Thrones", cause all her enemies are 1-D Jackasses all the Empire she fights are so over-the-top evil you can't help but root for her.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm bummed out. I liked Eddie. Makes Hoover look like a real dick.

I knew Capone was a hothead, but was he also a coke head as well? What a schmuck.

Gillian really is on the edge of completely crashing unless her new boyfriend can help her clean up.

20. Owain Taggart

Yeah, poor Eddie :( You could kind of see that it was coming though. This season, he seemed out of sorts, somewhat detatched. But what I did like is that they gave him more to do this season, not just in the background.