Rewatching Blake's 7

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I'm merely going by her 'destruct' line and the fact Orac was seriously knackering the computer systems. Given the theme of Blake playing robin hood, Orac probably picked up on this and tried to destroy the System but leave the three planets intact IE 'free the slaves'.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I always assumed the System was destroyed, and that there were only two DSVs, but I guess it could be open to interpretation

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched Headhunter, weird episode. I'm not remembering a lot of these season 4 episodes, i'm thinking i may have not seen many of them in the past as i had the first 3 seasons.

Avon has not changed his black outfit since Terminal, LOL. I remember in the first 3 seasons they changed there clothes almost every episode, obviously the Liberator having a full wardrobe was a good reason for that. Still, i hope they have good laundry faculties on the Base. lol

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Obviously there wasn't much of a wardrobe on Xenon Base :)

5. Candlelight

And yet Vila changes his outfit in between Terminal and Rescue!

There were two main production blocks, and the outfits betray which block each episode is from.

This image shows the crew (except Avon) in the first production block outfits. This image shows the crew in the second block outfits.

(I plan on trying to rewatch the show again, now that Doctor Who's anniversary year is over, hence the resurrection of this thread :))

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw "Dana" on Death in Paradise last week.

I struggled to see where or if she had aged.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I remember the last time I saw Josette in something she looked very good, but then I don't think she was very old when she did B7 (just checked and she's just 10 years older than me so early fifties).

I wondered what'd happened to this thread :)

Well having met Paul Darrow and Michael Keating at the Brit Sci fi event last year I'm hopefully going again this year and it's an even bigger lineup! Darrow, again, plus Jan Chappell (which means I'll have the autographs of my three favourite characters) Sally Knyvette, plus both Travises! On a non B7 related note also looking forward to seeing Strax and Jenny from Who!

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ God, I would LOVE to meet Paul Darrow. *sigh* What is he up to these days?

9. Guy Gardener

He owns Blake's Seven, or at least "the rights" to Blake's Seven.

He wrote a book called Lucifer set 20 years after the last episode, and he's involved behind the scenes of the Blake's Seven range being made by Big Finish, who have been doing Doctor Who since the end of the last century.

Big Finish just started doing monthly full cast adventures, and they have have had 7 box sets of partial cast, partially narrated stories stories focussing on one or a couple of the cast/characters called the Liberator Chronicles.

http://www.bigfinish.com/hubs/v/blake-s-7

Sadly though, despite being in a more enlightened age today, I don't think that Blake and Avon are going to make out at the climax of some heated adventure and never mention it again.

The first full cast story, Warship, which was movie length, was the story of how they defended the break in the galactic barrier, waiting for the Federation to show up.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Thanks! More stuff to add to my Amazon wishlist.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nah, Big Finish generally sells exclusively, so, you have to buy from Big Finish (Though, it's just as easy as Amazon)

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

heard a couple of the Liberator Chronicle ones and enjoyed them but for one thing. Gareth Thomas's voice has changed a hell of a lot and for me at least it doesn't really work.

13. Guy Gardener

Avon sound's even more menacing, and the show was always about Villa for me anyway, and he's still perfect.

You're right, Gareth sounds like he's hyperventilating.

Seems more like a health issue, than smoking.

You can also get Big Finish products through Previews Magazine which is the order form used globally by comic book shops, you have to ask the monkeys behind the counter to order it for you, and it will probably cost a little more than directly through Big Finish, but this is an alternative if you can't navigate the big finish site internationally or your credit card is being difficult...

14. Candlelight

He also sadly lost his wife after a long illness in 2012 (who of course played the technician Avon shot in the final episode).

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:techman:

16. Candlelight

A10: BREAKDOWN

Nice to see an episode about Gan for a change, even if he spends 80% of it unconcious and 15% attacking the rest. Also nice to see part of the original idea for Zen with a mind of his own, shutting down to protect the ship from his own instructions, even if it endangers the crew. Always good to see Julian Glover in anything too.

17. Candlelight

18. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Even Vila getting in on the action action when he threatens Kane for not starting the surgery on Gan.

As for Cally, well if Gan had strangled her, she'd have no-one to blame but herself. Sure maybe on Auron things were different but Gan isn't an Auronar and she should have left him restrained.

19. Candlelight

A11: BOUNTY

The story is solid for a first season episode. Jenna should've been played more as the traitor rather than oh-so-obvious-she-hasn't-switched-sides ordeal. The episode spends too much time on the surface convincing Sarkoff to take flight, but the story is still interesting.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I really like Bounty. Ok part of it does come down to the wonder that is Tyce, but I like the notion of exiled leaders and the Federation not quite being all powerful, that planets could still break away. Plus it’s nice to see Jenna get the chance to play the hero, even if you never really believe she’s a complete traitor (it might have been more believable if it’d been Avon, let’s be honest!)