PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's not exact, of course, but there is just enough similarity.

2. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Why all the raving about Fassbender ? OK performance - no better, no worse.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I can definitely see the last scene being extraneous but I have to say that I still really loved it. I feel like there would've been a lot of bitching if we didn't see at least some form of a xenomorph and, c'mon, it was one awesome visual.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Thought he was the highlight of the film. If they ever reboot TNG, he'd make an awesome Data. :techman:

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he did his part well enough, but there was nothing about it that blew me away.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Okay, I have to ask. What the fuck was up with the short before the movie? Was that a short film? A trailer for an upcoming movie? A 3D watchers' foreplay? What the hell was it?! I got nothing out of it.

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you mean the scene from Life of Pi? Basically a trailer, yeah, but they did it by showing us an entire scene from the movie.

9. Trekker4747

So if it was a trailer then why wasn't it grouped with the other trailers and, instead, was attached to the movie itself? (In my theater it played after the theater chain's "Feature Presentation" clip.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I didn't see any of this where I saw the film.

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^According to the IMDB page, it's only attached to the 3D prints of Prometheus.

@Trekker: No idea. It was grouped with the trailers when I saw it. It even had a little faux-clapboard title card at the start announcing it was a clip from a longer movie.

12. Trekker4747

Yeah we had that too, but we had the trailers, then the "Feature Presentation" bit, the clapboard title card and then this... whatever that was which lead right into the movie starting/production company title cards. It was odd to say the least.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Between that and certain plot elements it's kinda similar..

14. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Still torn between really good and really bad, although I'm leaning more towards bad now.

15. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Who says he had no interest? It's not like Weyland GAVE him much of a chance to follow up on Shaw's 'caesarian.' David was thawing his boss out during that, and was basically kept at "Dad's" side from that point until his head went flying. (Weyland, then in a big hurry to meet the Engineer, would have considered the squid-baby a "meat by-product.") EXCEPT FOR when Weyland and Vickers had their father/daughter talk - he might have looked in on it then, and wisely decided to keep it locked up. If already full-grown then, it would certainly explain his complimenting Shaw on her courage/survival drive the next time we see him onscreen.

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like Lindelof is getting some twitter love for Prometheus

[​IMG]

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That one guy's childhood is a total slut, though.

18. Triple-F

Triple-F Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't know if this is an appropriate thing to add to this thread, but purely as a FYI type thing, Steve Burg has recently put up some of his early concept work for the movie on his blog.

http://steveburg.blogspot.com/

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It never ceases to amuse me how batshit insane sci-fi nerds can be. I'm impressed by Lindelof's restraint with dealing with them.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I seem to recall a lot of discussion and dissent about Alien when it was released. Yet now it's almost revered as a classic.

I'm glad I didn't read too many spoilers about this film. And I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. I managed to get a near perfect seat. I was blown away with the Prometheus' approach to the planet. That long shot showing the ship as a blip of light streaking across the starfield was simple yet inspiring. I tried to keep my mind open and let the story unfold without too much expectation. I focused on what characters were saying and doing and just followed the narrative. The little bell in my head warning me of inconsistencies or irregularities didn't sound off very often or too loudly.

Maybe I like this partly because it's been so long since we've gotten this kind of film. Moon was interesting, but also small scaled. The last film I recall being anything near like this was Pitch Black.

I want to see this again (and I don't usually see a film in theatre more than once) to pick up things I might have missed first time around.