Why no Jadzia...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by 2 of 10, Aug 27, 2010.

1. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

Was at the bookstore and brought the latest Star Trek magazine. In the entire mag there was no mention or photo
    of one of the most dynamic characters on any Trek series. The host of Curzon and was also surly one of the most on DS-9. She was on for 6 of the 7 seasons, yet for some reason the give more space
    for her replacement. I have nothing against Ezri, however, she was no Jadzia.

I realize that Terry decided (still can't figure out why she
    wanted out) But the way that she has been totally ignored
    really bothers me.

In the last ep "What you leave Behind" when all the crewmembers were being reassigned, it showed them having
    memories, they showed Worf and Ezri serveral times, however, they did not show one scene with Jadzia doing
    anything, and she was married to Worf, not one scene this REALLY ticks me off...so what gives?????

2. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Her leaving the series didn't seem like a very... neat and tidy operation.

It's possible she isn't allowing it, someone said she wanted too much for clips she was in to be aired in the finale etc.

And it's possible she's moved on and keeps Trek stuff to a minimum these days.

3. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Ira Steven Behr said this about Jadiza's absence in What You Leave Behind....

Also add to that the fact that they had used Terry Farrell's image in a previous episode of Season Seven - Penumbra - when Ezri looks at a picture of Jadzia and Worf. I believe they hadn't secured Farrell's permission to do that and that was why she and her manager asked for such a high amount of money for using her clips in What You Leave Behind.

4. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

I was not aware that Trek needed her permission to show what she had already been paid for. I'm sure that she is getting royalities for her pervious work. Could she stop all showing of DS-9 based on the same premis. I have the entire series on DVD, so for me it's not really a big issue I suppose you're right, that showbiz is full of big ego's.

The final ep just did not feel right without even a mention or a quick clip. Terry dissapointed many of her fans by copping an
    attitude that they could not have even show her for just a few seconds. However, for me she is still Jadzia Dax.

I did like Ezri also, I think the best ep that Ezri was in was the one where she had to use the worst aspects of Joran in order to catch the killer on the station, in that ep she rocked...

5. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This sums up my feelings.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Actually, they used Terry's voice without permission and the whole thing went into guild arbitration. As a side effect of that, they couldn't use any of her other material while the dispute was outstanding.

There is probably some truth to what Ira said, too, but he is definitely spinning it to appear that they didn't do anything wrong and Terry was just being a bitch.

7. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Off-topic to the millionth degree, but I've been meaning to post this for a while, Robert Maxwell:

Trent Reznor is my favorite musician. Clearly, you must think somewhat highly of him, given you've decked-out your entire 'appearance' in NIN style...

8. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I don't think she's trying to completely cut all ties with the franchise. After all, she did that convention in England not too long ago. In the interview clips online from that, she was clearly still enthusiastic talking about her time on DS9. She doesn't do nearly as many conventions as her castmates, though, which makes me a sad panda.

9. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

I just remember being pissed Terry Farrell left, because then we got stuck with Ally McTrill - um, I mean, Ezri Dax - one of the most annoying Trek characters ever, IMHO. "Counselor" Ezri made Deanna Troi look competent!

10. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I...think ya got the name mixed up. Deanna just gave dull, predictable platitudes. Ezri actually helped people.

11. Rush Limborg

Yep. It kinda reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. Ezri must widen her gaze....

Her journey took her somewhat further down the rabbit hole than she'd intended--and though she'd dirtied her fluffy white tail...she had emerged...enlightened. :cool:

12. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Sounds about right. I've never understood all the Ezri hate. I didn't feel that way growing up, at least. But then, I was like eleven when the final season started. I'll comment more at a later date...

13. Rush Limborg

^Yeah.

I'd say Ezri's question bears reviewing:

"Are you angry at me for something that I did...or because I'm not Jadzia?"

14. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

To be fair to Nicole, she was thrown into a situation, when she knew that Jadzia was a much revered Trek Icon. Add that to the fact that she knew that she only had one season to "prove" herself. Over the past couple of weeks I have watched season 7, she had both good and bad, terriable and really good ep's. I think she was in a no-win situation. But look on the positive side, she is a Trekker and since Terrry bailed, she picked up the slack, can anyone think of a better actress to have filled Jadzias shoes
    BTW: Does anyone know what Nicole is up to these days...

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ You might look into The Dead Zone if you liked Nicole. Good show IMO, though I lost track of it and need to get those DVDs.

Beyond that, dunno.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Curzon was the host of the Dax symbiont. Not vice versa. ;)

17. Admiral Shran

I think you got some thing mixed up there. After Farrell left we no longer had to deal with a self-obsessed, manipulative, man-bashing drama queen and instead got a character that was flawed, but likeable because she was flawed, and who made Troi look even more ridiculous as a counselor.

18. Rush Limborg

Even in her "terrible" eps...she's still a wonderful, lovable character. Ironically, it's in the much-maligned "Prodigal Daughter" that she has some of her best moments--such as her tear-filled discovery about her brother, and her sad reflections to O'Brien in the end.

Well, her most recent films I can think of...

There's a vampire-rock-band film, Suck, where she has a part as the protagonist's ex. (Thankfully non-vampiric...as far as I know. I haven't seen it.).

There's a distaster movie (NYC: Tornado Terror) where she's the heroine--a climatologist, or related profession. Again, I've yet to see it.

And there's Ties That Bind, a kind of romantic thriller, where she plays the heroine again, about a young married couple who rent part of their new dream home property to a pretty, seductive blonde who is hiding a dark, decietful, sinister side. You can find it on YouTube (Just make sure it's the right one! It stars Brian Krause....).

From what I've seen of it, it's pretty good...great characterization with intense drama, albeit with a rather predictable plot (you kinda gather early on that the blonde's a slimeball). Nicole's tremendous, as always--and at the risk of treading a line of chivalry, I'll say there's a nice "shower/bath-towel" scene....

On TV...she was just recently a special guest star in the premier ep of Haven.

She plays a sweet, lovable girl, tragically manipulated by her fiance`--who, as it turns out, unintentionally influences the weather with her feelings. Whatever you do...don't make her mad.

19. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

You see it your way, I'll see it mine (though I don't understand how Jadzia was any of things you listed). Ezri was an annoying little brat, that's how I saw her.

20. Admiral Shran

^ Well, to each their own. But didn't see Ezri neither as "Ally McTrill" nor annoying.

For Jadzia though here's why I find her all those things....

Self-obsessed = watch Let He Who Is Without Sin...
    Manipulative = watch the scene in Explorers when we first met Leeta.
    Man-bashing = watch any scene where she interacts with a man romantically (she constantly tries to control the relationship with an iron fist), or more particularly watch The Ship.
    Drama Queen = watch You Are Cordially Invited.