Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, Crispin Glover.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Abed wakes up every other morning to discover that in the night "someone" had dressed him up as Han Solo, he's likely to play along, and chase the princess... Of course, it's Shirely who actually did dress up as Princess Leia.

3. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Better yet, Roger Glover

or Marina Sirtis, she could play "Troi" easily

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I for one will definitely miss him on the show.

I thought the cameo was the perfect way of acknowledging him leaving and giving a perfectly fine (and in-character) reason for him not coming back. Ever.

5. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

John Glover, he should be in more things!

I won't really miss Pierce but I really liked his cameo, a nice bookend for the character.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Pierce was very funny in the first season and added a lot to the group dynamic. In the second season, they turned him into a jackass that was at odds with the group, which was still funny, but it hurt the character in the long run. In order to get him back into the group they had to neuter the character, and it wasn't helped by the fact that he was given reduced screentime because Chevy had trouble getting along with the cast and crew. By that point I feel the character was dead wood that only occasionally had funny moments.

If they could have found a way to stop Chevy Chase from being an asshole so that they could reintegrate the character into the group the way he was in the first season, that would be my preferred choice. The reason why the cameo worked so well was that it felt like season 1 Pierce again. But I'm glad he was removed entirely rather than continue with the awkward mess of a character he was in seasons 3 and 4.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As if last week wasn't enough, this week cemented the fact that Community is back! I'm having trouble putting into words just how great this episode was. This was even better than the Law & Order episode a few seasons ago.

8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved the extended Se7en parody. Loved the return of Starburns and Duncan. Loved the return of the "is it creepy or not?" Jeff/Annie dynamic. Loved Dean Pelton trying to get Rhonda to trace the call. Loved Chang and his churro, which was one of the most surreal things I've ever seen. Love the fact that Community has returned to greatness.

I do NOT love the fact that there are only two more episodes featuring Troy.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was the best episode since the 8 bit video game episode. And I love how it turned out to be a big conspiracy to rake in money, and you totally believed the motives of everybody involved. Britta: Buck authority. Shirley: Bring in business for Shirley's sandwiches. Abed: Do a crime TV show. Dean Pelton: Bring attention and money to the school.

You totally expected it to be like the last investigative episode where it turned out to be just one of the side characters.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

This is the first season that I've made Community appointment viewing and I'm glad I did. Even though it might be the last season, better late than never eh?

I think I loved everything about this episode, there was not one moment that fell flat for me, it was hitting on all cylinders the whole time. I did like Annie and Jeff teaming up (I can't remember, but they teamed up on the Law and Order episode too right?) I also liked the announcement of Pierce's death. I can't tell if they're trying to give closure to the character or trying to stick it to Chevy Chase...or it could even be both.

This is definitely a show that I am going to pick up on bluray now, I'm hooked.

11. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely don't think it was a slight to Chase given how it was handled and his inclusion last week.

As far as I'm aware, it's only available on DVD.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Yep, I checked. Amazon does have a page up for the bluray, but it's one of those "wishful thinking" type pages than anything based on actual news.

I suppose I do have one nitpick about tonight's episode: I love the opening theme song and the nature of this episode prohibited it's inclusion. It's not a huge deal mind you, but I did miss hearing the song.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is an interesting take.

I thought the ending meant that any of those characters could be the bandit and we still didn't know who it was

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Well, the person doing the actual banditing I thought was pretty clearly Britta, as when she was writing the story she accidentally wrote her own name before deleting it and writing 'Bandit'.

But the way it showed Abed deleting those detective shows (As if he had watched them for role research) and the way it went out of the way to show Shirley's Sandwiches was making more money because of the scare, and then those knowing looks between the Dean and his secretary, it was pretty clear to me all those people were in on it. The only one I'm not certain of is Abed. But, Shirley was there when Jeff and Annie were chasing the cracker, and the Dean must have lied about the extension to send them into the stable, and he made a secret deal with Star Burns to falsely confess.

15. IndyJones

They normally do a really good job of reinterpreting the main theme in the style of the genre they're emulating. I'm thinking of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, For a Few Paintballs More, Basic Lupine Urology, and Digital Estate Planning.

I didn't save this episode on my Tivo, but I remember liking the theme this week. Does anyone who remembers it better recall if it was the same melody just arranged differently, or was a a completely new tune?

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So I was struggling to remember how many crime movies they were parodying this week, it was mainly Seven but also Zodiac and possibly Summer of Sam?

I never saw Summer of Sam but wasn't it about how the general public went crazy with fear of the killer? And wasn't the ending like Zodiac, where they never catch the killer but suggest some of the people it could be? And the fact that it was constantly raining was from Seven, right?

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Summer of Sam had Lilith from Cheers in her underwear talking about how fantastic she is at sex.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

This film sounds of artistic value to me suddenly... I'll have to see it someday...

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The episode wasn't parodying any specific film, it seemed to be parodying David Fincher's style in general.

20. IndyJones

Or The Killing.

I also caught a bit of Hannibal and The Bridge.