Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Simmons looks pretty good with her hair down....She is Simmons, right?

This was the least engaging of the three episodes for me. It's a fun show, I'll stick with it, but nothing really wow-worthy so far.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They really need to start introducing super-villains ASAP, so this is a step in the right direction. The tag scene should have been more though, like him busting out of prison.

What panty shot? Whose panties? I assume Skye as she jumps into the pool?

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, in the promos as she jumps off the balcony in the commercials her dress flows up giving us a panty shot. In the episode itself the scene cuts before the dress billows up.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Coulson's panties would make all the papers.

Suddenly "crossdresser" becomes more prevalent than LMD or Zombie or ghost or mirror universe doppleganger, and we can just muddle through to season two.

5. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With all the muscle memory talk and then Coulson's "rustiness" it was close to beating you over the head with "You see? He's not the same Coulson because he no longer inhibits the same body for those skills to have been retained."

6. Trekker4747

Does it take that much muscle memory to pull the slide back on a gun to eject a chambered round?

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Getting better. I'm enjoying it, too. :techman:

Still clunky in spots, though. For example, Coulson and Grant getting cornered at the laser grid was about as clichéd as it gets: we hear the guards speaking loudly to each other, so it must be time to hide! Also, obviously oversized compact was obvious.

Still, great fun. I found it adequately intriguing, how Skye exploited her status as a mole to gain Quinn's trust for a time.

And, Skye got to run around in a tight, wet red dress! Yay! :)

8. Trekker4747

It's interest the compact was so oversized. We're talking about an agency -and universe- that has pretty amazing and remarkable things in small packages. Hell the ear-bug thing does some pretty amazing things considering how small it is. But that compact was comically oversized as to be obvious. I guess they got someone other than Stark Industries (making rocket-boots/suits with a near limitless propulsion fuel supply) to make it.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of my favourite lines from Psych.

"No Sean, "Billizanian" is not a real word, and no one except you and Billy Zane ever use it."

Ward is Billizanian.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

*sigh* It was just pure fortunate happenstance that I was able to watch the first two episodes as they aired. From now on, I have to Hulu them the next day.:(

I guess I'll re-watch "0-8-4" to tide me over.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2EhcsBP8o[/yt]

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think the maneuver he tried was a fast dismantling of the gun, i.e. you need to pull back the slide a bit, release the security lever (different depending in the maker of the gun) and then slide the whole thing forward until you have the lower and upper part of the gun in hand effectively neutralizing it as a threat for the time being.

For a simple pull back of the slide you really don't need muscle memory, it's basic gun skills.

As others have already said it was quite generic and i'm beginning to wonder if this is what we can expect in the future.. basic stuff (tech, important people) gets lost/needs to be retrieved and them team goes out to do it while continuing to bond/develop their characters.

I'm reminded a bit of Chuck which had a similar simple structure but somehow it was just more fun to watch even in the early stages and it didn't have this huge expectation to live up to (granted.. it rarely, if ever tried to break out of the mold and become more but it was ok because it was consistently entertaining).

Shield really needs to be better.. the movies set the bar quite high and even if the show doesn't have movie budgets it shouldn't matter if the scripts are solid and engaging which they aren't.
    At times my attention was elsewhere and i did other stuff so i missed some scenes including the reason why the scientist defected which didn't interest me at all and that is a very bad sign for any show.

A bit up a poster said his wife quit the show and i can't fault her.. there is basically nothing to hold anyone onto the show who isn't a comic book fan. Clark Gregg does a fantastic job as Coulson which is about the only thing i am looking forward each show.

The need to up the stakes fast and show us some meat other than a team of highly trained and talented people do weird missions because that's been done in many other shows.. slapping on the Marvel/Shield logo is not enough to get 7 seasons out of that premise.

13. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Oh boy. If Fury was angry with a hole in the plane, he'd be furious to find Coulson's created a supervillain. lol

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Okay, I loved the rotating room gags.
    And Skye wet.

I'll give it a few more weeks.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I realized what was missing in this episode for me...May in action. At least they set up her going back to combat duty...didn't think they'd do that so soon.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I got to say episode 3 was the best in the season.

17. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I've enjoyed episodes 2 and 3 a whole lot more than the pilot, which was a little too quippy for my taste. I imagine I'll see it through to the end of the season.

18. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I have been enjoying it. It has not blown me out of the water. Of the two new shows I have picked up this year, I am enjoying Sleepy Hollow more.

Coulson really sells it. I do not think I would keep watching if I did not find the actor so engaging.

I also really like May.

The other characters are okay. Although I quite often have trouble hearing what Fitz/Simmons are saying to each other.

19. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that, plus May's muttered "you died" comment.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Nice twist would be that May, the famous "Cavalry", would have been the one delivering Coulson to "Tahiti" (which is no doubt the code word for this installation, similar to Slingshot for their orbital launch site).

One thing i noticed though was the quick camera short of May rubbing her jaw when they talked about the laser security of that place.. might not have been anything but could be important in the long run.

Might also be my overactive imagination to see clues everywhere :lol: