Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

While I don't think they should have locked both DLC missions out entierly until after the endgame, I do agree that forcing you to take Hackett's transmission right after Horizon was very jarring. A better option would have been a simple email from him asking Shepard to get in contact ASAP. Then when you go to your quarters there'd be a prompt on your desk that you can activate to initiate the call. That way you could have chosen to talk to him right away, or put it off till last.

Actually, one of the things I kind of want included in ME3 is the ability to choose to call someone and have a conversation from the comm room. I mean, in ME2 wouldn't it have been nice to have been able to just walk into a room and speak to say, Anderson, Liara or Wrex without having to fly the damn ship halfway across the galaxy?

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Arrival, certainly. Lair, from dev comments at the time, actually has dialogue so it'll work both places (though the "intended" place is post-SM).

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It does have dialogue that works either way, but I think it works better post-SM. And in Arrival, if you play it pre-SM, I believe the Collector General appears in holographic form rather than Harbinger.

4. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Is it true there's no ME1 available for the PS3? That's a shame. I just finished my first run through of the ME2 and quite enjoyed it. (I'm aware the most recent edition of ME2 for the PS3 has an "interactive backstory" included, but for some reason it doesn't work on the copy I have. I'm told it's supposed to kick in at the very start of the game, but nada).

I am however a bit torn regarding whether I should buy ME3 when it comes out in a few weeks or if I should wait. Presumably they're going to do that whole DLC thing again. And yeah I could download them and pay the fee, only my PS3 isn't hooked up to the internet and given certain security issues in the past I'm hesitant to change this anytime soon. So maybe I should wait until another "expanded edition" comes out for the PS3 with the DLC material included?

True, the PS3 edition didn't have all the DLC material - I just learned of the existence of the so-called "war veteran" extra character. But it had Kasumi (who I found when teamed with Miranda made for an unbeatable group in all but a handful of non-loyalty missions, including the final battle) and introduced FemShep's LBD as well as the way-cool Shadow Broker Easter eggs. I agree it does feel like Shadow Broker was meant to be post-suicide mission, but we're so conditioned into thinking that the game ends when the credits roll I bet most people just finish the mission as early as possible. Which is good anyway because of the bonus upgrades and resources you get, though it does spoil Legion in advance. I'm replaying ME2 and intend to do Shadow Broker the moment it's offered so I can access the goodies.

So there might be rewards for waiting.

Like most things I'll probably make the decision when I'm standing in Game Spot or Best Buy with a copy of it in my hands...

Alex

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's correct. ME1 was originally published by Microsoft Game Studios (for Xbox 360, but the Windows PC version by EA), but subsequent BioWare titles have been published by Electronic Arts because the studio was purchased by EA in 2007.

6. ATimson

My understanding is that the comic is free on PS3, but you still have to download it from the Playstation Store.

They never did that for ME2, and the one for ME1 on 360 only had one of the two DLC.

In short: I wouldn't count on such an edition.

Everything that I've read has said that Zaeed is in the PS3 version too. And he's pretty hard to miss. I don't know why you didn't find him, unless he's bugged without a patch you don't have.

[EDIT: I did some research, and it looks like Zaeed (and the other Cerberus Network content) requires a download on PS3 as well, and weren't actually included on-disc.]

But it is missing Arrival, which released after the PS3 version.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  7. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

In short, you need an internet connected console or PC to fully enjoy Mass Effect 2. And really, you need a good PC or a 360 to get the full experience of Mass Effect. Without playing the 1st, ME2 feels sort of.........pointless. It's like starting to watch a really good movie but missing the first act. Sure you can maybe figure out what is going on, but you really never fully grasp the plot. I can't imagine enjoying Mass Effect near as much as I do if I had not played the 1st. And the digital comic does not do it justice. It skipped entire plot lines!

8. ATimson

On the bright side, you won't get pissed off when Shepherd is acting out of character throughout the entire sequel and you can't fix it. :borg:

9. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I apparently have never even SEEN this strange version of ME2 you seem to have played.

10. Skywalker

11. ATimson

Pretty much what Skywalker posted. :) Or even not as a sole survivor, simply for what they did to Admiral Kohoku during ME1. My Shep would have shot Miranda & Jacob on the station at the start & stolen the shuttle, had she been given the option.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the way they danced around that issue in ME2 either, but it's just a minor quibble IMO.

In other news, Casey Hudson has officially announced that ME3 has just gone gold (so anything that's still broken will have to wait for the 1.01 patch ;) ) We're also apparantly in store for another salvo from EA and/or Bioware's marketing department.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Where as mine is lets find out why they brought someone back from the dead who blew up some of their bases back from the dead as it might be important, epecially since there are later oportunities to blow up Cerberus bases.

After that it was either work with them or deal with the Council who want to stick their heads in the sand while the Reapers kill everyone, while everybody else seems to forget THEIR STILL COMING.

Besides My Shep probably crippled their organization by walking away with most of their non-racists nutcase members which is possibly most of their members period according to EDI, and I got a new ship out of it.

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to give the demo a try. (The PC one seems to be downloading from Origin at the moment)

15. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

^ Please let us know if it is spoilercity. I'm pretty sure i won't play the demo, but if it's not full of spoilers i'll hang in there for 3 more weeks.

16. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

The first part of the demo is literally the opening of the game, so I wouldn't really consider that spoilery. The second part, however, is a section from later on so if you're dead set against spoilers you should probably stay away.

The multiplayer portion of the demo, while limited, is pretty fun.

17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will do but it'll probably be tomorrow or thursday. I'll probably only be playing the first level and messing with the character creation bit though. As Arrqh mentions, that shouldn't be too spoilery.

(I too am trying to avoid too many spoilers, but I also want a quick go to see how the various changes affect the game play)

Edit to add:-
    Well, I gave it a quick blast and I'll probably be missing from the forum come early march. I'm going to be hooked again, but that wasn't a surprise for this series when it comes to me.

Non spoilery thoughts:-
    It's faster paced (which led to me accidentally vaulting a wall when I meant to take cover behind it)
    Character creation has been edited slightly but my imported Femshep looked ok. (Used the code to import as the demo doesn't import your saved game but that was expected. There is one quick question to answer for some background history though).

Origin didn't seem to screw things up for me

There aren't too many spoilers in the first level, but it goes straight onto the second mission of the demo without a pause and there are spoilers in the cut scene before that level starts.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  18. Skywalker

Downloading the demo right now! :D

19. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Demo was quite good. It contained a decent amount of story and action. Yes it's very much spoilery but if anyone has been watching the trailers and previews etc. then you should know what to expect.

Starts of on Earth, Reapers are attacking. Shep and Anderson fight their way to the Normandy. Ash is onboard but Anderson decides to remain on earth to help in the battle.

The demo then skips forward to a mission where a important female Krogan needs rescuing from Cerberus. Wrex is involved but doesn't join the party, the squad instead consists of Shep, Liara and Garrus. Mordin also makes an appearance. Female Krogan gets rescued, not before a fight with a massive mech.

20. Skywalker

Dear BioWare,

[​IMG]