Marines and Combat Personel?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by SarYehudah, Jun 23, 2013.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then how come Starfleet troops are the principal ground soldiers in DS9's battle with the Dominion? And also the same troops that secure Earth in "Paradise Lost"?

It would also depend on the time period and the nation states involved as well. A blanket statement is overly broad.

In Kirk's time there were occasions that blowing up a star ship could either start or prevent a war.

Why not? Lose the defending space fleet and your planets are open to attack. The Dominion could easily wipe out a few planets to make an example to the rest of the subjugated worlds to not make any trouble.

"On August 18, 1838, six United States Navy ships left Norfolk, Virginia on an expedition to the South Pacific.
    Being a peaceful expedition of discovery, the ships were stripped of heavy armament and its space was given over to scientific exploration. "

http://www.history.navy.mil/ac/exploration/wilkes/wilkes1.html

And I accept Picard's comment as it was applicable to his time (TNG) in that particular version of Starfleet.

Just like I accept the evidence that TOS/TOS Movie Starfleet was a military at that time in the past.

However, that's not how Starfleet is described in TOS and TOS Movies. We do have people like Carol and David Marcus calling Starfleet, "the military" and the Organians marking them as Military Forces.

I think that's an interesting shift - to bring in their "legal status". I'd suggest then that legally Starfleet in TOS up till "The Undiscovered Country" was their formal military that happens to have exploration and science programs. At the conclusion of the new treaty, the "mothballed Starfleet" would have been the military aspect and the remaining programs became the Starfleet as seen in TNG.

They were at war for 20 years in "Yesterday's Enterprise". In "The Undiscovered Country", Starfleet was protecting the Federation against "almost 70 years of unremitting hostility" from the Klingons. There's plenty of room for the TOS Starfleet to be the military waiting for a war with the Klingons.

Not really. JJ Abrams universe is not the same as TOS or the TOS Movies. One Starfleet went military and other didn't (and that works fine in-universe as the simplest explanation.)

2. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

They're not. They just get saddled with that duty at AR-558 because literally nobody else in the universe could be spared for that mission.

That still wouldn't add up to 900 billion casualties unless the Federation has a population in the tens of trillions. This suggests the majority population of the Federation is under threat, and that seems incredibly unlikely.

Besides, this is the Jem'hadar we're talking about. They will take ANY excuse to slaughter their enemies face-to-face. They don't need to actually defeat your defenses to beam down to your planet and start causing trouble, and they don't always bother to try.

That would be inconsistent with the overall design of the Galaxy and Ambassador class starships which are considerably better armed than their smaller predecessors.

On the contrary, I think that Federation law doesn't actually establish a formal military organization and instead includes provisions to commandeer or conscript any agency, organization or individual within the Federation who has the equipment and capabilities they need.

It also needs to be remembered that the Dominion War is hardly typical of an armed conflict in terms of galactic affairs; after all, prior to DS9 the Battle of Wolf 359 seemed like a really huge deal to everyone and the Cardassian Border Wars were a fairly hot topic. Starfleet IS a military organization in the Yesterday's Enterprise alternate timeline, however -- this after more than 20 years of war with the Klingons -- and had the Dominion War dragged on another five or ten years the same probably would have happened in that case too. In both cases, it's mainly because the Federation never needed to formalize that status before; they had never been in a situation where they actually needed to fight a large multi-front war against a massive and powerful adversary.

Theoretically that would also be the case in "Into Darkness" and Admiral Marcus is the kind of person who would have driven the military conversion had it been necessary.

But it WASN'T necessary. The Klingons and the Federation were in open warfare less than two days before the Organians cried foul and evidently never came to blows again before Praxis exploded. Obviously an undeclared cold war had been going on in the mean time, but that would still leave Starfleet in the position of an undeclared quasi-military who spends more time sneaking around monitoring them than actually shooting at them.

I'm not so sure, actually. Starfleet's depiction in both movies is at least as militaristic as it is in TOS -- more so, IMO, for a number of reasons -- but is still DESCRIBED as being non-military by two different characters in STID.

It's not actually that hard to reconcile since Starfleet's non-military mission is sufficiently emphasized that they can get away with avoiding that classification. Actually, the only reason to assume it MUST be a military organization is the desire to cast the best possible light on the nature of military organizations, and that's just not something that would jibe very well with the fictional history of United Earth.

3. blssdwlf

Oh they very much are Starfleet.

VARGAS: According to Starfleet regulations we're suppose to be rotated off the front lines after ninety days.

Looking at the episode again, the 900 billion casualties was from a prolonged war. 90 planets at 10 billion deaths (or some combination) seem reasonable as war can cause direct death or death through infrastructure collapse like starvation and disease. So, it's likely.

No, it's the Dominion which is directed by the Founders. The Jem'hedar aren't always going to be directed into ground combat.

How are these ships better armed than their smaller predecessors during TNG? In the DS9 battles they do no additional damage than the other small ships. They might last longer due their size and bulk but there is no indication they were better armed.

Or Starfleet's military,science and exploration programs changed in priority as the need arises over the 100+ years of it's existence.

Well, it seemed pretty typical when you compare it to the brief Klingon-Cardassian War or possibly even the further back Federation-Klingon War in "Errand of Mercy". Fleets of ships deciding the fate of the warring nations.

Wouldn't it be a huge deal to the TNG Starfleet which at that time was squarely NOT a military? Wolf 359 and the Cardassian conflict would've been a strain on a service that was not geared for combat.

They were in that situation in TOS when they started to fight the Klingons.

Well we do know that the two universes aren't alike. How the JJVerse Starfleet progresses doesn't bear on the TOS universe.

Even in cold wars you'd get a pretty good military build up. There wasn't any indication that either side reduced their wartime forces after the Organian treaty. The only time we hear of the Starfleet military standing down is in the events of "The Undiscovered Country".

I think when you pointed out that JJVerse Scotty said it wasn't a military that pretty much cemented a *different* path that was taken. TOS Scotty had no problems dropping a few photon torpedoes in the name of diplomacy or General 24'ing a planet in "A Taste of Armageddon" and he had no qualms in facing down Klingons in person or in space combat. JJVerse Scotty doesn't appear to have that same attitude.

Actually the only reason to believe Starfleet was a military in TOS/TOS Movies was because the characters said so and behaved as such. Seems simple enough :)

4. Crazy Eddie

Of course they are. They're just not the principle land army of the Federation.

Not every or even most Jem'hadar ships have founders on board (it's not even clear they all have a Vorta). Even with that, the Jem'hadar are good at coming up with excuses for a land action even when orbital bombardment might well be feasible (it is, after all, why they are designed the way they are).

The phaser arrays on the Galaxy class are far more advanced and supposedly more powerful than anything the fleet has ever used before. Moreover, the torpedo launcher on the galaxy class has a (seldom used) capacity to launch large volleys of torpedoes simultaneously -- up to six in a single shot -- while older/smaller designs have to make due with spreads of two to four at most. The Galaxy and Nebula classes also have much heavier shielding and far more raw power available than the Excelsiors or Mirandas could feasibly generate.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that all of those older designs are as obsolescent as the Stargazer seemed to be, but I also don't think they're that much better off.

Both are possible, but it doesn't seem to me that Starfleet has EVER placed that high a priority on military readiness. Of particular interest is the testing of the M5 unit for compatibility with Starfleet systems; not just the battle drills were evaluated, but also the M5's capacity to conduct an exploration survey and manage/coordinate an away team.

This interests me because that doesn't seem to be the kind of test you would need to assign to a computer. M5 could be used to run unmanned combat vessels fairly easily, it wouldn't actually need to be in command of a ship with a scientific crew in the first place. A military-minded Starfleet would have deployed M5 (or a few of its predecessors) in the combat role first, and then asked Daystrom if he could adapt the M5 unit to the exploration program once its operational record had been established.

Testing M5 in both aspects at the same time suggests they wanted a computer intelligence that could perform starfleet's primary exploratory role without exposing the crew to risk from unexpected hostile attack, which is to say the intent was ALWAYS to have M5 coordinating with a (obviously much smaller than normal) science team. Even more interesting is the fact that combat is the only thing M5 can do entirely without any human input at all; had the experiment worked, Starfleet officers would never need to know anything about combat again, they could just strap themselves into a disaster shelter and wait for the computer to pwn their enemies.

As I said, it could go either way, but I just don't see Starfleet ever explicitly prioritizing combat readiness over science. Although partly this is because there's very rarely been a conflict between the two, the biggest issue is that Starfleet spends a lot more time and money on exploration than it does on combat operations and military maneuvers.

Actually, they seemed to be deciding the fates of the contested colonies/worlds, but little else.

OTOH, the Klingon-Cardassian war is an unprecedented event in Cardassian history as well and represents an enormous bit of "Oh shit, the Klingons are expanding again!" badness for the entire universe. Compare it to the brief Klingon-Federation skirmish over Arkanis a few months later, or to the battles of Wolf 359 or the massacre at the Omarian Nebula. It seems to me that prior to the Dominion War a typical military conflict would involve at most 30 to 50 starships centered around a fairly limited local objective (a contested solar system or a particular planet in said system).

Evidently, it WAS.

wlf, I'm starting to think that the only real difference between you and me is that you believe Starfleet geared up for combat prior to the Dominion War and BECAME a military organization while I believe that Starfleet did not formally BECOME a military organization and was therefore (still) woefully unprepared for the Domion when fighting finally broke out. Given another few years they probably would have hit the point of no return and restructured dramatically, but we didn't really see that happen in DS9; it would have been a pretty big deal, and not something that would have gone on in the background without a mention.

Although, I would concede one point: the uniform change just before the outbreak of war could be interpreted as an outward sign of an otherwise invisible restructuring, say, the issuing of a general order commanding all Starfleet personnel to mobilize all assets to "Indefinite Defensive Condition" or some similar concept that would, in essence, conscript the entire fleet en masse. I don't know that the new uniforms or any other changes were ever referenced in dialog, though, so it's tough to say if this was ever the case.

You mention that alot, but Scotty never actually did it and it's far from certain that he really would have if it came to it. For all we know, General Order 24 is an inside joke (like "Kobyashi Maru") which roughly means "Bluff your ass off because the enemy doesn't know us that well."

5. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

Personally, I believe Starfleet IS and ALWAYS HAS BEEN a military, albeit one that in the 24th century has lost a lot of it's resolve AS a military, due to political correctness in-universe and (especially) meta-universe.

6. blssdwlf

So what does this land army look like? The only one we've seen in the various land battles are Starfleet guys.

If the Vorta or Founders ordered Jem'hedar ships to bombard and destroy their targets they will do so.

If it came down to firing more simultaneous torpedoes giving the firing ship an advantage you'd think the E-E would have that same capability. The phasers on Galaxy-class ships didn't appear to be any more effective against same type targets when you compare them to the smaller/older designs as seen in the DS9 battles.

I don't think they have heavier shielding (see Battle of Chintoka) or raw power (which would give them a phaser output advantage) as DS9 battles don't appear to give them an edge.

Now they do have more bulk to be destroyed though :)

The live exercises involved a surprise attack and a fleet action in addition to the exploration and navigation. If military readiness wasn't a high priority I doubt they'd draw off *five* starships into a wargame.

I'd argue that the M5 unit wasn't going for just use in wartime but also in peacetime as well. Otherwise, M5 and all the ships that it commanded would be mothballed during peacetime. (And that would seem to be a waste of resources.)

If the Klingons caught what was left of the Cardassian government in that space battle it would've been a different fate for their short war.

The Klingons were going after the Cardassians because they believed the Founders had infiltrated their government. They were going to use that as an excuse to take their territory and eliminate the Dominion influence all in one war.

Considering that Starfleet (and probably the Klingons) mothballed their military after "The Undiscovered Country" it would mean any military conflicts all the way to TNG would not be an all-out war and just limited-force engagements.

Which is why I agree that to the non-Military Starfleet during TNG would've been a big deal. But that would not be the case in TOS Starfleet which was mobilized for war as a military.

I don't have exactly the same view, but I do believe that Starfleet went full military during the Dominion War. Sisko and Nog both spoke of themselves as soldiers and troops. What they did do was prevent the Military (Starfleet) from usurping power over the civilian Federation government.

"A Taste of Armageddon" didn't give any indication that a bluff was being used at all. This is unlike any of the other episodes where we are told or can tell that it is a bluff like "Corbomite".

7. Crazy Eddie

Realistically -- as in, consistent with what Star Trek has shown us in the past -- most likely a combination of the MACOs and the Andorian Royal Guard updated with 24th century technology. The absence of the Andorians in significant numbers in the Dominion War is otherwise too suspicious to be explained away by the writers simply forgetting they exist; in TOS they were described as a "warrior race" whose volatile natures are only barely checked by enlightened self interest. In the same way that Starfleet seems to be dominated by humans (having a cultural affinity for peaceful exploration and bridge-building anyway), the Federation's ground forces are almost certainly dominated by Andorians, whom we later discover are notoriously militaristic and even have ritualistic hand-to-hand combat rites to settle certain disputes.

IOW: we never saw the Federation's principle land army in the same way (and probably for the same reason) that we never saw a SINGLE Andorian in all of TNG or DS9.

That's not to say that's the way things SHOULD have gone done. Ideally -- as in, consistent with what Star Trek could/should have shown us based on the 24th century's level of technology -- a Federation ground army would probably look a lot like these guys.

I doubt that they'd bother ordering it. The Jem'hadar are both completely disposable and EXTREMELY effective in ground combat. Forcing the Federation to commit resources to a land action would be advantageous from a morale, strategic and political standpoint, and also would be a lot more fun for the Jem'hadar.

Theoretically, it DID. Enterprise-E originally had five torpedo launchers to the E-D's three, and backstage sources claimed each of those launchers could fire a volley of six torpedoes on their own. The Nemesis retrofit added four additional torpedo tubes to the ship which probably can only fire individually but at least one is seen firing clusters of three at the Scimitar.

DS9 battles don't appear to give them any SHIELDING either. YMMV. :shrug:

If military readiness was a high priority, they wouldn't have drawn ANY. They would have tested M5 on an unmanned platform first and evaluated its performance in conjunction with normal starship operations so as not to divert fleet resources away from their regular patrol duties (basically, how the Navy's been testing the QF-47 prototypes).

That's kind of my overall point about Starfleet, though. The reason they don't classify it as a military organization is because military organizations are hard to justify -- politically and monetarily -- in peace time. An exploration fleet is probably easier, especially in a culture where aggressive space exploration is a lot more popular politically than aggressive militarism. The defense establishment of the Federation would simply see this as a relationship of convenience: they'll never convince anyone to fund the kind of military the Federation needs, but they CAN convince Starfleet to make itself prepared to step into that role if and when it becomes necessary to do so.

That leaves open for debate to what extent that role is necessary and how important it really is to Starfleet in the first place. You'd have a wide range of opinions among various officers and commands, depending on what's going on in the world and their own point of view. But that range of opinions can only exist where Starfleet's official status is TECHNICALLY not a military one.

IOW, the debate we're having right now probably mirrors the debate with Starfleet's own command structure. Different sides probably have more influence year after year, depending on current events, but there's never a solid consensus one way or the other.

Actually, they were using that as an excuse to re-embrace the kind of imperialistic militarism that originally made them enemies of the Federation a hundred years earlier. That was the whole issue with Gowron trying to take the Klingons back to "the old ways."

I'm sure the TOS fleet mobilized for a limited war over the Arkanis sector (as the TNG fleet did just prior to the Dominion War) but for reasons outlined above I am less sure that this makes them a military organization. More militaristic, sure, but that's a different issue altogether.

The only reason we know Corbomite was a bluff is because they were all laughing their asses off that it ended up working (because Kirk had literally made it up right that minute). Kirk used the same bluff against the Romulans in "The Deadly Years" where it was slightly less obvious that he was yanking their collective chains.

General Order 24 as a "insider's reference" would be a lot more consistent with what we know about Kirk (and actually, Starfleet) than it would with their willingness to glass entire planets just because they don't get their way. It would, for example, mirror Spock's "in plain sight" coding of their communications in TWOK: "If we went by the book -- like Lieutenant Saavik -- hours would seem like days."

Kirk calling Scotty about General Order 24 would probably reflect some specific scenario in the academy simulators; say, a way to resolve hostage situations by convincing the hostage takers that your orbiting ship is about five minutes away from glassing the whole planet because the hostage takers don't know enough about Starfleet to chance this being a ruse. It would work ESPECIALLY well on the Eminians, who have apparently concocted this entire computer-controlled war system purely to avoid damaging their cities and cultural heritage; the threat of a starship raining uncontrolled destruction on them would have been terrifying on multiple levels.

8. Darkwing

:confused: I've rarely seen any politician who needed to be convinced that we need a military, even in peacetime. The confusion only seems to come from idiots thinking that winning a war means we should drastically cut (always too much) the military to create a "peace dividend" that always comes back to haunt us. And we've never seen Starfleet do anything non-military.

Now that is not only untrue, but makes no sense, either. We have a wide range of opinion now, and all that being in the military means is that we must be cautious in how we express it in order to avoid the appearance of military endorsement of any particular viewpoint.

More likely, the pacifist bloc of the council, the hawks, and the politicians and talking heads associated with both sides. And those officers foolish enough to buy the rhetoric.

9. blssdwlf

The MACOs and Andorians on Enterprise were part of an early Starfleet that went through many changes. It didn't look or act like TOS Starfleet just like TOS Starfleet doesn't look or act like TNG Starfleet.

If there were separate DS9 Starfleet Military guys you would think we would've seen them in the ground combat scenarios?

And if we're going on the military ranks of the MACOs which consisted of ground forces-type ranks then Colonel West of Starfleet would equate to the Military. This would indicate by TOS the Military was integrated into and synonymous with Starfleet. (And that tallies nicely with Carol and David Marcus calling Starfleet the Military.)

It might be more beneficial to your argument if you addressed the absence of MACOs before the Andorians.

Perhaps. Although 24th century tech might be more compact and involving portable shields and combat drones.

Well in "What You Leave Behind" in short order the Dominion caused 800 million casualties. It would appear regardless on how they do it they can be ordered to wipe out whole planets. Billions would not be an issue.

A single volley of 3 still is a step back from the 6 at a time that the E-D could manage.

Or they could be running conformal shields ;)

Since they were doing live wargames it would make sense that they used actual ships rather than drones. Firing low-power phasers for the wargame makes sense as it has the exact same performance and need not be simulated. It makes sense that a military wargame would want to be as realistic as possible and this would indicate the testing was beyond using unmanned drones and such.

If your point was more specific to periods of peace time then I wouldn't be debating you :) However since you lump the entirety of Starfleet's existence into a non-military organization then that's where you took it too broadly.

TOS and TOS Movies point to a Starfleet as The Military. TNG and ENT does not. DS9 they went military during the war. AbramsTrek stayed non-Military.

Its not a range of opinions but statements at different points in time. TOS/TOS Movies had dialogue calling Starfleet, "The Military". TNG had dialogue calling Starfleet a non-military. That indicates Starfleet's organization and role changes back and forth over time.

When Starfleet in "Wrath of Khan" is referred to as "The Military" it leaves little room to argue that they are not the military in TOS. This is the same as Picard's "Starfleet is not a military" statement in TNG.

The dialogue and scene in "The Corbomite Maneuver" spelled out that it was a bluff. The use of Corbomite in "The Deadly Years" was a nice bit of continuity and used as a bluff with supporting dialogue.

And Spock and Saavik discuss their deception so we know that it was code. This does not occur in "A Taste of Armageddon".

Unlike the other bluffs and tricks that Kirk did in other episodes this had no indication that it was one at any time. Even when Kirk and Spock had secured the room Kirk's order to Scotty was to follow through with it if something should happen.

10. Crazy Eddie

No.

Because since all of the main characters are Starfleet, the only time we ever see ground combat is when Starfleet is sent to do it. Which is, apparently, an INCREDIBLY rare occurrence.

But I could ask the same question: If the Andorians are still members of the Federation, you would think we would've seen them... EVER?

Like I said, the two absences are probably related.

That or Colonel West is the MACO liaison to Starfleet. It would explain why he is one of exactly two Starfleet officers we have ever seen to ever be referred to by that rank (the other being Kira Nerys, who served on DS9 in a similar capacity between Starfleet and the Bajoran Military).

I'm not sure the two are unrelated. Starfleet, after all, is dominated by humans; it's likely, based on what we know of the Federation, that MACO is dominated by Andorians.

That's kinda what I meant.

But it doesn't appear they actually tested it with drones at all, in fact by all accounts this was the first time M5 had ever been used in the field.

My basic point is that a military organization wouldn't take five of its ships away from their patrol duties for an experiment like this unless all five of those ships were also testing some vital new system and/or training their crews in some specific scenario, as the Navy does with the Top Gun school and the Air Force does with Red Flag. It's almost unheard of, in those cases, for an entire squadron to be pulled off of active duty JUST to run mock engagements against a UAV or to test a new weapon system.

IOW, military readiness precludes that level of advanced field testing; M5 would have had his first trials in a Starfleet proving ground, probably retrofitted to a training vessel or a smaller starship that was not scheduled for deployment in the immediate future. The "wargames" would have occurred later, with a fully-tested and fully-operational M5 unit that had already demonstrated basic operational capacity in the proving ground, in which case it wouldn't be a test of the M5 so much as a genuine war game to see how the M5 would perform under more realistic wartime conditions.

I doubt it even makes a difference. You, like many people, assume that ONLY a military organization could participate in combat or a full-scale (declared or otherwise) war, and that Starfleet would not have participated unless the declaration of its new status had been made.

This assumption has no factual support, though, and is already contradicted by real-world historical precedent as well as the in-universe precedent established by Earth Starfleet a century earlier. Starfleet need not be codified as a military organization to act in that role, especially if such precedent already exists in interstellar law (which it obviously does, given that many races -- the Vulcans, for example -- do not overtly differentiate between their armed and unarmed services).

Basically, organizations do not casually "go military" and then just as casually cease to be the military just because of politics at the time. Starfleet swings back and forth between being more or less militaristic, to be sure, but "the military" is a legal as well as political definition and is not an institutional label that can be assigned temporarily or conveniently.

It's a bit like "the police." The neighborhood watch is NOT a police force despite the fact that they often work with the police to help solve crimes and keep neighborhoods safe. In the event of a riot, the neighborhood watch may go out in force to protect their neighborhoods and help police officers keep track of what's going on, and the police may even deputize the neighborhood watch en masse to help stem the violence. But even deputized, the neighborhood watch never BECOMES a police force; before, during and after the riots they have no legal standing as peace officers, despite their temporary operational mandate to assist in the enforcement of the law.

What I meant by "becoming military" would be a fundamental shift in Starfleet's basic priorities by a legislative act of the Federation council, granting Starfleet a wider range of defense responsibilities and privileges, not least of which is the capacity to directly protect military secrets. This is a capacity that Starfleet does not actually have, as we learn in "The Drumhead", and can be inferred from from TOS through DS9 that the concept of "classified technology" isn't one Starfleet actually maintains beyond a very strong and logical preference NOT to let enemy governments access their technology. Moreover, the militarization of Starfleet wouldn't just change their legal powers and authorities, it would have to establish a new set of regulations and directives that would amend Starfleet's charter and altering its mission statement to:
    "To maintain, train and equip combat-ready Starfleet forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of space."

It would, in other words, be the redefinition under Federation law of what Starfleet actually is. They would cease to be an exploration agency; they would never be an exploration agency again. They might still do some exploring, they might still conduct scientific research, but that would no longer be their PURPOSE or their priority or even their way of doing business.

And referred to incorrectly by an impulsive brat with daddy issues. We've been over this before.

11. Crazy Eddie

I'll leave it with this: in Yesterday's Enterprise, is Tasha Yar still alive and Deanna Troi not present. Did you never wonder exactly why that was?

It's because Armus killed her.
    More broadly, it's because in the prime universe Riker tells Armus "We believe that all intelligent life has a right to exist," which Armus -- being the sociopath that he is -- immediately latches onto as a sign of weakness. In the alternate timeline, Starfleet does not hold to this belief; they'd deal with Armus along very different terms, and Armus would really have only one way to get under their skin: torture Deanna to death, spit out her mutilated corpse, and then laugh and taunt them when they find out their phasers don't hurt him. That change in ethos isn't just a minor detail like a uniform change or a willingness to pull a weapon. The basic assumptions behind all of their decision-making would be different, their basic priorities would be different, even things so small as the default setting on a security officer's hand phaser (is it stun or kill?).

I think you are fundamentally underestimating the basic implications of a militarized Starfleet when you assume that a simple mission change is all it would take. It would become an ENTIRELY different type of organization with entirely different procedures and practices. Those types of changes do not happen casually, nor are they easy to undo when the fighting's over; indeed, this is an issue that Trek itself actually touched upon in "The Hunted." It's easy to transform a peaceful man into a soldier, but it's not nearly as easy to turn a soldier into a peaceful man.

I'm not going to belabor the point any more because I honestly don't think you're capable of discussing the subject honestly. I think you're disagreeing just to be disagreeable -- again -- and I don't feel like going through this with you a second time.

12. Darkwing

Yes, our window into the Trek-verse is much smaller than most folks realize. This is why we don't see the army, marines, or ground combat much. And the writers simply failed to use Andorians lately.

Unfounded speculation. Colonel West can be argued to have an honorary title, based on wearing admiral's rank. More likely, based on his name, he was supposed to be a marine, but the costumers messed up.

Except that you're expecting the writer to know that.

I doubt it even makes a difference. You, like many people, assume that ONLY a military organization could participate in combat or a full-scale (declared or otherwise) war, and that Starfleet would not have participated unless the declaration of its new status had been made.
    This assumption has no factual support, though, and is already contradicted by real-world historical precedent as well as the in-universe precedent established by Earth Starfleet a century earlier. Starfleet need not be codified as a military organization to act in that role, especially if such precedent already exists in interstellar law (which it obviously does, given that many races -- the Vulcans, for example -- do not overtly differentiate between their armed and unarmed services).
    Basically, organizations do not casually "go military" and then just as casually cease to be the military just because of politics at the time. Starfleet swings back and forth between being more or less militaristic, to be sure, but "the military" is a legal as well as political definition and is not an institutional label that can be assigned temporarily or conveniently.[/quote] Yeah, when NASA and NOAA are the lead elements in our next war, I'll buy this. Until then, I'm going to follow Occam's razor in thinking that a militarily-organized entity, with military discipline, ranks, and regulations, which performs military missions, and has never been seen to do anything that has not historically been a military mission, is a military, not a quasi-mystical pseudo-peaceful exploration agency that can sometimes fight.

flawed and incorrect argument. If deputized, they certainly do become a police force under the law.

Bushwa! Writer fails do not make that claim true, and if Starfleet doesn't already have those missions in it's charter, then it's been performing illegal missions since the beginning.
    None of this is true. Until the 20th century, the military was the primary exploration agency, followed by merchants. There was no "exploration agency" of the kind you imagine.

And referred to incorrectly by an impulsive brat with daddy issues. We've been over this before.[/QUOTE] Your false interpretation to suit your irrational prejudice. Also, Carol cetainly saw Starfleet as the military, so that right there throws out your "brat" idea.

13. Darkwing

Interesting idea. Personally, I just figured this universe's Starfleet didn't get so touchy-feely that they had counselors on the senior staff. We might have just never seen LTjg Troi, toiling away down in Sickbay. Or she might never have been posted to a battleship in the first place.

Aside from special condition to make super-soldiers, you grossly OVER-estimate the difference.

14. blssdwlf

You must've missed out on most of DS9 then. "Battle of AR-558" and the deployment of Starfleet forces to protect the streets of Earth in "Paradise Lost" would indicate Starfleet does also ground combat.

The Andorians got 13 mentions in DS9.

Doubtful. You're assuming that the Andorians would become the core of the ground forces which may not have been the case.

Kira always wore her Bajoran military uniform. Colonel West wore a Starfleet uniform. He would not be a liaison and again it corresponds to the TOS timeframe that Starfleet was a Military.

We do not know if Andorians decided to join the MACOs or if the MACOs even continued to exist after the formation of the Federation or was integrated into Starfleet.

Top Gun/Red Flag are fighter training schools that need to have aircraft in a controlled location to train.

Navy wargames like the one the M5 did involve many units that train on location, often front-line. See the recent US-South Korean wargames.

I'm just pointing out what the dialogue and characters at their respective times have described Starfleet as. Your evidence that Starfleet is not military in TNG's and ENT's time rests also on dialogue. TOS and TOS Movies say Starfleet was a Military. It has nothing to do with assumptions but evidence as presented.

And confirmed by Carol Marcus who is the actual person that called Starfleet, "The Military". Yes, we've been over this before ;)

15. blssdwlf

Since we do not know either way Troi's fate we can simply say she wasn't assigned to the ship at that time or fate unknown.

Yeah, and it would look just like the Starfleet of TOS and TOS Movies.

Food for thought: If you need to discredit evidence like actual character dialogue in order to get your argument to work then your argument is flawed and needs reworking.

16. Crazy Eddie

At 2:21 seconds, you may want to take your own advice.

17. blssdwlf

Please quote where I attempt to discredit Picard's dialogue the way you've been desperately trying to do with David Marcus or any of the other characters. :D

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Captain's log, Stardate 42923.4. Despite misgivings, I have agreed to Starfleet's request that the Enterprise divert to the Braslota System, to take part in a war game exercise.

When your superiors within an organization make a "request," it is in fact an order.

Kolrami: "Captain Picard, it is my understanding that you initially resisted Starfleet's request for this simulation."
    Picard: "Yes."
    Kolrami: "May I know why?"
    Picard: "Starfleet is not a military organisation."

Picad equates engaging in a war game exercise with Starfleet being a military organization. But Starfleet Command ordered him to engage in the war game.

Kolrami: "Captain. I bring greetings from those at Starfleet Command."

Captain Picard may not believe that Starfleet is a military organization, but apparently the people he works for do.

:)

19. Crazy Eddie

That's not even true in real-world militaries. What makes you think that would be true of Starfleet?

No they didn't. They REQUESTED he participate in the exercise, a request that Picard initially refused and only recently changed his mind. In fact, it's not even clear how long ago the request was made; Picard claims the only reason he agreed to it is because of the Borg threat, which suggests Starfleet made the request -- and Picard declined to participate -- several months ago, even before the events in Q-Who.

That raises an interesting point: they made it a REQUEST, not an order. Picard only accepted it because of the urgent nature of the Borg threat (the same reason the Defiant was originally built). If the Enterprise had never encountered the Borg, Picard never would have gone to Braslota in the first place.

That is, unless you would prefer to argue on the basis that Picard is a lying idealistic anti-military flower child. :shrug:

20. Darkwing

Eddie, in the military, there is no such thing as a request. Orders are sometimes framed as requests, but that's just being nice to subordinates. You would know this if you'd served, but anyone who's served would also have scorn for the "non-military" starfleet idea.