JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Quick question. What is this .NOW crap with Marvel? I'm only reading Spider-Man and not keeping up with the news.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It means absolutely nothing, it's just a brand name for this period of time after the Infinity crossover. Some issues are being called 11.NOW but they're really just issue 11 and it means nothing :lol:

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are the IDW Transformers, TMNT, Ghostbusters or Godzilla series any good?

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Turtles: I've really been enjoying the TMNT title. It's a satsfying mix of the classic traditional Mirage, the Archie and a mix of new. We have a thread on it but when it became clear I was the last one still reading I stopped contributing. Didn't seem anyone cared.

Ghostbusters: I've not read but there was a thread on that. Faded out a bit quicker than TMNT one.

Transformers and Godzilla are for someone else to comment upon.

This board seems heavily DC interested more so than Marvel and discussion of much else is hard to maintain. I tried a VALIANT thread for awhile. I find their Universe lots of fun.
    That showed me to not even try the Dark Horse Comics superhero relaunch with Project Black Sky or Dynamites Gold Key relaunch sub-line.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There is two TF titles. One is More Than Meets the Eye, the other is Robots in Disguise. MTMTE deals with Hot Rod leading off the Autobots in a spaceship and having adventures while trying to find the lost ancestors of the transformers so they can rejuvenate their home planet. RiD is about the Autobots left on their planet trying to rebuild their world and governing a population of neutrals and Decepticons who hate each other and the Autobots. MTMTE is usually considered the superior title and is up there with some of the best stuff put out by the Big 2 and Image though it's written more like something in the vein of Farscape or Dr. Who. RiD is decent too, but its plotlines take longer to build up and it's written more like a regular comicbook.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

IDW Ghostbusters has been excellent recently. Well worth picking up. They just started their big 30th Anny arc which reintroduced Dana and harkens back to the first movie.

Yeah, the .NOW stuff is just branding stuff...usually denotes a major arc or important issue though within an arc...a way for Marvel to tell us what they feel is an important issue or whatever.

7. Savage Dragon

It's funny. I was so into Marvel growing up and into my 20s. I look at the stuff on the shelves now I just can't seem to muster up any enthusiasm. It doesn't help that they've started all their series over at #1 so many times.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been reading X-Men Comics on and off, but I can't keep track of the timeline if I miss anything. We're up to like 45492 X-Titles now and then 14 one shots a month. It's infuriating.

9. Savage Dragon

I was starting to get tired of the mega-crossovers in the 90s. I can't imagine what they are like now.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Marvel isn't as great as it used to be, but it's a damned lot better than the DC Reboot! ;)

11. Savage Dragon

Funnily enough I am reading a lot of DC right now. I hadn't read any DC (or any other comics) in about 15 years so the reboot didn't really bother me.

12. Hound of UIster

Like Savage Dragon showed, the reboot worked for casual readers.

13. Savage Dragon

Yeah. I think if I had been an ongoing reader I would have been a little pissed too though. I wasn't very happy about it when Marvel did it, that's for sure.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's really what the purpose of the relaunch was. To draw in casual fans who hadn't been reading in a long time and of course "new fans" (which is still debatable). It really wasn't focused on long term hardcore fans.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think the numbers have shown the books have settled back to their pre-Flashpoint numbers, but I don't have the source to back me up ;)

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Good work, Guy!

It looks like the A list titles are selling higher, but that's because of Scott Snyder and Jim Lee and whatnot, not because of the reboot, while the middling titles are right where they were before.

18. Hound of UIster

Jim Lee isn't even on there.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The early issues of Justice League?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just picked up the first (digital) TPB of Runaways on Comixology marked down from US$10.99 to US$1.99. I hadn't planned on getting any more comics until I finished the ones I already bought but haven't read (Winter Soldier Part 2, Star Wars: Legacy Vol 4, and New 52 Wonder Woman Vol 3.), but at that price I couldn't pass it up.