Polar Lights NX-01 "Refit"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by 137th Gebirg, Sep 27, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Shit, they could probably fit the NX-01 in the Abramsprise shuttle bay by now - ILM's scaled it up so much! :cool:

2. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

The NX-01 refit, even considering the fact that she wasn´t seen in any movie, is generally accepted as canon.
    By other side, I know (as a lot of you) that Doug is in campain to have a web series, beggining from where Enterprise finished. The series will feature the NX-01 refit as the main ship.
    A friend of mine is tweaking the mesh provided by Doug himself, that (maybe) will used in the show. ;)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That isn't hoe canon works. CBS/Paramount only count what happens on-screen, live-action.

Will never happen.

4. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

never say never, could happen, you never know

5. 137th Gebirg

Interesting. It almost sounds like Doug might be trying to go down the same path with Enterprise that Richard Hatch did with TOS Battlestar Galactica when he funded his "The Second Coming" trailer for a pitch to Universal. Hopefully, if Doug puts something together, it won't lead him to near-financial ruin like it almost did for Richard. :(
    If movies like Howard the Duck or Battlefield Earth can get made, then quite literally anything is possible in Hollywoodland.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's possible, of course, but extremely improbable. Paramount will obviously stick to the Bad Robot films for at least another movie (if not more) and CBS has shown no interest in returning Star Trek to television (and if they did, why would they re-launch the least successful installment of the franchise?).

A web series is a bit of a wild card, granted, but I still doubt this will ever happen.

Also, the design is ugly. Doug Drexler is a talented artist, but this one just doesn't do it for me.

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I don't think the refit makes much sense, given how we know the NX-01 to be internally arranged. Doesn't it also pretty much eliminate use of the drop bay?

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I presume with a secondary hull in place, there would be a hangar deck as per the TOS E.

--Alex

9. BillJ

Seems like it would've been cheaper to build a new ship rather than completely rearrange the innards of the NX-01.

10. 137th Gebirg

Heh...tell that to the engineers that completely rearranged the innards of the TOS Enterprise in TMP. McCoy was right... ;)

11. BillJ

Was there really much left of the original Enterprise though?

12. 137th Gebirg

You asked if it would have been cheaper to build a new ship vs rearrange an existing one, and there was already precedence for this. I suspect that there may have been pieces of the internal hull support structure and space frame still in place from the TOS E, but everything else, from the outer skin to the hallways, cabins, engines, shuttebay, etc., was changed. "This is almost entirely new Enterprise" said Capt. Decker. That was a completely true statement as far as I could tell. If anything, they went further with that E than they did with Archer's.

13. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

In the novels, the secondary hull is nested within the second half of the warp field so it doesn't affect warp flight.

It now holds shuttlebays in the sides, the new warp 6 engine and engineering (the old engineering section is reused for more mechanical changes to the saucer) and a new deflector assembly. The old one is reduced to a secondary spare.

15. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
  16. 137th Gebirg

Yeah, I can't see those other two openings being anything more than drydock cargo loading areas.