Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

They should decide for one aspect ratio for the BluRay. I found the changing between formats on The Dark Knight Rises really distracting.

2. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Diagree completely! Original aspect ratio all the way!
    Now, if the viewer had their choice when watching the movie, I could go with that, a nice compromise for all.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Except the IMAX shots on the Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray are not in their original aspect ratio. They are in 1:78:1 instead of 1:44:1 as they were theatrically.

I too, would welcome the option to select the version you prefer.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

True. It is, however, closer to the original than the ones without the changing ratios.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It is certainly closer...but if the argument is "OAR vs altered", then surely any alteration is a negative. I think it's because they know full well that if they pillarboxed the IMAX footage, many consumers would go apeshit.

Dark Knight Rises was also shown theatrically in 2:35:1 (for the whole film) so if one were to argue semantics (and I do love to) it is actually a more accurate OAR release than the altered, almost-there shifting ratio.

The DVD is in 2:35:1, and is accurate to non-IMAX screenings.
    The Blu-ray is in shifting ratio, and is not accurate to any theatrical screening.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I prefer OAR to zoomed/cropped for HBO (or to old pan and scan) releases. However, IF a filmmaker has a preference for home video releases, one that is not OAR, I will support the filmmaker's choice (even if is not my preference--as was the case with Kubrick releases years ago). I strongly believe filmmakers should be free to decide how they want their work presented in any given format.

As far as shifting ratios are concerned, I only have the two Batman films that do so and while not OAR to the IMAX presentation, I still prefer them to the straight 2.35:1 presentation of the DVDs.

Ideally, especially because it can be easily accomplished with today's technology, I think all shifting ratio releases should include a fixed ratio non-IMAX OAR version as an option in hi-def, but I'm prepared to forgo that if I get the shifting ratio version. YMMV

7. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OAR is a relative term here.

If you saw the movie in IMAX, you saw some footage in IMAX Aspect Ration. But what if we're presented with the film as shown for the standard presentation, where the switching between aspect ratios did not occur?

Is that wrong, or is that what was the preferred presentation by the director? Does he actually have a preference?

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

There are relatively few movies with shifting aspect ratios in the first place and only a small fraction of those get released with shifting ratios for home viewing. The only director I know of who expressed a preference (i.e. insisted) that shifting ratios be released is Nolan. And even then, he only released it that way in Blu-ray (the DVD doesn't have it--perhaps because of limitations of DVD but more likely (speculation) because HDTVs are still not in the majority of homes today (much less so several years ago) and the shifting ratio would look horrible on a standard def TV).

Steven Soderbergh made a film some years ago called The Good German. He intended it as an homage to film noir from the 40s and wanted it released in the old Academy 1.37:1 ratio (almost indistinguishable from the SDTV ratio of 1.33:1). The studio refused and it was released at the cinema in 1.85:1. However, Soderbergh was able to have it released in his preferred ratio for home viewing. Having seen it in each ratio, I prefer the 1:37:1, even though, technically, it isn't OAR if compared to the theatrical release.

The Artist, however, was able to get a 1.37:1 ratio in the theatrical release--perhaps owing to its silent film aspect.

9. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

A question from an aspect ratio n00b.

It was my understanding that filmmaker always shot in widescreen because you got more of the picture that way. Every TV however used a 4:3 ratio and I heard people complain all the time about movies shot in widescreen being altered to fit 4:3 in full.

Why is is now that we actually have HD TV's that are also by design wider that we still get films with the black bars?

Is is just a choice? Certain films are shot wide but in full frame and they look fabulous? Is now just simply a visual preference?

If it is, as a director if I knew we were shooting a variety of scenes in IMAX I would also choose to film the rest of the movie in a similar fashion so as to avoid the Dark Knigh Blu-Ray fiasco.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we do get deleted scenes, I would really love to know the context of the "You think you're world is safe, but it is an illusion...I will have my vengeance" from the trailer. I saw the movie twice and it felt like a lot of a trailer was absent from the final product.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I don't think those lines were ever meant to be in the movie. Just something that vaguely fits the movie's plot and which would get fans talking. VERY vaguely, in this case, since Khan was trying to save his crew first and foremost. The closest to his "You think you're/your world is safe?" in the film is "If you think you're safe at warp, you're wrong."

In the last trailer for STXI, Nero said "I've been waiting for this day my whole life... this day of reckoning." as we saw Vulcan implode. It sent chills up my spine. But guess what? It wasn't just NOT in the movie, it was from the GAG REEL, and Eric Bana continues it with "...you will die. JJ Abrams will die. Everyone. Will. Die." while staring deadpan into the camera.

I barely pay any attention to film trailers that aren't Star Trek. Is this kind of embellishment the norm? I know it started in Trek with the Generations trailer.

12. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

Yeah, it's the norm. Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't know.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are different kinds of aspect ratio. 4:3 of course is the "square" look of old TVs. Things that fill the entire screen of today's widescreen TVs are filmed in 16:9. Then there's a variety of different aspect ratios which movies are filmed in depending on director's preference, and when you see a movie in which the black bars still show up on the top and bottom of the screen of your widescreen TV, it's been shot in one of those aspect ratios. Usually it's kept in that ration on DVD or Blu-ray in order to keep the film exactly as you saw it in theatres.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I have nothing to back this up - but I strongly doubt the STID Blu-ray will be in Variable Aspect Ratio. It's a shame, VAR doesn't bother me in the slightest, and the IMAX scenes on The Dark Knight/Rises BD's look absolutely spectacular on a really large screen. It's truly immersive and a far superior experience to watching super-gimmicky 3D IMHO.

15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Actually, filmmakers shot/shoot with different aspect ratios in mind for the final product. Without getting overly technical (as I don't have time at the moment), the standard ratio until the early 50s was 4:3 ish (1.37:1 vs. the 1.33:1 of a standard TV). Films with that aspect ratio fit perfectly well on SDTV screens. In the 50s, wide screen ratios (varying from 1.66:1 to 2.70:1--think Ben-Hur) were introduced to compete with TV. There had been a few widescreen films earlier, but they were quite rare.

By the 1970s, two widescreen ratios had become the norm (though others still popped up as well): 1.85:1 (which on HDTVs leaves very tiny black bars top and bottom because HDTVs are 1.78:1) and 2.35-.40:1 (those leave black bars top and bottom on HDTVs, though not as thick as on SDTVs).

Answered above.

Choice of aspect ratio is an artistic decision by the filmmakers. Studios (with exceptions to very influential filmmakers) reserve the right to modify the ratios for home video releases (though since HDTVs became common, they have not done this too much) and for broadcasters/cable channels. In those cases (think HBO and Cinemax and so on), many 2.35:1 films are "zoomed" to fill the 1.78:1 (16x9) HDTV screen. It seems people tolerate "black bars" when movies are rented on discs, but not on cable channels. :confused: Movies with a 1.85:1 ratio are often "zoomed" to 1.78:1, both on disc and on TV channels, but the effect is extremely minimal. With wider ratios, the effect can get quite ugly, though not as bad as the pan and scan days of VHS.

Ah. Here is where I disagree. I found the "fiasco" quite satisfying as it highlights the IMAX imagery, just as it did in the cinema. I will concede that the effect probably works better on home cinemas with projectors (as I have) than on a 40" HDTV in one's living room. That's why I think a shifting ratio should be available, but would prefer it not be the only option. Warner's should have released the Batman films with branched chapters to give those with smaller screens (and those who prefer a fixed ratio) a hi-def option.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Wallmart has a special Steelbook edition of the movie that comes with the Hot Wheels USS Vengeance toy.

17. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was tempted by the Walmart release, but Target are releasing a version with 30 minutes more special features, so although I won't have 3D, I'll have the movie and the features I like.

Steelbook release looks really cool though.

18. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd rather have the Vengeance.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Currently this bluray is #2 on Amazon in the Scifi movie sales category and #3 in the action adventure category.

RAMA

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th

Ah, okay. Now it makes sense. I thought September 10th was too soon. November or December 10th makes alot more sense.

I'll hold out for the two-disk, which, if tradition holds, will most likely be a November/December release.

Holiday sales, and all that....