Never noticed this before

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by propita, Jul 11, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How many times have you watched a film for the umpteenth time and noticed something for the first time?

I was watching the start of "Big." All this time, I've thought that Josh Baskin's parents were divorced or something. But at the start of the film, when his mother calls him to take out the trash, a male voice asks something like, "didn't you hear your mother?"

Now, I know that doesn't mean father, but I'll go by the CC, which says the voice is "Mr. Baskin."

What's really stupid of me is that they even SHOW the father, when they're at the carnival before Josh first sees the Zoltan machine.

I wonder why that got so minimized in my mind all these years.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

In Star Wars, the lasers have a stun setting.

They use it once, in the first five minutes, and never again for the entire franchise.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching Cloud Atlas, Frobisher listens to Ayers talk about the music he heard in a dream, and says "When you aren't thinking about it, it will come to you," or some such thing we've all heard before. Ayers says to him that he is naive. Frobisher responds - with much certainty - "I'm anything but."

But what's interesting about this is that, earlier in the film, when Kesselring, who is from Germany, visits, Ayers and Frobisher later discusses how Kesselring could never be with Jocasta, the Jewish woman. Frobisher asks why not, and Ayers condemns him for his naivete, saying "can you really be that ignorant of what's happening in Germany?"

In fact, Frobisher is quite naive throughout the movie. That naivete allows him to believe in reincarnation, which does come to pass.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same thing happened with me. I didn't realize it until you just posted this.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I asked my husband last night--in "Big," were the parents divorced or was the mother widowed or was the father present? He said he thought they were divorced, but...

I told him that not only is there a man's voice, not only do they show the father at the carnival...then Hubby finished the sentence. "Josh took his dad's clothes."

All these very visible points and we never remembered he was in the movie! Kinda feel sorry for the actor. Maybe it's because the mother got all the best lines.

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

This just happen with me and the movie, How To Train Your Dragon. HTTYD is my oldest sons favorite movie, he's four and watches it a few times a week. So I have probably seen or half watched this movie hundred times by now. When Hiccup is given his helmet by his dad Stoick, he tells him it was made from his mothers breast plate. I never caught that little tidbit before. Then when Stoick leaves Hiccup thanks him for the Breast hat. I actually had to rewind the Blu-ray to make sure what I heard and after confirming it, I laughed out loud.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "twist ending" to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is stated obviously right at the beginning of the movie. I don't know how I missed that several times.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

TV-wise, I never noticed until long after ST:TNG ended that Betazoid eyes are all black.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daniel Plainview's (Daniel Day-Lewis) son in There Will Be Blood is not his actual son. I must have been drifting at the beginning, & just mesmerized by Day-Lewis' performance or something, that it got past me. I really don't know how. It's pretty plain

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Credit this to a recent Cracked article: towards the beginning of Jurassic Park, Grant solves his helicopter seatbelt problem by tying two "male" ends together; this foreshadows the revelation that the dinosaurs' genders are somewhat fluid.

11. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

There's also Hiccup's final test, when Astrid goes on her little rant, they left the actresses full rambling in the scene so you hear her drop the f-bomb only a couple of seconds in as she leaves the screen.

13. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    In TESB when Luke jumps down into the shaft to follow Vader you can actually hear a little "boing" bounce sound as Luke jumps on the small trampoline. A second later his head bounces back up into frame.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In that ENT episode where the Xindi attack Earth, and Archer is watching footage from the Vulcan starship that had earlier entered the Delphic Expanse (and its crew came out insane), some of the Vulcans in that clip are trying to do the Vulcan Death Grip. Which does not actually exist!

15. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I've seen topic being discussed recently on IMDB. I always remember seeing the gun, but I don't understand that the big deal about it is all of a sudden. The Munchkin soliders had rifles and no one makes a big deal about that.

So I'm wondering if its an anti-gun thing or just someone without a brain having a gun (which I guess the anti-gun people would love as a symbolic methaphor or something).

16. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Its not a recent thing with me, a coworker pointed it out in the 90's when her kid was watching WoOz daily on the VCR.

I'm not antigun, it just seems anachronistic... in a land with magic, why have a gun?

Sure, Emma carried her's in the Enchanted forest (OuaT), but she brought it with her from our world. The scarecrow doesn't have that excuse.

17. drmidnite66

drmidnite66 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the film version of "Popeye" you can see a strange bearded man in rags in the background ... he can be seen peaking in windows and trying to hide behind poles etc... No explanation of who this is or why this guy's lurking behavior is tolerated is forthcoming in the movie ... I only noticed it after viewing the film several times...

18. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Yeah, I never got the big deal with it, either. As you said, the soldiers had rifles and the Scarecrow picked it up after swinging by Oz. You know, the place ruled by an American con-man who, very likely, was packing when he got swept there.

Considering the Scarecrow had no martial skills to speak of, a gun makes perfect sense for him. That's pretty much why they became popular, because anyone can use one to defend themselves. And with gunpowder being relatively common in Oz, why not pack some heat if you're spindly guy made of straw who's worst enemies are flying targets?

19. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

The main thing that suddenly springs to me is when a minor character in a movie that I've seen loads of times suddenly stands out and I go "holy crap, it's...."

Ben Cross in "A Bridge Too Far," Ben Browder in "Memphis Belle", and Nathan Fillion in "Saving Private Ryan".

Just finished watching "Deep Blue Sea" on ITV2, a movie that I've seen god knows how many times, but only just realised that the executive during the first meeting of Saffron Burrows and Samuel L Jackson, who sits in the chair and doesn't say a word, is Ronny Cox!

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

He was the original gangsta...just ask Batman...