The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's a bit of a waste to have such a big reveal about a character who's motives were yet to be fully known and then kill her off. Why not have a few more episodes with us knowing this secret but the other characters not knowing.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Given how abruptly Nicki was killed off in the middle of her arc, I wonder if Fionnula Flanagan was unable to continue with the show and had to be written out prematurely.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

So, if they do something expected (making Nicolette an Indogene, even though that was pretty much the entire point of introducing that concept into the show), that's a bad thing.

And if they do something unexpected (killing off Nicolette in the middle of her arc), that's a bad thing.

Color me confused.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was subtle earlier.

Her image and personality can be expressed through the Golden Knot.

IMDB has me sceptical about if she's back this season, but the knot is an open door policy to have Nicolette participate in the "present" as long as it is in the possession of someone with a strong emotional connection to her... Because maybe that's how the device works?

To use the ghost function for Yewll, there had to be someone who she had an intimate connection with who had died, and unless she was sleeping with Lawkeeper Clancy, someone had to die to service this plot device.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, a great episode. I didn't expect so many big character moments before the end of the season. I really liked the flashbacks, it was cool to see some stuff from before the show started.
    And I was actually right about Nicky! I figured since they introduced that, but then got rid of (edited since I remembered he didn't die, just left) the astronot that somebody else would be a sleeper too. Although I am sad to see her go, Fionnula Flanagan is a great actress and it's a shame we (probably) won't see her on a regular basis anymore.
    So does this mean Yewll will be our big bad now?
    I'm curious what they are going to do with the Alak/Christie relationship now that they are married.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^sudden images of a black and white episode of Defiance with Alak and Christie made up to look like Ricky and Lucy.

"Christie, you have some 'splainin to do!"
    "Oh Alaaaaaak!"

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Am I the only one who is kind of losing patience with Christie? She doesn't seem to realize that marrying into an alien culture might involve some adjustments on her part . . ..

8. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was anxious during the entire episode. Not because of the murder mystery but because of that damn wedding.

I guess I have to blame Game of Thrones for that.

Good episode, though. Best one so far, in fact.

9. teacake

I think her boyfriend has really thrown himself into earth culture, and the teenage culture that has developed in that is inclusive of Castithans and Humans. Look at him there being a disc jockey, dying his hair, wearing jeans.. she hasn't grasped yet that he will revert to the values and traditions and interests of his parents once he gets older. This happens today, women marry a guy who is in his free wheeling college years in a new country and get a huge shock when he grows out of that and reverts to his home culture's values about women.

She's young, she's naive, she's in love with the boy in front of her. It's only experience that teaches us to look ahead at what a person may become, or what we may become. At that age you are dazzled by the present and you can't imagine being 30 some day and having changed.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, that sounds about right . . . .

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Middle of her arc? There's only two eps. left.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started the episode upset that so much of the Casithan bachelor party seemed similar to our customs. A party at a bar, with a stripper/prostitute, etc. Their taunting of each other seemed very human-like. But, as the episode went on, I realized that we are seeing Castithans who were raised on Earth. It's only natural that they'd assimilate.

I appreciate the mention, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one who thought she was the sleeper. Maybe I did and forgot, but I think it was another poster. Or, maybe I'm a sleeper. ;)

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Oh, you're right, it was JD. I went back and checked to see who said it, but I checked my own post in response, which started out responding to you and then switched to responding to JD, so I got confused. Sorry.

Anyway, I've felt all along that the Castithans are far too human, that just in general the show has failed to be very imaginative with its aliens in either makeup or culture.

14. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's okay, for a moment, I wanted to be prescient enough to have predicted that twist!

Datak and Stahma do seem more "old world," as you would expect from first generation imigrants, with their child, Alak, being more "new world." But, yes, they aren't very imaginative. The more of the Iranthians I see, the more they remind me of the Dothraki.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The whole wedding looked like bad cosplay of a Lord of the Rings wedding.

16. teacake

Oh what? NO, it was cool! Don't forget it was slapped together by Stahma who had to work around the cancellation. And they are in a frontier post apocalyptic town so they don't exactly have all the bells and whistles.

17. Guy Gardener

[Tennant]What?! What!? What!?[/Tennant]

OH!

The cancellation of the original wedding, not the cancellation of the series.

18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Yes its post-apocalyptic, but what is stopping them from manufacturing things on a large scale again? They still have the manpower. They still have know-how about mechanical engineering, production lines and such. They obviously have gulanite powered engines, so a 1900s industrial era factory is still possible.

19. Guy Gardener

The terraforming was complete.

They said that every city was demolished, but considering the importance and rise of New York, I'm thinking that every city on the mainland was destroyed. The water would have protected the islands that make up New York City, and other cities off the coast land.

But the mainland would have been frakked.

The interstate highways are gone.

The railways are gone too.

And Air travel is impossible, or too dangerous.

They can build factories and whatever, they're not stupid, but the only reliable method of mass freight transit they have is boats. So it's almost impossible to disseminate any freight of any classification to any "city" more than a few miles from a large water way.

They wouldn't build a city where Defiance is except for the mine.

Even with the mine it's still a stupid place for people to live.

20. teacake

The islands of NYC are not out in some great sea, you can walk across short bridges to the mainland on some. They are nestled right up against the mainland and those little bits of water (easily swum in some places) would not protect NYC from anything.