Season 3 Blu-Ray: December 15

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Deep Space Nine did this, as well.

2. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

For those interested, it's $79.99 on Amazon now.

3. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

It'll be down to $60 by release day.
    Season 2 started at $70-something on Amazon and hit $59.99 on the release day.

4. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I know. And Amazon automatically adjusts the price to the lowest price it was ever at prior to shipping.

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

STAR TREK 2nd PILOT Reconstructed

Just came across this.
    STAR TREK 2nd PILOT Reconstructed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBGSaBZynw
    Length: 9:51
    The purpose of this video is to highlight differences between versions.

We'll see if the unaired 2nd pilot looks like this on the Blu-ray.

6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, syndicated shows (and UPN stuff) held onto those for a lot longer. Voyager did it as well. As in the old days, the studios would commission misuc for these bumpers and billboards. Lost in Space actually updated theirs in the third season to a very nice, jaunty five second piece by John Williams. It's available on the recent 2 CD release of music from that series.

Ahhhh, the good old days...

7. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I'm excited about Season 3 of TOS comming out. I'm looking forward to seeing my other favorite episodes which is on that season. I really like Spock's Brain, All Our Yesterdays,Day Of The Dove. Right now I got those on my iphone that I bought from itunes. I like to see them on bigger screen rather than just a little screen like my phone and comptuer.

8. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I am really glad they are including the alternate version, but............

Looking at that youtube link----of the 9:51 running time you're getting about less than two minutes of new footage---less than 45 seconds if you exclude the opening and closing credits and less than 30 seconds if you exclude the litle 'act II' overlays and one (1) actual new line of dialogue.

It's nice to have, but not really any great addition to star trek lore.

I mean in 1986 when they aired the uncut 'Cage' we saw about 15 minutes of new footage. That's an alternate cut.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it's still an alternate version that is, in some small ways, superior to the aired. VERY small ways, I grant you...Grant. Such as the full coverages of the fight at the end, which had the more "brutal" knee-blows replaced by Dehner reaction shots. None of this, however, changes the episode to any great degree. In fact, the aired version is moe than great as is. But it's also a nice look at a format we never saw (Act I, and so on).

Besides, The Cage isn't an "alternate cut", it's a "restored cut" since without those scenes, the episode wouldn't exist at all other than as footage in The Menagerie. The WNMHGB cut IS truly an alternate cut, since it includes different music, additional shots, scenes and lines.

I agree, it's not like finding a 90 minute cut of the episode, but it is a different version that is historically interesting - but really only to the die hards like me. My wife couldn't care less. :-)

Actually, I've seen stills of Gary Mitchell walking on the bridge with sunglasses, scenes not in the aired or unaired episode. I assume the full scenes are long gone, but it would have been interesting to see how that played out.

10. Hober Mallow

I wonder if they'll bother with an HD transfer. I would hope so, but it wouldn't kill me if they didn't. The TZ season one set includes the original cut of the pilot, and it clearly wasn't given the full remaster treatment the other episodes got.

11. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always loved seeing different edits of films and TV shows, whether it's Blade Runner, Superman II, the Alien movies, serials like Doctor Who recut to feature-length with cut footage originally dropped to bring it on time. Seeing the original cut of Where No Man Has Gone Before is on that level. Sure the difference amounts to a just few minutes, that's still enough time to cast the whole episode in a different light. It's down to the individual to decide which is better... It's an obsessive fan gene for sure and it doesn't necessarily matter to your average viewer. They're perfectly willing to just have an end product, with or without Deckerd's on the nose, Marlowesque voice-over, an overly comedic Superman sequel or not. So long as both versions co-exist. The more time passes, the more it doesn't matter. The more choice the merrier.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  12. jefferiestubes8

alternate edits, deleted scenes & Trek

ChristopherPike that was so well said! As Trek fans we would all love to see the 'what ifs...' of cutting room floor outtakes and deleted scenes and even the unshot but storyboarded sequences edited together with someone reading the scripted dialogue and descriptions.
    With the DVD medium we got deleted scenes as well as all the behind the scenes footage shot on location starting with Generations.
    For fans to be able to have this stuff is great. Even for an film like ST V:TFF we are (mostly) happy to hear about what could have been.
    I haven't seen Superman II the Richard Donner Cut but I know it's out there.
    Yes in 40 years who knows if both versions will be talked about and remembered as part of Hollywood history.
    Roddenberry's multiple efforts (The Cage & 2nd pilot) getting TOS up and running and the popularity and longevity of the Trek franchise allow for these unaired episode/alternate edits to be seen by fans. If Paramount/CBS Home Video can make money with this stuff they will. Who other than Trek fans really cares to see two 1970s TV pilots that were not produced as TV series Genesis II, & Planet Earth on DVD? Warner Brothers knew they would be able to sell them...
    The director's cut of Aliens (1986) really adds to Ripley's backstory and her connection with Newt. The film doesn't really seem to suffer for being too long. I have the DVD and think it's a great film and am glad to have these scenes added back in.

While off topic that said it is HIGHLY unlikely there will be a director's cut with new visual effects of STV:TFF that Paramount/CBS would have to put money into. The 2003 Sp.Col. Edition DVD will be the last time I think we'll see it as it was included on Star Trek Motion Picture Collection (Blu-Ray) but not released as a separate release you could purchase.
    Highly unlikely they'll put any money into releasing a sp. col. edition Blu-Ray of STV:TFF other than less digital noise reduction on the video image. Some films we don't need to see any more work put into.

Perhaps down the road Paramount/CBS Home Video would be willing to release more alternative-edited Trek when the home video well runs dry between nuTrek films after the eventual ENTERPRISE series Blu-ray release & maybe like Warner Brothers have done with a DVD-R release so as to make small duplication runs instead of a high # of duplications to possibly be sitting in a warehouse unsold?

Star Trek: Enterprise The Complete First Season has 16 deleted scenes on the DVD
    Star Trek: Enterprise The Complete Second Season has 8 deleted scenes on the DVD
    Star Trek: Enterprise The Complete Third Season has 6 deleted scenes on the DVD
    Star Trek: Enterprise The Complete Fourth Season has 3 deleted scenes on the DVD

No deleted scenes are on the TNG, VOY, and DS9 DVDs.
    Are there deleted scenes from TNG, VOY, and DS9 episodes we'd like to see? I'm sure there are even in subpar one-light workprint form on 3/4" or BetaSP format 20-year old videotapes. That's how some of the Motion Picture collection deleted scenes have been presented even on the Blu-rays but we are happy to have them to see the what ifs...

Such as the NOT included deleted scenes - like Quark's cut bit from Insurrection.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  13. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: STAR TREK 2nd PILOT Reconstructed

Thanks for the link!

14. Hober Mallow

Re: alternate edits, deleted scenes & Trek

I'd like to see David Rappaport's version of Kivas Fajo in "The Most Toys."

15. jefferiestubes8

TOS season 1-3 Blu-ray

I just noticed on Amazon.com they have all 3 seasons of TOS on Blu-ray as a package.
    Star Trek: The Original Series - Seasons 1-3 [Blu-ray]
    Price: $175.99
    That is $58.66/season

I wonder if it will come down in July or December 2010 to around $120. for those Trek fans waiting for a good Blu-ray price...

16. jefferiestubes8

2nd pilot WNMHGB specs

CBS/PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE RESTORED VERSION OF ALTERNATE "STAR TREK" PILOT ON BLU-RAY
    An exclusive report for TrekWeb.com by Bill Williams Nov.16, 2009

So this pilot will obviously be 1 (and possibly 2) generation(s) from the original camera negatives that TOS seasons 1-3 have been telecined from for the Blu-ray releases. Thus it will have more film grain and be a little contrastier on the non-visual effects shots.

17. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Re: TOS season 1-3 Blu-ray

This is the set I want to buy. I'll bet it'll be cheaper than that when it is released less than 2 weeks before Christmas.

18. jefferiestubes8

a review is up! blu-ray.com

blu-ray.com has just reviewed it. with 10 screenshots.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Season-3-Blu-ray-Review/7192/

19. jefferiestubes8

20. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

On Season 2 the disc that has Trouble with Tribbles, they do have the episode from The Animaited Series More Tribbles More Troubles on it as well an episode from DS9 too. I have watched the whole dvd set expepet for the special features. Anyways I cant wait for season 3 which is only a week away. I like to see my other favorite episodes on there as well watch the others I havent seen in long time.