Spoilers TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 18, 2013.

?

Rate Revelation and Dust.

1. Outstanding

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Above Average

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Below Average

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Poor

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I keep thinking about the book. The description of DS9-II is great (although I wouldn't have put the new ops in such an exposed location) and I actually liked the Kira/Bajor's past aspect better than the assassination plot.

I wonder whether the dangling threads will be resolved in the final book, which revisits DS9, or in a potential DS9 series. The only part I truly disliked was the lengthy Emissary sequence in the beginning. I appreciate the reference to the anniversary but it felt too long.

The reason I liked the Bajor-centred story is because it expands upon the history of an alien culture and continues the Bajora-thread of previous DS9 books while exploring a different era at the same time.

2. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Although I liked the book quite a bit, I tend to agree with those who are saying it doesn't seem to fit well with the later books in "The Fall." I wasn't aware that Peaceable Kingdoms will also be set on DS9, so perhaps it will pick up some of the threads from R & D. The reopening of the wormhole and the appearance of Altan Dans would seem mostly likely to be followed up immediately.

I'm hoping that R & D is going to be a restart of regular DS9 novels by multiple authors similar to the original DS9 relaunch.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I was watching the DS9 episode "Things Past" the other day; in that episode Sisko is a Bajoran named Ishan Chaye in Odo's mind; any relation to President Pro Tempore Ishan Anjar?

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Not clear but an interesting idea.

--Sran

5. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Ishan Anjar is Captain Sisko, and the Sisko we've been following is a Founder. Calling it now.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ishan Chaye was a victim of the Occupation. Documented as such. If the President pro tempore is indeed a relative as suspected, it explains some of his behaviour.

7. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I don't know. I can definitely see him being bitter towards Cardassia, both for the Occupation and for Dukat ordering his brother's execution. But why try to disrupt Federation politics by participating in the murder of a legitimately elected leader like Nan Bacco? I don't see the point unless Ishan's mind is so warped he thinks anyone who short-changes Bajor (perhaps by allying with the Cardassians) is an enemy.

--Sran

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. Half the book was a non-Trek story whose inclusion was justified only by wormhole magic. The assassination stuff was underwhelming too - it was immediately obvious that Enkar didn't do it or at the very least was manipulated into it, but the crew seemed almost apathetic about finding out who was really responsible. And considering the technology available to them, why wasn't there a forcefield between the podium and the people? Didn't they learn anything from STVI? I was also surprised that the event was locked down and news prevented from leaving the station for awhile. I'd assumed the speeches at such an unprecedented gathering of heads of state would have been broadcast live throughout the quadrant.

I like the new DS9 station. But instead of the Hub, I think they should run it from the park, sitting in the grass using iPads:)

9. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do we know for sure that Ishan had knowledge of the assassination attempt?
    The Poisoned Chalice revealed that his Tellarite aide assisted The True Way, but was that with Ishan's knowledge? I could see the aide acting on his own, either to do something he knew Ishan would object to, or in order to give Ishan plausible deniability.
    I'm really looking forward to finding out how this all turns out!

That'd be awesome! :lol:

10. Osquevel

Osquevel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I had two long bus rides this weekend and finished Revelation and Dust and The Crimson Shadow, in about two sittings apiece.

I appear to be in the relative minority here who was very pleased with Revelation and Dust. It felt to me, as it has to others, as the “re-relaunch” of DS9 and also as the buildup to the key event in The Fall. I appreciated George taking time to bring us up to speed not only with the history, but with the psychology of the major and minor players in the DS9 world, giving almost everyone some much-needed attention, while splicing in granules of other information to paint a picture of the wider universe as it stands in the relative calm before the storm.

The book felt more like a series of vignettes into the lives of the characters, with the slow build of the dedication ceremony providing the undercurrent, while Kira’s arc inside the wormhole provided the forward momentum from chapter to chapter, up until the dedication ceremony.

I am reminded of the similar event at the end of the first season of Babylon 5, and the season’s closing shot of Sinclair and Sakai discussing how “everything is different now.” For DS9, we’ve only caught glimpses of these characters over the last 7 or 8 years so some time needed to be spent on how things were before, in order to underscore how things would be different after. In that sense, George was imminently successful in my view.

As to one other common criticism seen in my quick perusal of the thread thus far was the recapitulation, almost shot-for-shot, of Sisko’s wormhole experience in “Emmisary” I initially took it at relative face value, underscoring the connection between Kira, Sisko, and the prophets (as people), exploring that a little bit deeper, and in connection with elements of Sisko’s vignette, also exploring the connections and roles of the Emissary, the Hand, and the Avatar. It wasn’t until I finished The Crimson Shadow and its references to reading the same thing with a new perspective that the what may have been the point of revisiting “Emissary” actually was. I’ll reserve final thoughts on that until I’ve read more of The Fall.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished this book. It took me forever to read it. I think it was well-written but very ponderous. At first I cringed at the Kira/Keev storyline. Once again, well-written, but I think it went on too long and I didn't get a lot of it, or always understand the symbolism. The most important event in the book, pertaining to Bacco, didn't get the attention it deserved.

I also thought the book had too many characters and spent too much time focusing on them instead of focusing on the main story, which should've been Bacco. Though I guess the main story was Kira/Keev. Perhaps this wouldn't have bothered me as much but I find many of the new DS9 characters bland and there wasn't much new written about the old/returning characters that made me tear through their scenes. I was mostly pleased with DRG III's treatment of Sisko this time around though, even though I wouldn't have minded having him more in the book.

I'm not too upset to see what happened to Bacco. I'm not a big fan of that character. She's too goody goody for my taste.

The book ends with three big cliffhangers. One hopefully will be resolved in the future books, but I can see two of them getting follow-ups in future DRG III novels. I was most intrigued by the one involving the Typhon Pact. The other two, while intriguing, didn't light a fire under me.

I've been on the fence about DRG III for a while now. If he wasn't returning to Harriman and doing a sequel to my favorite novel of his, Revelation and Dust might have been my final DRG III novel.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Read this a couple of weeks back.

I really enjoyed the main plot, DRGIII really conveyed the shock of the assassination very well. The links to the previous books were done well too.

The flaw was in the Kira plotline, I can't really see any reason for it so the only conclusion I can draw is that it's going somewhere, which means future books. I'm also suspecting we may get the Ascendants story told by stealth, which I'd also be happy with.

Still, it was a good opener, though I'm uneasy over Sisko's daughter's likely fate from what was suggested here.

13. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

I've been away from Treklit and indeed any Star Trek for a very long time, mainly due to fatigue and having issues with some of decisions that were taken with the direction of the novels. I'm ashamed to say that Rough Beasts of Empire was one of those that drove me away. Upon reading the section where Sisko walked out on Kassidy Yates and his entire family, I literally threw the book across the room! :alienblush:

I've read the occasional Original Series releases here and there as well as keeping up with Kirsten Beyer's absolutely fantastic Voyager series, but beyond that nothing. Until the urge took me to download this novel the other day. It certainly was a brave decision given that it was David R. George III and his take on DS9 that partially drove me away in the first place.

I'm so glad I did and I absolutely feel ridiculous for being driven away in the first place. Others in this thread have pointed out that the novel felt like a pilot and, indeed, it proved so for me. Obviously you couldn't not be aware of the destruction of the original Deep Space 9 and Kira's disappearance, but the rest was completely unknown. David manage to explain everything that I needed to know so that I was able to enjoy the novel.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't faultless: it did feel as if the Keev stuff was getting in the way of the main story. You'd get to the end of a gripping chapter on DS9, turn the page and then groan when the first word was Keev. However, I soon got over that and was just as interested in it as I was by the main story. Quite a few shockers in this one!!! :rommie:

In short then, it was a perfect novel to restart on for me as the whole set up of who's who and what's what was done, and frankly it was great to see (nearly) ever character that I loved from Deep Space Nine TV series and novels get a look in. Top stuff.

14. Jedi Ben

Seriously, I get that reaction and had I read it when Plagues of Night / Raise The Dawn did not exist, I would have likely done similar which is why I avoided. Then I heard a ton of stunningly positive comments about that pair in relation to RBoE.

So, go buy those 2 books, then return to RBoE, but treat it as Act 1 of a trilogy - and the darkest act at that - and I think you'll find it to be one hell of a good story!

15. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the heads up, Jedi Ben. :) I certainly plan to go back and read them based on the information that was relayed in Revelation and Dust about the destruction of Deep Space 9, it certainly sounds quite harrowing.

16. Jedi Ben

Without engaging in spoilers - it's actually not!

It's hard to really do this without giving the game away but that 2-parter was, even with the destruction of the station, still one of the most optimistic epics I've seen. RBoE is not representative of what you'll find in these books despite it continuing the plotlines RBoE started.

Put it this way, a lesser story would have gone the opposite direction this duo go in and likely have gotten a 10-book series out of it. That doesn't happen.

The best non-spoiler way I can put it is that Plagues of Night / Raise the Dawn show the Federation finally recovering from the events of Destiny in decisive and positive fashion.

17. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

Just finished Revelations and Dust two days ago - I'd been spoiled about a few things beforehand in this thread (I just couldn´t find the time to read and was too curious), so that might have influenced my opinion.

All in all, I quite liked it. It reads very much like a "part 1 of X", and I'm not just refering to the DS9 side of the plot. I very much liked Bacco and am sorry to see her go, but I think the fallout of the event was handled as well as it could be. I really felt for Ro, having first lost the old DS9 and now having to face the death of a president on her watch, on what should have been a happy occasion. R&D is also the first time that I really begin to see what kind of captain Ro is, possessing neither the stability that Sisko gained nor Kira's passion, but with a drive to prove herself that's all her own. It's also good to see she still has Quark for support. The scene where he comes to comfort her after disaster has stuck was very well done. His ringing her doorbell throughout the night to find out when she came home was a very sweet touch and I like that this odd relationship is still going strong.

As for the Kira/Keev plot, I´m not as against it as some previous posters seem to be. These Prophet visions are part and parcel of what DS9 is, always salted with a bit of uncertainty of whether or not we're being shown real events or if it's just in someone's head ("My dear Harry... Of course it's all in your head - but whatever makes you think it's not real?"). Altek's final appearance underscores that, as I'd previously envisioned Keev's work at rebuilding the cave passage as an analogy for "internal repairs" to the wormhole. The highlight of this storyline for me though, is in the very beginning. Kira's evolving relationship with Sisko is one of the great strengths of DS9 for me, and her being shown his inital meeting with the Prophets in all its raw emotion was heartbreaking. It underlined for me that she no longer considers him her Emissary first, but rather her friend. As for the end of the story, it really left me wanting more. There is a certain dangling Jem'Hadar plot thread that has always been top of my "what happened during the time we missed" list, and I've always enjoyed Taran'atar as a character.

Over all, Above Average from me. Now continuing with The Crimson Shadow, as my having fallen behind on my reading at least allows me to read the entire Fall series back-to-back now...

18. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I didn't really grasp the hidden meaning behind those scenes until I starting re-reading the novel in preparation for Sacraments of Fire in June; it explains why Keev/Kira is seeing things when Veralla is senting up the equipment in the mountain.

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it was ridiculous to be angered/disgusted with Rough Beasts of Empire. I really disliked what happened to Sisko in that book. I don't care if it was a 'pilot' or the first part of a saga. It shouldn't have happened in the first place.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just started reading this one Friday, and I already have to agree with one complaint I remember people having when this first came out. The whole sequence with Kira watching Sisko's first encounter with the Prophets is dragging on way to long. I really think we could have just gotten the beginning and the end of the scene and it would have gotten the point across. I understand DRGIII might have felt he wanted to redo the whole scene in case people didn't remember it, but for those of us who do it feels really unnecessary. He could have just jumped to the end of the scene and then done a recap, rather than spending 22 pages on line for line, beat for beat recreation of the entire (or at least most of the) scene.

Jinn likes this.