Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

So, this book really is the cat's meow...? :lol: Sorry for the bad humor, I couldn't resist. Many reviews I have seen have made a point of saying it's great for cat people...I mean people who love cats. That works for me, I love them.

I vaguely recalled the connection being small, but it was a small factor alongside the high ratings that helped me talk myself into it...cats helped, too.

I read Judith and Garfield Reeve-Steven's Prime Directive, and the first book of a series called The Chronicles of Galen Sword, both were very enjoyable (particularly Prime Directive) and their prose is very agreeable and goes down well for my brain.

2. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Yeah, it's a really good book. There's a few pages of hokey dialogue between kirk/spock and a guest character, but other then that it's great. Everything regarding the aliens is fantastic and very well thought out.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Reeeves Stevens novel Federatiion is really good you may also like Prime Directive and Memory Prime. Spock has been accused of a crime he didn't commit. the Original crew has a some great story arcs in this nove There's some interesting guest characters in this bookl.Uhura's song is one of my favorite Tos books.

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I still have very fond memories of this one. It was actually the first ST book I bought with my own money. With my awesome kid-logic, the reason I picked it was because it was the thickest of the offerings on the shelf, so *obviously* it was the best value for the money! :lol:

Good ol' Snnanagfashtalli. (Yes, I had to look up the spelling! :))

I remember liking this one, and yes, most of the book takes place on Vulcan. This was one I never picked up new when I had the chance, so I've always been on the lookout for a new-looking copy, which of course I've never found.

All I remember about Shadow Lord is that I did not like it at all.

This one's a classic, and is probably my most frequently reread ST novel.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Dayton Ward is running a competition on his blog at
    http://daytonward.wordpress.com/2013/07/22/the-hunt-for-from-historys-shadow-begins/
    for the first five people to photograph his new TOS novel, "From History's Shadow", in a bookshop.

A few minutes after I noticed his announcement yesterday, I received email notification that my standing order copy was awaiting collection at Galaxy Bookshop, in Sydney's CBD. Great timing. Thanks Galaxy! Since I'm currently doing a writing course over five Thursday nights, I made a special trek into the city this evening, and the sales staff were very accommodating:

[​IMG]
    Dayton Ward's Star Trek: From History's Shadow by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    With the Shat by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Spotted at Galaxy by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Muppet Therin at Galaxy by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

I probably have a better chance of winning this (autographed copy of the book) than with his previous contest, which was to take one of Dayton's books on vacation. I was actually on post-term holidays, but just bumming around the house, but it was July 4, so I sent him the best Americana I had on hand:

[​IMG]
    Dayton's Challenge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

GOT IT!

I was number four in Dayton's contest!

[​IMG]

7. Therin of Andor

8. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Nice contest - kudos to Dayton.

And congrats to the two of you for being in the top five!

9. Therin of Andor

Thanks!

Not to forget Botany Bay Jr.

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you! I was pretty stoked!

11. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

My latest acquisitions:

[​IMG]

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just got myself the Nookbook version of ST:TP: Brinkmanship as part of my effort to get up to date on the TNG books.

13. Therin of Andor

Last week, Galaxy Bookshop in Sydney, Australia, had the 2014 TOS calendar and Star Trek desk block calendar in stock and I've just been notified that "Revelation and Dust" (#1 in "The Fall) by David R George III, and the 2014 "Ships of the Line" calendar, have arrived Down Under. Very pleasing about the calendars as local distribution has been unreliable in recent years.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the new Startrek Revelations and dust and some of The Best of Startrek books from one of the used book stores on sale they were books I've been looking for a long time.

15. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

The weekend before last I picked up a few novels from the used book store. I got the Star Trek: The Brave and the Bold duology and two New Frontier novels, After the Fall and Treason. They didn't have Missing in Action or I would have got that too.

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Well, what would you expect? ;)

17. Therin of Andor

Maybe it was cloaked?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got the e-book version of STVOY: The Eternal Tide for my Nook today. Once I read it Voyager will be the first current ongoing Trek series I am completely up to date on.

19. Therin of Andor

[​IMG]
    Dayton Ward's "Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Zwietracht" has arrived by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Woo hoo! Can't read a word of it, but I found my name (as beta reader of the English edition) and New Therin Park, too. I'm curious about the essay by Christian Humberg at the back of the book. In German, of course, but seemingly discusses the Andorians of "Enterprise", the DS9 Relaunch novels, "Andor: Paradigm" and the Aenar.

20. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Send the book here. I'll be able to read the essay. Well, not me exactly, but I could get my wife to read it as she can speak German.