New Model of 1701

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Kirkunit, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Kirkunit

Kirkunit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey All,

I started teaching myself SolidWorks this year & back in the Spring I posted renders of the Galileo I built. More recently, I started building a model of the original E & I thought I'd share my progress.

The model is built from a combination of Casimiro's plans & pictures culled from the interwebs. I have a ways to go (and a few corrections I need to make), but here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's awesome! I've been using solidworks and it's not the nicest thing to use. Even getting curved surfaces seems to have eluded me.

Great work!

3. Kirkunit

Thanks! You're right: SolidWorks is a constant struggle for us. Unfortunately, it's what our industry calls for right now. I much prefer surface modeling in Alias. However, SolidWorks is parametric, so the models we make are much more robust. And, if you're patient (or stubborn) you can get SolidWorks to do what you need.

I should also mention the renderings were done in Keyshot. Not too pretty, yet -- but when I'm far enough along to add textures she should really start to come together.

4. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You ever use Rhino3D? I love it. Solidworks is a PITA, despite being parametric.

5. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice work there :techman:

6. Kirkunit

Unfortunately, we can't use Rhino for work. Our clients usually require Pre/E or SolidWorks. The few Rhino files we're received over the years have been pretty poor quality -- usually to the point of having to be rebuilt.

7. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's really odd. Rhino is a great program: it's similar to AutoCAD (except more coherent) and it's surface and NURBS tools are incredible and fast.

8. Kirkunit

Update! Got the struts in, plus started adding all the windows. BTW, all comments, questions & nitpicks are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kirkunit

Update time! I believe I have all the geometry done & I'm starting to break out the different shaders. None of the colors are final at this point, but this is sort of the way the work flow between SolidWorks & Keyshot works.

BTW, I don't have any texture maps at this point (bump or displacement). The fluting at the rear of the nacelles is modeled & patterned geometry.

Any & all comments, nitpicks, etc. are welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking good!

11. Sumghai

Sumghai Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hot stuff! Nice to see excellent work from a fellow SW user!

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Looking really good!

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

That's gorgeous! I want that top image to have all of it's markings in place and be the wallpaper for my computer!

--Alex

14. Kirkunit

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. No updates today, but I corrected a few things that were bugging me (mostly window sizes & location on the saucer).

I thought I would mention, though, what I'm aiming for from an 'accuracy' standpoint. My target is the production version of the 11-footer with the following notes:

The nacelles, neck and secondary hull on my model are symmetrical. I believe this was the design intention. I chose to make all the windows symmetrical, as well.

The saucer is not symmetrical -- at least the windows aren't. The 11-footer shows different window patterns on the port side & that's what I chose to follow.

As I mentioned above, I'm using the Casimiro plans as my main guide. But, I have found a few little things in those drawings that needed correcting. I'm also using all the photographic references I can find including screen caps & Smithsonian pictures.

The tricky thing with the Smithsonian pics, is reconciling all the changes that were made to the model which weren't present during the series' production.

Back to work... :)

15. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I highly recommend this catalog made by Tallguy: http://www.trekplace.com/tosfxcatalog.html for screen caps. You are right that the Smithsonian model some liberties were taken with the details. Keep it up!

16. Kirkunit

That's awesome, thanks. I also found that Trekcore has HD screen caps, AND some episodes have the CG Enterprise shots next to HD versions of the old model shots. So, basically, they're the same old shots we've all seen, just higher res & (somewhat) more detail.

17. Kirkunit

Another update. I'm starting to add all the markings, textures, etc. Nothing is really 'final' here, but once I get all the parts together then I'll start tweaking them.

BTW, most of these marking are from the Photoshop/Illustrator files I made years ago when I built this in Alias. My research was pretty solid back then & all my markings seem to be holding up. Fun fact: when I built my 22" Cutaway model (in a not-cutaway-configration) I printed my own decals using these same markings. :)

[​IMG]

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Very nice. :techman:

19. Kirkunit

Update time. I made some pretty good progress this week. I have most of the graphics on (but none of the weathering, yet). And, I started tackling the Bussard Collectors -- or, "power domes" if you're old school. :)

Having done this before in Alias, I know it's a tricky thing to make the domes look right. They're not done, but I think I've got a handle on how to dial them in.

As always, any comments, nitpicks, etc. are welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Kirkunit

Happy Halloween! (And, another update.)

I started weathering her & I've been working on the Bussard Collectors. I also noticed the registry & grid lines on the upper saucer are a little out-of-whack. I need to take another look at those graphics.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]