Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Finished the Companions Chronicle A Town Called Fortune. I'm not particularly fond of Westerns in general, so, the fact I enjoyed this is quite the testament to the writing and Maggie Stables/Evelyn.

Finished The Crime of Thomas Brewster. Nice little mystery in this one, and previously I had listened to The Companion Chronicle The Three Companions and been totally confused by Thomas Brewster in it. This story gave me a little context on him.

Only Feast of Axos and Industrial Evolution left, and in the Special Features of The Crimes of Thomas Brewster they kept referring to it as a Trilogy, so, I assume Thomas Brewster will be in those two as well.

2. Sindatur

Finished up the Evelyn Smythes. The Feast of Axos was an excellent follow up/sequel to The Claws of Axos Pertwee Story. Thomas Brewster is a Good character, not your typical Companion.

Industrial Evolution I enjoyed, the Adversary was quite creepy and sort of a twist on Cybermen in a way, though they could have explained where it came from a bit better. Bellfrage was a pretty cool character, and I'd be interested in listening to an audio with him where Industrial Evolution left off.

I liked quite a few of her stories, but, Jubilee I think was the best, it's one of the absolute top BF Doctor Who Audio Plays I've listened to.

So, I'm off to listen to some Pern for at least a book or two (Probably wait until Gallifrey is released before returning to The Doctor Whoniverse), when I'll listen to Gallifrey, Dalek Empire 1, My subscription Main lines that have built up by then (2 so far), and the First 50 for $2.99 that I've recently bought (7 so far) and may buy before then.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'll be in my bunk.:drool:

I doubt it. She hasn't even done any DVD interviews, IIRC.

Did we ever find out what happened to Sarah Jane's nephew/ward/whoever that kid was from "A Girl's Best Friend"?

Commander Maxil?;)

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I know, although she still does the conventions.

5. Sindatur

It turns out when she laid down for her nap, Ben and Polly Tied her up and left her in a warehouse, and then lied to the Doctor saying "Oh, Dodo says she's happy here, and she's staying, so she told us to say goodbye for her and take her place". And then of course, The Doctor just took this at face value and abandoned her, so, yea, she's a little bitter and not about to set foot in that TARDIS again, Lord knows where he might abandon her the next time ;)

6. The Borgified Corpse

Really? Then why isn't she on the DVDs?

7. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Lane does many conventions, for the same reason she isn't on the DVDs-- she doesn't want to spend a lot of time going over and over her brief involvement with Doctor Who. She did a long interview in the Myth Makers series, and appears at occasional events, but she's not really active on the convention circuit in the way many actors are.

8. The Borgified Corpse

I get that. Although, it would be nice if they'd at least gotten her on record on that "End of the Line" documentary about Hartnell's final season on "The Gunfighters."

9. Sindatur

Finally finished the Last Thomas Covenant Book and, so, back to The Whoniverse.

Listened to Gallifrey Series 6, and loved it. Lots of Timey-Wimeyness and Temporal Techno-Babble (Lala Ward is fantastic with reciting Techno-babble). I especially loved Narvin's idea at the end, and then Romana's Revelation of what she did. A very fitting end to the Series, IMHO. Listening to the Behind the Scenes disk now, and then on to a group of about 10 of the First 50, and then the last 5 or 6 Main Range releases from my Subscription.

The December Main Range (that gives you Trial Of The Valleyard as a bonus, if your subscription includes December) is released. Anyone know when Trial of The Valleyard will be available for download, since it's Requirement release is out?

10. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's out now, it's just listed as bonus content on Afterlife.

Jackie Lane does the occasional signing but doesn't do conventions.

11. Sindatur

Ah, OK, I didn't have a chance to download Afterlife yesterday, when I noticed it had been added to my Library, 'cause my computer was doing other things.

Cool, thanks

12. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Listened to Loup Garoux today.

13. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

From now through next Monday, Big Finish is offering main range releases 51-75 for £5 each.

14. Pindar

Yes I blew £60 last night filling in the gaps in my collection. Tried to convince my wife I was actually saving £100.

15. Pindar

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it really that good? I'm not quite there yet...

17. Pindar

I liked it, but I like all the 8th Doctor adventure, so I am biased in my opinion.

I like Molly but she is no Charley.

18. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothing exceptional in my eyes. Or should that be ears?

19. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

While browsing Big Finish's catalog tonight, I noticed that Heroes of Sontar is currently a 2.99 download for no apparent reason. It's not part of Big Finish for a Fiver nor was it part of the Christmas sale. Most peculiar!

http://bigfinish.com/releases/v/heroes-of-sontar-312

20. Pindar

Ha, might as well grab it then. I have spent a lot of money since christmas on the BF site.