Should TNG have had different Star Fleet uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by newtontomato539, Nov 19, 2012.

1. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

I really don't like the torso side panels, the belly point and the butt point on the Seasons 1-7 officer standard duty uniforms.

I like the dress, Darmok, DS9 mark 1(Emissary), DS9 mark 2 (First Contact), Generations prototype and Bad Robot 2256 uniforms.

Keep it simple.

What about taking off the shoulder points?

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I had the power to go back in time or rewrite history from the present, I would've given the prototype Generations uniforms to the TNG costume crew and maybe would've said to modify the collars and just let them use those for all 7 seasons. They looked pretty classy and not as "stylized for the sake of stylizing" as the TNG uniforms we did get.

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Variations I liked that would have been a good change for the show

The Ro suit
    [​IMG]

The Pressman
    [​IMG]

The Pulaski
    [​IMG]

The Picard Vest, reminiscent of the Kirk Vest
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It was the Starfleet "arrowhead" insignia. Those uniforms incorporated the design.

I liked the TNG uniforms from Seasons 3-7, although I understand they were incredibly uncomfortable for the actors to wear (the seasons 1-2 uniforms were only slightly worse as far as comfort was concerned, IIRC).

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, weren't both uniforms made out of spandex or something like that? I recall hearing that it was some sort of stretchy material and the way they made the uniforms in S1 resulted in back strain.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The S3-7 uniforms were made of wool, two piece (shirt and pants) and had the belt. I'm sure it was much more confortable for the actor. Hell, it LOOKED much more comfortable to me.

The one-piece spandex jumpsuits from S1-2 always looked terrible not to mention cheap.

The uniforms were changed because Patrick Stewart's chiropractor warned that they risked permanent back injury if they kept wearing the S1-2 uniforms.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather liked the Season 3-7 uniforms. Although I did think the FC uniforms looked even cooler, with the black and gray, and wish they had been thought of earlier.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Whenever I think of TNG, I always think of the characters in the S3-7 uniforms. I will always rewatch those seasons more than the TNG movies.

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I think there should've been a wider variety of uniforms presented in TNG. There were captains variants but there could have been more variants, such as away team jackets or environmental gear.

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I actually liked about Generations was that there was a crossover happening, where there seemed to be no problems with them switching back & forth between the TNG post S3 uniforms & the Voyager/Early DS9 ones. There's many scenes where both are in use simultaneously

Since Starfleet is more relaxed than a traditional military structure, I could see that kind of practice working. Command officers being allowed some personalized variants, & a few standard variants permitted to all crew

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My favorite TNG era uniforms are the uniforms introduced in First Contact followed by the S3-7 uniforms.

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

They were perfect for a sci-fi show of the era.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Very true.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

From what I've read in interviews with various cast members, they were anything but comfortable. IIRC, there were complaints that they were tight around the shoulders, tight around the waist, and very difficult to raise your arms in (the tunic also had a tendency to shoot completely up into your neck when doing so, forcing everyone to do a "Picard maneuver" afterward when doing anything other than standing or walking).

According to Robert Beltran and Garrett Wang, the early DS9/VOY uniforms were even more uncomfortable to wear.

15. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a real military, there is a WIDE VARIETY of different uniforms in use at any one time. It would be interesting to see this variety. The only time we saw anything remotely like this was in Generations.

16. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    Not entirely true. The variety of uniforms in The Motion Picture approaches what you're talking about. Granted, the color palette was terrible, but you have to admit there was a little something for everyone. I especially liked the collared t-shirt variants. If they had kept the color scheme of the original show, it would have been perfect.

I always appreciated the idea of having a military structure in Star Trek, yet having a somewhat relaxed, utopian quality to it all. There's a command structure, but people can still relax and wear comfortable clothes, hang out in the arboretum, go to the recreation deck, kick back in bean bags, whatever (not that there were bean bags in Star Trek, but I would totally have replicated a few for my quarters, because bean bags are totally awesome).

The Wrath of Khan is obviously a great Star Trek film, but I feel like things got too far into a strict military structure than I would have wanted. TNG got it just right--that was the original aim of ST: Phase II, and that's precisely how I envision the "military" of the future being like. TMP actually appeared to try and approach what TNG perfected, and I liked that too.

17. sbk1234

Right, I did forget TMP with ALL THOSE UNIFORMS!

18. Minuet

lol, it was almost like there weren't any rules in TMP.

Casual Friday on the Enterprise, every day!

19. sbk1234

Maybe it just happened to take place on a Friday.

20. Minuet

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012