Whovian Whumor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Neroon, Apr 27, 2011.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I got very teary-eyed, seeing Tom Baker again. But then, I'm a big sap, and I also tried to stay "un-spoiled," so it was a big surprise for me.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except in this case there were news headlines declaring "Tom Baker reveals guest appearance in the 50th." Even if I had wanted to avoid spoilers, I would have found out.

3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yes.

ETA: didn't get the Baker headlines Down Under, and so remained relatively unspoiled.

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I guess I was "lucky", because I didn't see any of those headlines, so Tom's appearance was a genuine surprise for me. Like AuntieHill, I got rather "nostalgic" when the camera cut to Tom's face. Shoot, I openly wept! Then again, I've always worn my emotions upon my sleeves.

Sincerely,

Bill

5. Redfern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6aAEiyeyc

The latest "Robot Chicken" (which aired Sunday, July 14, 2014) featured a Doctor Who parody as the "closing act". This is the third time since the animated series began DW has been referenced and by far the longest segment (roughly 2 and a half minutes). The segment "stars" the resident Robot Chicken "nerd" who drives the Doctor to distraction. I should warn you the Doctor figure is not based upon any actor who has played him and he possesses no semblance of British accent. (Given that Patrick Stewart occasionally does voice work for RC, it would have been a hoot for "Picard" to voice the character.) However, The police box model is pretty accurate and what little we can see of the console seems to be inspired by the latest design that debuted in "The Snowmen".

Sincerely,

Bill

6. auntiehill

^ :lol:

I love Robot Chicken sometimes.

"Hey, nice sound stage!"

7. The Wormhole

Their Doctor kind of reminds me of Pertwee.

8. Redfern

I didn't mind RC's "unique" design, though "out of context" (without a police box, Daleks, etc.) I probably would not have guessed who the figure was meant to depict. I just wished the performer had made a better attempt at some kind of British accent. Even a "mock Cockney" would have been, well, something. Like I stated above, it would have been the perfect opportunity to employ Sir Patrick's talents. Shoot, he spoofed none other than Picard only two episodes ago.

Still, I'm glad DW finally got more attention than a "quick cut" on the show.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I think their Doctor managed a passable mid-Atlantic accent. Oddly, their Doctor's head reminded me of Peter Capaldi, the timbre of the voice reminded me of Paul McGann, and the costume reminded me of a cross between Tom Baker and that purple number that Matt Smith wore during his later episodes.

I got pretty stoked by the cameos in "The Day of the Doctor" but my exterior reactions were much more subdued. On the other hand, I cannot relate to the uncontrollable weeping that some fans exhibited when Matt Smith regenerated. That's just disturbing.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JaD-B-PIQ[/yt]

There's a delicate art to Hitler videos but I think this one is one of the best at combining the gestures with the new subtitles.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlH9y68dgbY[/yt]

10. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I saw that earlier and it's very impressive. I would be even more intrigued to see a Big Finish version and one with both combined.

12. The Wormhole

Interesting. Since it says at the top "Regular episodes only" I assume webisodes were excluded, since Paul McGann's run seems only to count the amount of time he was onscreen for in the telemovie.

How thorough is this otherwise? Do they include the multi-Doctor specials in with the returning former Doctors? What about Tennant and Smith's appearances on SJA? Is the Curator scene included in Tom Baker's count? Is Sylvester McCoy's appearance in the telemovie included? After all, Paul McGann's leaves out the length of time in the movie prior to the regeneration.

13. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

My daughter found this little bit of Whovian crossover humor today... might be mild spoilers if you haven't see "Guardians of the Galaxy" yet.....

Link to Tumblr

14. The Wormhole

^^Now that made me smile! :techman:

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

George Takei posted this meme on Facebook. You don't need to be a member to view it.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

17. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

18. auntiehill

I SO want that doll!! :lol:

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I want a "Smile Time" style team-up between Fourth Doctor plush and "Angel" plush.

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yes! My two favorite things together!