Star Trek TNG Reboot coming?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by LtChange, May 26, 2014.

1. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

http://io9.com/drew-goddard-leaves-...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Maybe this is true and they will introduce (as a time traveler?) Deanna already in Star Trek 2016?

2. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope not.

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The source of the rumor is Marina Sirtis. I suspect this is rather like how Michael Dorn keeps talking about the "Captain Worf" show that'll be happening any day now.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One generation living vicariously through the Next. No, thanks. I hope the kids eventually have their own version of Star Trek. Something that doesn't already exist.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I almost want Troi in the next movie in the TOS era, because I don't think we've ever actually been told her age and suddenly making her 100+ at the time of TNG would generate some entertaining fan meltdowns.

6. BigJake

Any woman who could like like late Eighties-early Nineties Marina Sirtis at the age of 100 would immediately become a million times more badass.

7. F. King Daniel

:lol:
    But... but... the long-held fan assumptions!

8. BigJake

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh dear gods I hope not!

Deanna Troi was born on March 29, 2336 (according to Memory Alpha, so it was established from one canon source). Then again this would be NuTrek so that'd go out the airlock--they'd probably make her three-breasted as well :rolleyes:

10. BigJake

^ Nah, they'd save that for Wesley. ;)

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If they want a three-breasted girl they should just go with the original, Lycia Naff from Verhoeven's Total Recall.

12. F. King Daniel

Memory Alpha includes things like illegible graphics and things in the scripts but cut from episodes as canon, so it's entirely possible her age has not actually been established.
    True to Roddenberry's original concept;)

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Roddenberry sure was rather freaky.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Seems odd to me that a fully-licensed, multi-species, practicing therapist would only be 28 years old. Which would be Troi's age in "Encounter at Farpoint" if you use the 2336 date.

Troi was originally suppose to have three-breasts. So what's the problem?

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I hate to reign in on the fun but "Dark Page" (TNG Season 7) shows that Troi had an older sister who died as a young girl that Troi didn't know about. At the time, Troi's father was wearing an early-24th Century style uniform (TWOK uniform with undershirt but no collar).

Sorry. I know it's not as fun as saying "There's nothing to say that she wasn't 100!" but there we are.

Everything's up in the air for the new universe but in the old one, no dice. :p

16. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Done.

[​IMG]

Next?

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if you look at the logic, cbs will want exploit what has worked successfully in the past for Star Trek. For the movies its Kirk and company for TV, TNG was the most popular of all the modern series. I would not surprise me if they wanted to reboot it somehow, there next best option is to just go forward (post nemesis, maybe the 25th century) and have the Enterprise-F or G with a new crew etc..

18. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Captain Captain

I wouldn't mind a TNG reboot. While I enjoyed the J.J. Abrams movies, I do want a move back to the more dramatic storytelling of classic Trek. They could do a TNG reboot that mixes the drama of the old and the adventure of the new and have lots of story potential originating from the Abrams-verse. What if the Romulans are working behind the scenes to try manipulate the balance of power in the quadrant because they've learned of their planet's fate in the original timeline? You could have the exploration of TNG mixed with the political drama of DS9. I'd be interested in seeing how things play out in that timeline.

19. The Colonel

The Colonel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Star Trek will come back to television eventually, it's too big of a name and too much of a potential cash cow. I think CBS or whoever winds up being in charge of a new series will not want to take the risk of doing something completely original. I think what we are most likely to see is a TOS reboot for the small screen with a new cast and no connection to the movies. A TNG reboot is also possible, since TNG had a wide cultural impact and recognition. In this era of reboots and reimagining's network execs will want a new Star Trek series to have as much day one familiarity with the audience as possible. Right now CBS doesn't seem to know what it wants to do with the TV rights it owns and is probably waiting for the current movie series to end.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Oh, I know. She showed up on TNG a year before Total Recall came out, though they were probably filmed around the same time.

Geordi's probably checking out the one in the middle.