12th Doctor Costume?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So now we know who our twelfth doctor will be, what should he wear? Should he go for the more normal look that the ninth and tenth doctors sported, somewhere in-between like the eleventh doctor, something completely out of time and elegant like the first, third, and eight doctors, or even something completely motherfucking batshit crazy like the sixth doctor? :p

I'd like him to sport a long dark coat that looks like something from the 18th and 19th centuries or even medieval. Maybe a waistcoat along the lines of the eighth doctors, maybe even a cravat and pocket watch too. But I'd probably have it in a dark red or black, possibly even ark blue instead of the light gold look though.

What do you all think?

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

My best guess is that he'll be dressed nothing like the last 3 Doctors.

I don't think we'll get one looking as casual as Nine for some time.

Put Capaldi in a suit, even one as quirky as 10's, and he'll look too Malcolm Tucker.

11's outfit was perfect for Matt - the old soul in a young body - but if you put an older actor in it, he's going to look like a university lecturer.

While one might say, just go for the opposite of Matt - put an older actor in a younger man's costume - that's a tricky one to do. Mutton dressed as lamb and all that. Older men dressing like young men frequently look like knobs. IMHO. So my best bet, which will probably be wrong, as usual, is that they'll put him in something flamboyant, like Pertwee, Tom Baker or McGann. Hopefully nothing as frankly silly as Colin Baker's though.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it can't be too out there, but why not have him dress in something slightly futuristic?

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I'd say it's time to return to the Edwardian look, with a long coat, a vest or waistcoat, tweed pants and possibly a hat.

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

ski goggles, bowler hat and a onesie

6. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Construction worker, complete with hard hat.

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We might not even know come Christmas Day when he makes his official debut.

Consider, When we watched Tennant morph into Smith, he still wore his pinstripe suit and trainers. It wasn't until the end of "The Eleventh Hours" that Matt donned his tweed jacket and bow tie. Of course, intrepid fans with camera phones managed to snap candid photos of Smith in his final ensemble a few months before the episode broadcast.

If Capaldi's initial series doesn't air until the Fall of 2014, we probably won't know his outfit until next summer, a good nine months from now.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And now I have an image in my head of Capaldi wearing baggy jeans half way down his ass.

Actually, BBC released an official image of Smith in costume in July 2009, five months before we saw Tennant regenerate. Since filming of season 8 is supposed to start in the winter, that's when we'll get our first look at Capaldi's outfit.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With so many comparisons to the 1st doctor I could see the 12th doctor wearing something like Hartnell.

Capaldi even did the "suit tug" thing the 1st doctor did during the reveal show.

[​IMG]

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's precisely the sort of thing I meant actually! There's another dad at my kids' school, much the same age as myself, maybe older (I'm 41) and he wears stuff like that. First day I saw him, he had pants hanging down his ass. I have wanted to beat him to death with my bare hands ever since.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's odd, because on the one hand I think he'll be very smart and elegant (face it to some degree or another 9,10 and 11 have been every so slightly scruffy) but on the other hand I keep getting a slightly punk image in my head around Capaldi. Not talking safety pins or anything, I can just see a fairly traditional Victorian/Edwardian Doctor look that's offset by something very in your face.

Even Moffat's said that Smith was an old man in a young man's body and has intimated that Capaldi would be the reverse, so much as I imagine he'll lean towards a Pertwee look, I can't help but imagine something quite anarchic about his doctor and hence his look.

Think Third Doctor only instead of a frilly shirt a Sex Pistols t-shirt under the velvet smoking jacket!

12. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since we didn't get a female Doctor I think it's only fair that we get a cross-dressing Doctor. : P

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I can't agree that Tennant's look as scruffy at all, his suits and coats were always clean, unlike say the second Doctor who had no problems getting muddy and even wearing out the knees on his pants at times. Eccleston had a workering class look and Smith's look was more of a middle class look. But I agree and I've said as much Capaldi would return to the Edwardian look.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Oh yes. Yes.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I definitely get Hartnell vibes off that picture. Seeing Capaldi like that, I half expect him to end every second sentence with "hmmm?"

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

My initial thought was something like this:

[​IMG]

but I would also rather like to see him in something warm and summery like this drawing I did a few years back for a theoretical 13th doctor:

[​IMG]

But now I'm beginning to lean towards something kind of 60s or 70s. An aging man who is trying to grab at some youthfulness by appropriating a hip younger style that he is too out of touch to realize is terribly out of date (though perhaps actually ahead of its likely immediate resurgence). Something like THESE perhaps.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

He's even got that inquisitive arrogant smirk of Hartnell Doctor, in that pic

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally copy but update the 1st doctor's seasons

Different stories but feeling like classic Hartnell.

Heck some stories are lost. It wouldn't hurt to do the lost stories since most people never saw them or forgot them.

Twelves going to be a "Strokes" fan and you know it!

Now that you mention it, imagine if twelve's suit plays up Capaldi's Rock band past

[​IMG]

Imagine Twelve wearing that.

Twelve- To hell with the recorder!

*Pulls out electric guitar*

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Being honest I think a lot of it with Tennant comes down to the hair, but although he wears a suit I recall it looking quite crumpled from time to time (hardly surprising given the jacket was made from the material of the trousers so it is slightly more lightweight than a regular suit would be. Throw in the converse trainers, the fact his tie was rarely straight, and the fact he was a bit stubbly at times and I still stand by scruffy. As for Smith, with him again it’s the hair sometimes, but also his lower half, however smart his upper half is, in the first two and a half series he was wearing very scruffy trousers and boots.

I think all three modern Doctors have had great looks and looks that worked for them, but smart isn’t a word I’d associate with them (and yes you could argue that over time the Doctor has maybe been scruffier more often than suave)

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Colin Baker adopted some of those mannerisms too.