De Lancie: What Made Q Tick

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Oct 17, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John de Lancie explained what he liked about his The Next Generation character Q, and what he felt worked best for the character. De Lancie put his own particular brand on the character beginning in the pilot. “…The only place that [director] Corey [Allen] and I had a difference of opinion … is that Corey [...]

More...

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Great little interview :). He was right about making Q the way he was. It fit the character. It gave him that edge that made him so memorable.

3. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

The only things about Q I wish were different were the apparent contradictions concerning the character and the fact that we never saw Q interact with super-powerful beings (such as the Douwd, Prophets, Nagilum, etc.). That would have been interesting, to put it mildly.

4. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

I always thought Q were a very very VERY far future humans.
    And 24th century was a place where some important evolutional steps are to be taken....and Q was there to make sure they are taken

I never believed there was something magical or omnipotent about them. You know, any sufficiently advanced technology will appear like a magic to sufficiently underdeveloped observer. This view on Q I confirmed for myself, when they had that funny "civil war" amd basically what they were doing they shot supernovas at each other