Pushing Daisies 2x5: Grading/Discussion. Spoilers.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by AstroSmurf, Oct 29, 2008.

?

Grade the episode!

1. Excellent

53.3%
  2. Above Average

26.7%
  3. Average

20.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the grading & discussion thread for this week’s episode of Pushing Daisies, 2x5. Spoilers ahead...

[​IMG]
    Dim Sum Loose Some

Ned is startled when a mysterious man appears at the diner claiming to be an old friend and associate of his dad's and asks for his help in finding him. Meanwhile, Emerson investigates a murder at a dim sum restaurant and reunites with Simone, the polygamist's widow and dog obedience trainer who once caught his eye.

Official Website for Pushing Daisies

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do we save this show from cancellation?

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Is it in danger of being cancelled or are you talking about the "I like it so of *course* it'll be cancelled effect"?

Jan

4. exodus

Yahoo reported this week it was one of 5 shows on the chopping block for cancellation.:(

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gotta link to Yahoo?

The fact that ABC turned down Obama's million dollars for a half-hour long ad shows that ABC wants to try to save PD, probably for being a critical darling and its Emmy potential, but it's way on the wrong side of the renew/cancel index.

Another factor in PD's favor is the overall hesitation of networks to cancel series because they have to refund advertisers' money and in this economy, there's no guarantee that money will be coming back to them for whatever the replacement show is.

But PD's demo numbers, not just the total viewers, is what's killing it. 1.9/5, ouch.

6. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

The long hiatus due to the writer's strike couldn't have helped. Darn, I really like that show a lot.

Jan

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Obama vs Pushing Daisies tomorrow? It's going to be a blood bath. :eek:

8. exodus

Not to mention ABC's lack of promotion to let viewers know it's back on.

BTW, I'm looking for the link on Yahoo.

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Gonna say it: I don't want Fuller near any new ST if his shows don't get some kind of numbers. I know his shows are good, but nobody's watching... :(

10. Temis the Vorta

The Republicans will all watch PD. I wonder how they'll like it? :rommie:
    He needs other writers to provide the action-based oomph (which is what I assumed was going on on S1 of Heroes - Fuller provided humor and heart but the show was also a fast-paced thrill ride - and it's still a fast-paced thrill ride but it's lost some of the humor and heart). Fuller's shows are sweet and nice but you gotta have more than that to survive on TV. You gotta sweep up the audience so they forget they even have a channel zapper.

11. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything with Emerson is gold.

Narration in an eight o'clock show using the word "coital." Obama's already ruined the country!:lol:

The twins are a little scary.

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

As in all sci fi/fantasy, they only let a black man become president after the country gets ruined... [tm] credited to some comedian (Chris Rock I think)...

Great to see the gang back together, instead of Olive off at the nunnery. :shifty: The twins were fun, but I wish they'd hired KYLE XY's Matt Dallas to play a brother of Ned, he and Lee Pace-they look and sound so much alike. Maybe they could shoehorn another sibling into the family tree. :)

13. exodus

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  14. Temis the Vorta

Sigh. Another excellent - and some progress on Ned development, too.

And they introduce the "danger" plot thread that I've been thinking could perk up interest, but I dunno, probably too late at this point.

Emerson had some good lines but my favorite was from Ned: "I'm glad Dad got so fun and creative with naming after I left. "Goodbye, Ned. Hello, Mercutio and Ribald."

Dya think Ned's dad has the same power and the "old army buddy" is after revenge for someone who the dad killed when he revived another person? Being in the military certainly would create situations where you'd be tempted to revive a dead buddy without thinking about the consequences.

Dammit don't cancel the show now!!!

15. exodus

Excellent point, I never even considered that.

BTW, it was "Tibald" wasn't it?
    Aren't they characters from "Romeo & Juilet"?

16. Temis the Vorta

17. exodus

I pray you're right.

PD is one of the few original shows on TV, I'd hate to see something so creative get the ax.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

ABC turned down Obama, then changed there mind, but Obama then said no it seems.

ABC turned down Obama's money so that they can burn of a PD episode. The show is DOA, I see no hope, none at all of it continuing past episode 13 unless there is another strike.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

God, I love Emerson! I loved the way he flinched every time Simone hit the clicker. And I loved the running gag of he and Olive always getting in each other's way.

20. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it got its best ratings of the season, but still not a huge improvement.

6.64 million viewers total, and a 2.2/6 for the demo. Still 4th in the timeslot, losing to every other channel's Obama coverage. :(

I haven't seen it yet, had to record it to watch tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to it though after the last 3 great episodes. I really hope it gets picked up for a full season, but it's not looking likely...sigh.