Short story set in ST:TOS-era: TIMELINES

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Sgt_G, Jul 30, 2013.

1. LilyThompson

LilyThompson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh. my. GOSH! You wrote this while you were DEPLOYED?! This is GREAT! It left me sitting back BREATHLESS. You have a real talent. It was cool how you crafted the story so that those who know TOS would get it, but those who don't would as well. I'm considering asking you for help on MY fanfic. Wow. Good story arc, great theme, AND you stayed true to the characters. Well done!

2. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Thank you. To be honest, the story was stuck in my head for six months, but I just couldn't figure out the opening lines. So, when I deployed over there, I had little to do in my down time (couldn't leave the base, no TV in my tent, limited internet access, etc.), and one day I sat down and started typing. After five or six false starts, it finally got going and almost wrote itself. It took me about a week to write. Three days for paragraph 12 and three days for everything else, and then another day to re-write paragraph 18 after a friend reviewed it and said the captain's actions were "out of character". He was right, of course, so I changed it.

You may have noticed that I put a ton of "Easter Eggs" in it. Most of them were from memory, which tells me I've watched more Trek than any sane person should, but also I drove my wife nuts e-mailing home and asking her to look things up for me. I haven't ever sat down to count them all.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  3. Sgt_G

I just went thru this and edited out all the glitches created when I copied from Word to the board. I think it's all good now.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. Dulak

Dulak Commander Red Shirt

I'm going to have to back and read this more carefully. Interesting use of "bold quotes" for the guardian's speech. It seems appropriate somehow. Not quite sure what the "disembodied voice" protocol is in strunk...but it would get tedious identifying it every time it spoke.

5. Sgt_G

Yeah, I had to be very careful with my use of bold and italic fonts. And yes, many people have told me they needed to read it twice to "get it".

Normally, the moderators will lock a topic that's been necro'ed, but I'd like them to leave this one open for a while now that it's been bumped up and new members might see/read and comment.