Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I started a diet/workout routine about 3 weeks ago. So far I've gone from 255 pounds to 240. Weight has been a consistent issue for me in my life, in college I managed to lose 45 pounds from 215 down to 170, which is where I want to get, then start getting into weight training. Since then I let myself go after a slew of family tragedies and a horrendously bad break up a few years ago.

My schedule at work has a built in 2 and a half hour break, which I think will make it easier to maintain a workout routine once I get down to a weight I'm comfortable with. So far, it's 99% cardio, and almost all of that is treadmill time.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:techman:

3. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

^Thanks for the support RAMA! I've now lost 25 pounds!

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Leaning down still, I've lost about 25 lbs now. Doing cardio twice a day! Great workout tonight!

RAMA

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

fuck, that's a shock - stepped on the bathroom scales for the first time in weeks, expecting to see them read 13 and a quarter to 13 and a half stone as they always have done for about 20 years... But no!

Shockingly they read....

12 and three-quarter! WTF?

(I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, but it's always nice to see anyhow)

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

well that's an unusual taekwondo injury - made to sit down on the floor while warming up, to do some sit-ups, and something in my left knee went twang. All the way down the side of the calf to the ankle. You'd think this stuff would happen when trying to do fancy spinning kicks and stuff. Of course, since that was just during warmup, and I'd paid for the session, I went on and did the fancy spinning kicks and fighting and stuff all evening - cos whatever twanged only seemed to affect me when I tried to sit down (so I didn't) or tried spinning clockwise (which I'm weaker at than spinning anticlockwise anyway) - so... it'll be interesting to see whether I can actually walk tomorrow...

So, to the bourbon cabinet! Some booze, chocolate, and Jackie Chan's legendary Drunken Master (with taekwondo master Hwang Jang Lee as the villain) should see me right...

7. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

The going is slow, but I have lost 37 lbs now. Not that much more to go...

EA Sports Active 2 = <3

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Got leaner, staying leaner. Working on planning out my meals 4 days ahead of time.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

So this thread has been pinned without a post for 7 months.

I have hesitated for a long time, mostly out of self-consciousness. But today I thought I would share my story.

I went to the Star Trek convention in San Francisco in November, and my wife and I had photo ops with everyone there.

When we got them back, I was mortified. I have always been heavy, but getting the objective view of the camera, I was disgusted with myself. I knew it was time to do something.

So, on January 8th, 2013, I started Weight Watchers online. I figured, if it could work for the Round Mound of Rebound, it could work for me.

:lol:

Here we are three months later. I have followed the plan religiously, tracking all my points daily, doing everything the plan says to do.

As of today, I have lost 28.5 pounds.

For the first time in my life, I had to buy smaller pants. I have more energy. I just feel better.

I have another 26 pounds to go to hit my goal weight, but I'm more than halfway there. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the plan works. It makes sense. It's easy to follow. The online tools are great.

So I will keep going.

Here's to all of us who struggle.

:beer:

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman: Good for you man!

I'm trying to get myself back into shape. For a while I was doing well but then fell into a slump. Saw this thread but didn't see a recent post in it until now.

11. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Been working out regularly now for a few weeks and started eating healthy (I think that is the hardest part for me). I started Crossfit with some of the guys from work last night and it was great.

I'll be adding the Crossfit into my routine 2 nights a week for now (the nights the guy that I work with is off from his training - he's level 2 certified instructor) on top of my regular morning workouts.

Will probably add some extra cardio in on the nights I don't do Crossfit as well.

12. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am back to eating healthy food as I had neglected my diet and I managed to put back on all the weight I had previous lost.

I am not counting calories this time. I think my last diet was too strict and that is why I gave up on it in the end.

I have lost just over 4 kilos (about 9 pounds) in the last 43 days and I am down to 77 kg. I have set a target of 72 kgs by the end of June and 65 kg by the end of the year.

Exercise is my main problem due to having arthritis (spine, knees, ankles). I am attempting to do 5000 steps a day but sometimes that isn't possible.

13. 1001001

Good for you!

My official weigh in was this morning.

30 pounds!

14. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Good for you, digits!

15. 1001001

35.5, as of yesterday.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

So.. just to join this band here (and another way of keeping me motivated).

I'm a soon to be 38 year old male, 170cm height and as of this morning 150kg bodyweight.

Enough is enough so i have taken active measures. I have bought myself a bike again (strengthened due to my weight) after 10+ years of absolutely no sports.

So far i'm healthy as one can be with such weight.. no blood, joint or other problems (i had a checkup last fall in the hospital due to kidney stones) but time is running out.

I already sweat like a pig when its above 25 degrees Celsius and i have to walk the stairs or just down the street and my doctor is concerned.

Took my first bike ride this morning (way too hot to do so during the day as it's 30+ regularly for the past few weeks) and it was a bit painful but ok for the 30 minutes i managed.

I aim to do this ride as much as i can.. optimum would be to do so each evening after work but i know myself :(

As soon as it gets too cold for bikes i'll switch over to swimming (something i loved to do in ages past).

So wish me luck and above all the willpower not to give up.

17. 1001001

Good job! Kept it up.

I'm at 40.4 pounds lost as of my official weigh in Friday.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Rockin the gym lately, leaned down considerably. I'm 10.7% bodyfat at 234 pounds.

Congrats to all the weight loss success stories out there!!!!

19. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just hitting 52 years of age and I noticed I had to replace most of my slacks because of waist line increases. I have been lazy no longer doing the 40 push ups, the army minimum standard back when I enlisted, but I still walk the multiple miles a day carrying mail up and down hills. On off days I tend to walk a couple blocks to the public park and do the circuit of body weight fitness machines

20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stepping in for the first time. 5'7" Asian male, turned 37 last week. Born with a heart murmur that has never let me be active for very long, but I used that as a crutch long after I grew out of it. Currently work as a sales exec for a software company, and perform improv comedy in a couple groups on the side.

Was pretty skinny (and quite active with karate and Scouts) before puberty, but stopped those and started putting on weight when the short & curlies sprouted. This is also due to the typical sedentary nerd lifestyle that extended to, and through my university years. Summary of known weight landmarks:

1991 - Started doing the looking-up-in-pictures-to-minimize-double-chin thing in ninth-grade class photo. Was selfishly photoshopping pics to remove the extra chin and look slimmer by the end of the decade.

2000 - Met the love of my life when she was in town for a summer work thing. Was around 205 pounds.

2005 - Hated what I looked and felt like. Hated going around fandom conventions sweaty and out of breath. Tangentially, hated being single. Started working out, but had no real diet. Muscle mass started increasing with weight.

2007 - Ran into the love of my life again, decided to do something about it this time.

2008 - Love of my life moves in with me. Weight peaks 229 pounds that week. Didn't work out much, but lost almost twenty pounds that first year simply by ditching the bachelor diet of $5 pizzas, $2 ravioli cans, and bi-weekly purchases of 4/$10 twelve packs of Coke Classic, plus tons of junk food.

2009 - Got married, weighed 209 pounds that month (and more by the end of the honeymoon). Daughter arrives by the end of the year. This was the breaking point for me - I realize that I really have to get fit if I want to be able to watch her grow up and be active with her, and to stay healthy for the sake of my family as much as myself. New motivation, acquired!

2010 - 2011 - With a combination of a healthier diet makeup (but not so much in portions) and various workout videos every other day, plus 30 minutes a day on the treadmill, I shed weight slowly but steadily. Weight loss reaches zenith at around 178 pounds and plateaus at 183.

2012 - Didn't work out regularly or eat well. Mostly just being lazy. Gained back over ten pounds.

Early 2013 - Weighed 194 pounds after a week-long work thing eating nothing but catered five star hotel foods. Screw that. Hopped on the six-week "Shred" diet by Dr. Handsome Blackman (can't remember his name right now) to kickstart things, plus an hour on the treadmill daily, walking over lunch at work, using the stairs at work (I'm on the 14th floor), and regular situps and light weights at home. Got back to 178 pounds by May.

Mid 2013 - At this point, I started a monitoring portions and caloric intake with the awesome "My Fitness Pal" app on my phone and tablets, in combination with the year's workout regime.

Today: 162 pounds.

I've lost 67 pounds since my wife moved in with me, and 32 pounds this year alone. Aiming for an even 150 now, which the internets tell me is at the upper end of what a normal weight Asian guy of my height should be, by the end of the year. I think I can make it - this year I've already lost enough to no longer be categorically obese, and with luck I'll lose the "overweight" moniker as well.

I look and feel better than I did in high school, almost twenty years ago now. I can walk up fourteen flights of stairs before breaking a sweat (and often keep going now for the hell of it, cooling off as I walk back DOWN to my office floor). My abs show without sucking in my shrinking gut. That huge second chin is history and I haven't photoshopped myself more than for lighting purposes for some years now. I've been head of an improv theatre team for ten years, and this summer I did scenes shirtless, without hesitation, when the scene called for it.

And all the while my main motivation is my family. I like what I see in the mirror, but I love doing it for them.

Mark

PS - Bonus - earlier this year I did a comparison of unaltered pictures of me for my family to illustrate how I've changed over the years. Pics are mostly from various conventions or improv shows therein. Click HERE to see it.